What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid season review.

Rich102

Staff member
Surely nobody saw this coming.

There was always going to be a change under new coach Andrew Webster, along with the arrival of some well chosen recruits and the return to Auckland, after the crazy Covid years.

But few outside the club could have predicted such a transformation. The Warriors are sixth on the NRL ladder — and good value for being there.

They have recorded eight victories, including impressive wins in Townsville, Cronulla and Canberra. They have made a contest out of every game, a stark contrast to 2022 where they conceded more than 30 points eight times and suffered numerous heavy defeats.

Even during the three-match losing streak against the Storm, Roosters and Panthers, they maintained a positive performance benchmark. Injuries and suspension have tested their depth with the loss of important personnel, including Mitch Barnett, Te Maire Martin, Marata Niukore, Jazz Tevaga and Dylan Walker.

No club in the top eight has used more than their 29 players and across the competition only the Cowboys (30) and Bulldogs (33) have dug deeper into their squad.

Almost without exception, every player has improved. Shaun Johnson is the best example but there are many others. No one is talking about Reece Walsh, given the impact of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, but it’s not just the marquee men as the young and unheralded players have stepped up.

Perhaps most importantly, they have their identity back, as a tough, rugged team, with flair and spirit.

They now have a platform to launch. Five of their last 10 matches are at Mt Smart, along with the Tigers clash in Hamilton. After nine games in Australia, they only have four more trips across the Tasman (Dragons, Eels, Titans, Dolphins).

Nothing can be guaranteed in the NRL but it’s hard to see the Warriors missing the playoffs, if they remain on the same trajectory.

Critical success factors​

1. Take a load off Tohu

What we said (pre round one):

“Since 2019 Tohu Harris has often carried a ridiculous match day burden which can’t continue. The captain needs to be able to focus on his core role, while everyone else pitches in with theirs.”

What has happened:

Harris is still a massive presence but others have stepped up. Addin Fonua-Blake is having a career-best season and the pack is working well as a unit, especially defensively. That has allowed Harris to widen his brief and his ball playing has been a feature of the attack.

Rating: B+

2. Resilience

What we said:

“This has been the major theme from coach Andrew Webster. It’s not just about winning games; it’s about becoming much harder to beat. The team needs much stronger defensive foundations, as well as being able to complete the tough yardage sets out of trouble.”

What has happened:

Webster’s pre-season promise has been delivered. This Warriors team has refused to buckle, whatever the circumstances. The first half effort against Canberra was the most recent example but there have been numerous others, right from the edgy round one win over the Knights in Wellington to the Anzac Day effort in Melbourne, in the face of an awful injury toll and a sin bin.

Rating: A

3. Variation

What we said:

“The Warriors aren’t going to instantly transform into a freewheeling offensive team, but more variation on attack is imperative. Too often last season the plays were easy to read.”

What happened:

The Warriors are no longer a one-dimensional team. They have become unpredictable on attack — in a good way — and more potent down both edges. There has been more use of plays up the middle and inside channels, while the ball playing among the forwards has been highly effective. There is still a heavy reliance on Shaun Johnson (15 try assists) — but it’s working — while other have chipped in, including Nicoll-Klokstad (seven), Harris (three) and Walker (three).

Rating: A-

4. Defend errors
What we said:

“Mistakes are part of the game, but it’s what happens next that counts.”

What happened:

Over the previous two seasons, the Warriors often fell in a hole when things went south. This has been rectified, with the team able to ‘hold their gloves up’ — as Webster likes to say — and take the hits. There is still work to do but it’s a profound leap.

5. Fifth tackle options

What we said:

“If there has been an enduring frustration over the past few seasons, it has been the last tackle plays in the opposition half. It’s not an exact science but too often we have seen either wrong options taken, or poor execution.”

What happened:

The Warriors have clearly defined patterns at the end of a set. Opposition teams know that a lot flows through Johnson but it has still worked, with an impressive understanding between him and Wayde Egan. The disruption at five eighth, thanks to Martin’s injury, hasn’t been ideal.

