What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

BDGS

Bench
If CQ and Ipswich are the only 2 teams prepairing submissions for entry in 2013 which other QLD team are you refering to.?

There is only two NRL bids from Queensland atm. If you read QLD media you think there is only two NRL bids period. IMO CQ is the better QLD bid.

My comment "perhaps not in front of a 2nd SEQ team" refers to the point that a 2nd SEQ team would have a better chance at becoming the next NRL team then a bid centred around Ipswich or in the words of Mr Johnson an "extension" to the QLD cup team.

Oh my.

Mr Johnson really should think before he opens his mouth.

lol agreed.

applesauce

Bench
Good news. I'd hardly consider CQ to be the Jets main contender, though. I hope "Brisbane Jets" is one of the possible names available to vote on. Ipswich anything would be a mistake. I think just the name "Brisbane" is associated with success and power, so I think it's a must in their name.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Brisbane has a far bigger population and would win the name just on local votes alone. It will be along the lines of Ipswich, Ipswich-Logan or Western etc.

Q'land govt must have some cash if it can find $150mill for a stadium for a little place like Rockhampton! Mind you given one stand is costing us $82mill maybe it will only be 2 sided?

The plan is to build a replica of Skilled Park which would be gay if it was a true "replica". In the small chance they will get in they should have their own unique stadia.

beave

Coach
Would be nice if the state government threw some coin up here towards DFS and give us a friggin roof......................

I still think the CQ bid is pie in the sky stuff. Maybe in 10-15 years when the population increases a little, but I really don't think it has chance....... you watch I will proven wrong now I've opened my big mouth!!!

Talons

Juniors
Would be nice if the state government threw some coin up here towards DFS and give us a friggin roof......................

I still think the CQ bid is pie in the sky stuff. Maybe in 10-15 years when the population increases a little, but I really don't think it has chance....... you watch I will proven wrong now I've opened my big mouth!!!

I think it comes down to CQ having the bucks due to the mining boom, but SEQ have the population and location.
Throw the CC bid into the mix and we have some interesting times ahead.

beave

Coach
yeah agreed mate.

as I've said previously, I would hate to be the one that makes the decision as to who gets in and who doesn't. WA is a granted one IMO (we need to expand and the 9:30pm saturday live game into the east coast is too good to look past) but the other 3,there's positives and negatives for all 3. CQ is the weaker of the 3 bids IMO due to population support, but has the mining behind it.

Interesting times.

bobmar28

Bench
So what if NSW has more teams go where the support is - Central Coast is crying out for its own team and has the resouces. Move the Bulldogs to Adelaide, Ipswich or Perth if some of you Bulldogs fans are so self centred on saying there are too many teams in Sydney. Also if you are so keen on seeing teams scattered throughout the country. Majority of Sydney people would not miss the Bulldogs.

I would be happy for the Bulldogs to merge with another Sydney team for the good of the game.

bobmar28

Bench
Good news. I'd hardly consider CQ to be the Jets main contender, though. I hope "Brisbane Jets" is one of the possible names available to vote on. Ipswich anything would be a mistake. I think just the name "Brisbane" is associated with success and power, so I think it's a must in their name.

There is already a "Brisbane" (Broncos). Western Jets would get my vote if Ipswich is considered a negative.

franklin2323

Immortal
yeah agreed mate.

as I've said previously, I would hate to be the one that makes the decision as to who gets in and who doesn't. WA is a granted one IMO (we need to expand and the 9:30pm saturday live game into the east coast is too good to look past) but the other 3,there's positives and negatives for all 3. CQ is the weaker of the 3 bids IMO due to population support, but has the mining behind it.

Interesting times.
Agreed all have their benefits and should come in at some stage. As for CQ. Given their population is spread out could struggle for crowds if its a work day. Even Sundays given a 4 hour drive will make it a late night for the kids. Leaving majority of Sat games. It may not give them help when it comes to the bargaining table

adamkungl

Immortal
If I was in charge of the NRL I would have a cruscade against sh*thouse vague names. Wests would be come West Sydney, and Western would be banned and forced to choose a sensible name. WA would be allowed because WA is actually a place and not a direction.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
If I was in charge of the NRL I would have a cruscade against sh*thouse vague names. Wests would be come West Sydney, and Western would be banned and forced to choose a sensible name. WA would be allowed because WA is actually a place and not a direction.

The FFA basically did exactly that when North QLD came in. Originally they were calling themselves the Northern Fury but the FFA said they had to use North QLD.

I really hope the NRL tells the Jets the same thing, sports teams need a solid location to identify with.

dgsfan

Juniors
Agreed. Having said that calling them Ipswich would be a bad idea. Brisbane Jets is great. Even West Brisbane or South Brisbane would be fine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WBJ - West Brisbane Jets or Sth Queensland Jets (advantage is also would allow the Ipswich jets to be feeder club in Q'land cup) for me, danger of using Ipswich would be to minimise supporter base. Having said that to get the Ipswich mayor/council backing they may be railroaded into using Ipswich as their name.

bobmar28

Bench

You're probably right. Wests was the Western suburbs Magpies but maybe it's time to move on, If Balmain people can accept the name West Sydney Tigers.

bobmar28

Bench
Agreed. Having said that calling them Ipswich would be a bad idea. Brisbane Jets is great. Even West Brisbane or South Brisbane would be fine.

What's wrong with naming the team Ipswich? They will draw fans from all over Brisbane. The Bulldogs have massive support yet very few of those supporters actually live in Canterbury (a small suburb in inner west Sydney). Let's have a show of hands. How many Bulldogs supporters here live in Canterbury?

bobmar28

Bench
Eastern suburbs is less specific but how many Roosters fans live in Bondi Junction? How many Bunnies fans live in Redfern?

Last edited:

joshreading

Staff member
whilst there is some truth to such the reality is we are in
a vastly different era to the suburban roots of sydney rl where there has been a hundred years of population spread and hyped periods of club success to widen the supporter base.

any new club must immediately engage a far wider base. That wont be done through the use of an often maligned identity in ipswich.

dgsfan

Juniors
My exact thoughts. Considering the Bulldogs are the most popular team in Sydney and NSW I'm guessing a lot of their fans don't live in the Canterbury Bankstown area. I don't. My Dad however grew up in Belmore.

lturner

Juniors
The name should suit the area and should be chosen on a case by case basis. You can't have some kind of generic rule that the says the name must encompass X number of people to be valid.

The only name that really suits in this case is Ipswich. Western or Western Brisbane is not right because most people consider the west or west side of Brisbane to be the area from Toowong, Indooropilly, Bardon out to Kenmore.

South Queensland is ever worse. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the phrase South Queensland before, outside of a reference to the Crushers. Unlike North Queensland which is a widely used and recognised area.

Brisbane is ok, but not perfect. Ipswich has a history as a completely separate city from Brisbane, but as both cities have expanded it is becoming more and more just a single metro area. So Ipswich is definitely a part of the greater Brisbane city, but still has some fairly strong remnants of identity as an independent place.

There's no reason that the name shouldn't be Ipswich.

adamkungl

Immortal
Eastern suburbs is less specific but how many Roosters fans live in Bondi Junction? How many Bunnies fans live in Redfern?

Clubs have always drawn support from outside their area, whether it's due to success or family or a popular player or their colours or logo. However I don't think changing Eastern Suburbs to Sydney City or Sydney has resulted in more fans.

Latest posts