What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the 2024 Warriors better than the 2023 Warriors? Can we go all the way?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Last year may have been an outlier for this team based on the talent level. Compare to the Roosters, Broncos and Panthers squad and its not really close, yet we somehow made the top 4.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of comments along the lines of us having a very strong squad but that is massively dependent on the reappraisal of a lot of our players that has occurred over the last 18 months. This is largely the same squad that was seen as a wooden spoon contender at the start of last year.

Guys like DWZ, Montoya, CNK, Metcalf/TMM, Ford, Walker, were not perceived as even above-average first graders prior to the team's resurgence. That's not to say that all those names are in the same category (I rate some of them a lot more than others), it's just a comment on the perceived quality of the squad changing massively because players in good teams become perceived as good players.

Guys like Egan and Barnett are solid players but their stock has skyrocketed in the last year or so.

And then you have the biggest perception shift of all, the completely washed up SJ being seen as an elite half again.

As a natural cynic I also wasn't bullish about RTS coming back to league aged 30 and playing a new position either, and I think that was justified.

It will only take a continuation of this being a bad season, and the squad will look weak again on paper.

“Jack is covering that Kurt Capewell role from last year - if we lost an outside back last year Kurt filled in and it was very smooth.
- Kevvie talking about what role Jack Gosiewski fills for them this week.

Struggling to think why Webby doesn’t share the same view of Capewell and instead carried Pompey for the last couple of weeks.

TheDMC

Bench
In his press conference after the game, and the quick interview before the game he basically said some learnings for him the past month has been:
- don’t play injured players, back the replacements
- make sure moving forward when SJ is back, TMM has more ball and can play his natural game

I really like his honesty and self awareness.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I seriously think what the team has gone through in the last month has the potential to level us up into a true contender level side. Hopefully we see them deliver on that in the back half of the season.
It's incredible isn't it, those injuries were the best thing that could have happened to us. We might be out of finals contention without 9-11 injured guys in a couple of weeks, against the three-time premiers and a top four side. It's just insane. Shows that sometimes there's gold hidden in the hardest of times

Matua

Bench
In his press conference after the game, and the quick interview before the game he basically said some learnings for him the past month has been:
- don’t play injured players, back the replacements
- make sure moving forward when SJ is back, TMM has more ball and can play his natural game

I really like his honesty and self awareness.
That's really good to hear, earlier this season I was worried he was believing his own press.

The team was tanking until their run of injuries forced a reset.
The competition is tight as we know. Hasn't been this close mid-season for a while. We've had some close games this year, with only 2 that blew out to 13+ I don't subscribe that our season was tanking. Injuries as you mentioned has made things a little challenging for our young head coach deal with. What we are seeing besides a turnaround in our clubs form is a coach that is really learning his craft. His press conferences are always clear and he admits things if he got it wrong. This is why I was a bit miffed on your comment that you were worried Webster was believing his own press etc. In a way he has the right to gloat a bit on what he has done for the club so far, but he hasn't and this is why a lot of fans love him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The competition is tight as we know. Hasn't been this close mid-season for a while. We've had some close games this year, with only 2 that blew out to 13+ I don't subscribe that our season was tanking. Injuries as you mentioned has made things a little challenging for our young head coach deal with. What we are seeing besides a turnaround in our clubs form is a coach that is really learning his craft. His press conferences are always clear and he admits things if he got it wrong. This is why I was a bit miffed on your comment that you were worried Webster was believing his own press etc. In a way he has the right to gloat a bit on what he has done for the club so far, but he hasn't and this is why a lot of fans love him.
I don't think Matua is too far wrong to say the season was tanking. If you look back on here, a lot of us - myself included - thought we'd lose both games into the bye and that was us. It probably would have been.

I feel like Matua might have a point too that Webster was stuck doing the same things as last year, expecting that would yield the same results. I don't believe for a second he was believing his own press, he's too humble for that, but he probably did think the good times would roll on.

But you're right, he is learning his craft and his ability to turn this around in the last 4 weeks has been remarkable. It's still early days but again he showed the coach he is - brilliant with people, knowledgeable, willing to learn etc. There's been some highs in our club's history but gee the last month has been up there in enjoyment, and he is owed a lot for that

Latest posts