What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Origin I - Wed 31 May - NSW 18-26 QLD @ Adelaide

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Queensland

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woody90

Juniors
Tedesco was shocking but realistically he’s got enough runs on the board to last at least the rest of the series but it’s up to Freddy to get him to change how he plays. Teddy is awesome running straight and hard behind the ruck and as a support player but it’s like he’s gone away from that and has tried to turn himself in a 2nd five eighth which is just not his go, he completely stifles the attack with his sideways runnings and runs all his support players out of the play. We need to stop picking players like Young and TPJ because of this perceived mongrel, the game isn’t about that anymore, it’s about which team owns the big moments and that was Qld. Not sure what the time frame is for RCG but he comes straight in for TPJ and either Koloamatangi or Olaakauatu comes in for Young. I’d like to see Angus Crichton find some form because IMO he’s always been a job for NSW previously.

He’s been doing the same thing at the Roosters this year. I don’t think it’s because he’s the giant ball hog and glory hog like most people are assuming, more likely he’s trying to help his teams knowing neither set of halves are up to it at the moment with nothing happening in attack, but either way it’s having more of a detrimental effect on both teams.

Canard

Immortal
I also love how NSW think Origin is going the stiff arm or working the tackled player, and pick fake tough guys to perform this role.

Rather, then pick a guy who can play 80 out of position and make 48 tackles.

You can also see the Panthers and Souths players struggle to comprehend your not going to get every call go your way, and they spend ages remonstrating with the ref, rather then get the f**k on with it.

Gobsmacked

Bench
Billy Slater said he had mixed feelings about the match. NSW did all the things necessary to win the match. Winning the battle of possession and position. QLD scored some lucky long range tries and stopped 2 by the skin of their teeth. That's not sustainable. Unless Qld improve, NSW will win the series. Especially with Hynes at 5/8th, with the ability to put players over for tries near the line and NSW were near their line a lot.
You lost me at lucky tries.
A well executed shift with speed isn't luck.
Scoring off a knock on is luck. Scoring off the scraps from a kick is luck.
NSW scored 1 try that wasn't luck.
How much if the nsw field position was off dodgy reffing? Most of thier penalties don't get called at club level. How many times were nsw inside the 10 ?
NSW had nothing and against a qld defence- less than nothing.
If Queensland got the "luck" that nsw got, they win by 50.

Generalzod

Immortal
Don’t get the Teddy hate he tried his best , more than what the halves did all game. There are some people who put the defeat squarely on Hynes, the bloke played for 5 minutes , I hope he doesn’t picked at all wouldn’t want to play for this origin shit show.

Last edited:
You lost me at lucky tries.
A well executed shift with speed isn't luck.
Scoring off a knock on is luck. Scoring off the scraps from a kick is luck.
NSW scored 1 try that wasn't luck.
How much if the nsw field position was off dodgy reffing? Most of thier penalties don't get called at club level. How many times were nsw inside the 10 ?
NSW had nothing and against a qld defence- less than nothing.
If Queensland got the "luck" that nsw got, they win by 50.
Didn’t Qld first try or two come on the back of penalties?

BranVan3000

Coach
I also love how NSW think Origin is going the stiff arm or working the tackled player, and pick fake tough guys to perform this role.

Rather, then pick a guy who can play 80 out of position and make 48 tackles.

You can also see the Panthers and Souths players struggle to comprehend your not going to get every call go your way, and they spend ages remonstrating with the ref, rather then get the f**k on with it.
What Souths players? There was one out there

Desert Qlder

First Grade
We struck gold with Tommy two-stroke out there. While Hammer made the rest of the Samoan backline look like putzes.

The reffing is going to be god-awful in game 2 trying to keep the roaches in the series.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
what a shitshow from NSW. Literally everything went their way and they still lost. Fitler should drop the whole NSW spine but then that wouldn't address the teams biggest problem, him.

It was just oh so predictable that QLD would fire up after the ridiculous sinbinning of Flegler and end up winning. You just knew it was going to happen. NSW will not win the next two games, the series is over. Fitler is another symbolic appointment for NSW, just like Daley was. Great players they were but they are both clueless when it comes to coaching. Fitler just assumes that if he chucks a bunch of successful club combinations together and some guys who have done the job before then she'll be right. Slater is tactical and reads the game and he's pulled NSW pants down again.

Let's be real here

Nsw looked more like the sticky era Canberra Raiders at their worst rather than Penrith. A ton of ball, seemingly parked in the opposition 20m but has no shape. Each player looking to put a play on by himself rather than setting up another player.

I get enough stick ball from the regular season. I don't need to see it in origin too. I mean right down to mismanagement of the bench so the players were exhausted at the end.

It was just such low quality football in a season where I've found the general club footy pretty high quality. A ton of club games this year were played at a higher standard.