What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Perth Red

Post Whore
we are sadlled with the historical debt of the comp growing out of the NSWRL and at some point in time that will have to be addressed. Won't happen for a while but for the last 30 years it has been recognised that there are too many Sydney teams and not enough in the rest of the country. AFL have a 15 year head start on us but one day we will hopefully catch up and have equal representation nation wide.

If this expansion will draw the line in the sand will be very interesting to see. Logically if they agree they will not admit CC until a Sydney team relocates/falls over and will plump for a 4th Q'land and WA team. If they disagree they will go for WA and CC, if they totally disagree and don;t feel a national comp is important they will opt for CC and a 4th Q'land team.

dgsfan

Juniors
The thing is I agree the Bears could be stronger than a few NSW teams (Sharks, Penrith), but until at least 1 of them falls over they shouldn't (and probably won't) be admitted.

RedVee

First Grade
The CC isn't an oversaturated market. It has zero NRL sides. Country NSW only has 1 NRL side. South East Queensland already has 2...

In practical terms the Raiders are Country NSW as well.

IF the NRL could fund expansion teams ala the AFL, where would they go?
I'd say the prime possies would be:
1/ Perth Reds
2/ Qld - but which? 2nd Bris; Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast; CQ
3/ NZ -Wellington or Christchurch
4/ CC - at the expense of a Sydney team relocating to one of the above I suspect.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pretty much right i reckon but I would also throw in PNG, it would be a bit of a money pit with not much financial return for the NRL but would eventually pay massive in terms of Int RL and player availability for the rest of the league.

A 20 team comp including:
Perth
Wellington
CC
2nd Brisbane
Port Moresby
+ Cowboys playing 4 games in Darwin
+ Titans playing 2 games in Rockhampton
+ Cronulla/AN other playing 4 games in Adelaide

would just about be right. Who and how we'd have to reduce along the way to make it happen would be the challenge. Can't see it in my remaining 30-40 years sadly.

applesauce

Bench
Jets NRL bid gains momentum
Chris Garry | 29th December 2010

IPSWICH Jets' NRL bid mastermind Steve Johnson has held meetings with NRL chief executive David Gallop and Ipswich Mayor Paul Pisasale to elicit support for a western corridor NRL club.

The meetings were held just before Queensland Premier Anna Bligh announced her Government would build a stadium in Rockhampton if the Jets' main rival, Central Queensland, was awarded an NRL licence in 2013.

Ms Bligh wrote a letter to Central Queensland NRL bid chief executive Denis Keeffe outlining the State Government's commitment to building a $150 million stadium in Rockhampton if the CQ consortium received an NRL license.

But Mr Johnson said the announcement was of minor consequence, and while Central Queensland was ahead in its planning, it was not the front- runner.

“They have to build everything; we already have it,” Mr Johnson said.

“We are having positive negotiations with Suncorp Stadium. That stadium is already built.

“We already have a successfully run club in the Ipswich Jets and the NRL club would be an extension of that.

“It's fantasy versus reality, and our bid has the reality.”

Queensland company Populous will reportedly design the 20,000-seat Rockhampton stadium, which would be a virtual replica of Skilled Park on the Gold Coast.

Mr Johnson said Mr Gallop gave nothing away during their meeting, held a week ago, which was also attended by Jets' bid consultant Brian Canavan.

“He should go on the World Series of Poker, because he gives you very little,” Mr Johnson said of Mr Gallop.

“We told him about the progress we were making and let him know there is a lot of work being done behind the scenes.

“The best thing we have on our side is the numbers. We have a much larger population than Central Queensland and it's contained in a smaller area with greater growth predicted.”

The feasibility study and business report into the Jets' bid would be finished and presented to Mr Gallop at the end of January.

dgsfan

Juniors
Good news. I'd hardly consider CQ to be the Jets main contender, though. I hope "Brisbane Jets" is one of the possible names available to vote on. Ipswich anything would be a mistake. I think just the name "Brisbane" is associated with success and power, so I think it's a must in their name.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Q'land govt must have some cash if it can find $150mill for a stadium for a little place like Rockhampton! Mind you given one stand is costing us $82mill maybe it will only be 2 sided?

adamkungl

Immortal
Yet has only 3 teams for an entire state. NSW already has 10.

My point being I can pick general areas and say 'this area only has X amount of teams'. Imo it's irrelevant what state either of these teams are in. They are both in heartland areas with similar populations (Ipswich and CC).

On a side note, people keep calling the CC Bears a Sydney side. I'm surprised they aren't claiming the Titans are a NSW side...after all its only an hour or so away...

we are sadlled with the historical debt of the comp growing out of the NSWRL and at some point in time that will have to be addressed. Won't happen for a while but for the last 30 years it has been recognised that there are too many Sydney teams and not enough in the rest of the country. AFL have a 15 year head start on us but one day we will hopefully catch up and have equal representation nation wide.

AFL have 10 teams (i think) in Victoria... Once we bring back Perth we easily exceed the AFLs reach. They have Adelaide...we hopefully have the CC, Newcastle, Townsville, plus REAL support in Sydney and Brisbane.

adamkungl

Immortal
also, looks like Jets (actually more likely the insular QLD media) don't even regard the Bears as competition...

BDGS

Bench
Avoiding valid points, as usual!

Changing what i say and putting into another context completely different to which i was talking in does not make your point (which i still don't get) or anyone else/s point a valid point.

Nobody around here wants them. Or even cares they exist.

My point exactly.

also, looks like Jets (actually more likely the insular QLD media) don't even regard the Bears as competition...

They are idiots, in NSW the only bids that seems to be getting any media attention is the Bears, Reds and CQ. CQ would have to be in front of Ipswich but perhaps not in front of a 2nd SEQ team.

Maybe they're logical and think the NRL can't possibly add an 11th NSW team...

Keep saying that, it might come true one day.

Talons

Juniors
Changing what i say and putting into another context completely different to which i was talking in does not make your point (which i still don't get) or anyone else/s point a valid point.

My point exactly.

They are idiots, in NSW the only bids that seems to be getting any media attention is the Bears, Reds and CQ. CQ would have to be in front of Ipswich but perhaps not in front of a 2nd SEQ team.

Keep saying that, it might come true one day.

If CQ and Ipswich are the only 2 teams prepairing submissions for entry in 2013 which other QLD team are you refering to.?

Latest posts