What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

dgsfan

Juniors
For those games, maybe. What about the rest of the season? Fact is Manly and Newcastle (at least) don't want them in. You have to ask yourself why? Nobody has yet to be able to answer it...

BDGS

Bench
You don't think QLD fans would feel the same way about the NRL "wanting it back to the NSWRL" if the Bears (11th NSW team) are admitted?

WTF does struggling AFL teams have to do with NRL expansion?

Keep on topic and stop trying to take me out of context.

adamkungl

Immortal
For those games, maybe. What about the rest of the season? Fact is Manly and Newcastle (at least) don't want them in. You have to ask yourself why? Nobody has yet to be able to answer it...

I just answered it. They don't want the competition. Newcastle in particular I expect enjoys being THE country NSW club.

My question is - why do we value the opinions of self interested clubs? I certainly don't.

dgsfan

Juniors
Except that the Bulldogs are the number 1 club in NSW. Why do we need more competition in an over saturated market?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess because we should not be making decisions that weaken existing clubs? Or at least that may well be the IC's thinking.

adamkungl

Immortal
Except that the Bulldogs are the number 1 club in NSW. Why do we need more competition in an over saturated market?

The CC isn't an oversaturated market. It has zero NRL sides. Country NSW only has 1 NRL side. South East Queensland already has 2...

adamkungl

Immortal
I guess because we should not be making decisions that weaken existing clubs? Or at least that may well be the IC's thinking.

If Newcastle or Manly are weakened by the entry of a club that is located 1.5 hrs from either of them, they should spend more time looking at their own affairs rather than sabotaging the Bears entry

Titanic

First Grade
Spread the love not piggy-back on the back of some clubs success. WA is a shoe-in but the Sydney-centric focus has to stop and it shouldn't infect Queensland either. Although SE Queensland could probably support another team there is more logic in pouring resources into other territory such as South Oz. Central Coast has a case but surely there has to be a harder line taken with the Sharks organisation. I am not anti the Sharks footy team per se but the commercial reality has to account for something.

Perth Red

Post Whore
SA are at least 5years+ off being in any position to bid for a team, only other option would be Wellington but they aren't bidding and PNG but that is a huge management task and not one the NRL in its current state is up to. CQ is too small so in reality there are only three options on the table.

bobmar28

Bench
Has anyone thought about a set up similar to GWS with Canberra (yes I know that is bad to mention) but the AFL have embraced the reality of multi City teams with a primary base and it seems to be working a treat.

The Jets (or whatever you want to call them) could be based out of Brisbane but play up to 4 games in CQ (one of which would be preseason). It gives the new team a chance to spread its financial and supporter base. It could have an academy etc. The Comets could also be a feeder team for them.

One of the things the NRL continue to ignore is the potential of multi-base clubs.

I think there are enough people in Brisbane for the Jets to gain plenty of support. There is only one team for 2 million Brisbanites. Sydney has 9 teams.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
AFL is helping those teams out, and looking to increasingly do so.

Also the expansion is costing very little, those 3 expansions are being covered by state Govt's and sponsors. Clubs benefit, their game benefits and they continue to push the line of a National game to the media and TV execs.

One of the troubled clubs you mentioned is receiving $18million from the Tassie Govt to play games there. Ask yourself why cant the Cronulla Sharks get a same deal from the SA govt to play 4 games a year in Adelaide, or Sths in Perth or NQ in Darwin?

How come the AFl is so proactive in securing deals and tying up areas yet we flounder along hoping that a club or some well meaning volunteers will develop the game in an area?

http://www.newsroom.nt.gov.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=printRelease&ID=6156

Even the AFL say they are pouring $20 million into GWS In the short term.

Last edited:

joshreading

Staff member
I said multi city with a primary base. Hawthorn IS really this now. It has two home grounds/membership bases etc and the Tas gov pays. North Melbourne also now has hobart and in the past had canberra where they also started to build a significant base. Western Bulldogs play in darwin and yes again they make significant money from doing so.
Now GWS is doing so with canberra and has gov support and over 5000 members signed up here.

AFL IS doing multi city and making a motza whilst insecure nrl clubs protect the little they have. As a game that touts itself as innovative we are stuck in the suburban past

bobmar28

Bench
GWS expansion will cost them a lot, it'll either fail or kill the swans (won't happen). You can't take AFL or Melbourne culture and just put it in the area determined by the AFL as "greater western Sydney". They have given a team to this area that they didn't want, playing them out of another area that isn't the greater western Sydney. Taking a proportion of that teams home games interstate and making them wear different colours while in another state with a name that i was told was to "appeal to americans". AFL has tried to have their cake and eat it too and we'll just sit back and watch it fail. GWS alone will cost the AFL bucketloads each year. Let alone giving away memberships to the GCS and other marketing things that i have heard from out of family on the GC.

Nobody around here wants them. Or even cares they exist.

smithie

Juniors
I think there are enough people in Brisbane for the Jets to gain plenty of support. There is only one team for 2 million Brisbanites. Sydney has 9 teams.

Only if they are named the Brisbane Jets and based out of Suncorp. Nobody outside of Ipswich is going to support an Ipswich team.

Having now lived in Brisbane for over a decade, there are two things I have learnt.
1. There are more people in Brisbane that hate the Broncos than support them.
2. Nobody likes or wants to go to Ipswich except those who live in Ipswich.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even the AFL say they are pouring $20 million into GWS In the short term.

I am talking about the multi city team approach that basically has given the AFL a significant presence in 3 population centres for very little $ expenditure. GWS and GC are significant investments for them that they believe will pay dividends in years to come. They are in it for the long haul and know that a truly national comp will pay massive returns in a couple of decades time.

Bro Bear

Juniors
So what if NSW has more teams go where the support is - Central Coast is crying out for its own team and has the resouces. Move the Bulldogs to Adelaide, Ipswich or Perth if some of you Bulldogs fans are so self centred on saying there are too many teams in Sydney. Also if you are so keen on seeing teams scattered throughout the country. Majority of Sydney people would not miss the Bulldogs.

Latest posts