Rating: B

6. Bench impact

What we said:

“Changing the flow of a match through interchange players is vital and it rarely happened for the Warriors last season.”

What happened:

Walker has been a revelation in the middle while Tevaga has reprised his 2018 impact. The ‘bald brothers’ were central to the early season fizz — especially the Townsville and Cronulla victories — before Tevaga’s injury.

7. Cohesion and edge defence

What we said:

“With eight new recruits, there might be times when wires are crossed and plans don’t work. But hopefully not too many. Clearer patterns, better communication and a more unified approach with and without the ball are imperative.”

What happened:

Compared to last season, it’s night and day. The Warriors are much harder to penetrate. They have conceded an average of 18 points (the third-best in the NRL) after shipping 29 last season (the worst). They can still be vulnerable but opponents have to work a lot harder. With and without the ball the team have looked in sync.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I would give an A or A+ for "defend errors". Handing the opposition way too many chances has been our main weakness so far this season, and the resilience we have showed is largely tied to our own errors giving us so many opportunities to display said resilience.

GoSouths

Juniors
Probably a few other categories they could have added.

Discipline - not too bad. A few have missed games through suspension

Dealing with Ref Inconsistencies - pretty good attitude i would say. Just getting on with it and not sulking this year.

Depth - had more than their share of injuries this season. A couple of games they lost could have been put down to the loss of key players at the wrong time, but on the whole the depth is pretty good for most positions.

Dealing with outside noise - if they make the playoffs, this will be a test for some of the younger players

gUt

Coach
I get the impression the Warriors are one team no team wants to face right now, especially at home. NRL needs a competitive Warriors outfit and it's great to have you back.

nswarrior

Juniors
We
I get the impression the Warriors are one team no team wants to face right now, especially at home. NRL needs a competitive Warriors outfit and it's great to have you back.
We come good once every decade or so

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Losing those 2 games to the Broncos and then the Knights really sting. We could be in the top 4
The knights game doesn’t bother me. They were at home and had their tails up and outplayed us. It’s the Broncos in Napier and the two chooks games (particularly the second one) that irk me.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
The best part for me, has been how nervous a good few months from the Warriors has made the Union bosses in this country, they are clearly looking over their shoulder, and pointlessly keeping RTS in the sport out of spite shows that

They have a terrible product that they are struggling to promote and while it will always be the top dog, the state the game is in has the foothold looser than it has ever been, and to see the Warriors selling out and getting huge numbers consistently while Super Rugby struggles is great

Matua

Bench
The best part for me, has been how nervous a good few months from the Warriors has made the Union bosses in this country, they are clearly looking over their shoulder, and pointlessly keeping RTS in the sport out of spite shows that

They have a terrible product that they are struggling to promote and while it will always be the top dog, the state the game is in has the foothold looser than it has ever been, and to see the Warriors selling out and getting huge numbers consistently while Super Rugby struggles is great
There's a whole thread about NZ2 which is essentially the forever war against rugby.

I don't want to turn this thread into a shitfight but you're peddling some of the same inaccuracies here as the uninformed Aussies on that thread.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
There's a whole thread about NZ2 which is essentially the forever war against rugby.

I don't want to turn this thread into a shitfight but you're peddling some of the same inaccuracies here as the uninformed Aussies on that thread.
Not sure what you’re talking about really, but I’m living here amongst it, around rugby diehards whose interest is waning by the week

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not sure what you’re talking about really, but I’m living here amongst it, around rugby diehards whose interest is waning by the week
It’s in the expansion forum and I recommend you don’t bother reading it. It’s an endless jerkoff of aussies who know nothing about NZ proclaiming the imminent death of Rugby, and Te Kaha arguing with them while being relentlessly negative about League (though at least he’s pretty well informed). Occasionally Matua injects some sanity and gets ignored or mocked, while I pretty much do this:

Im Out GIF

nswarrior

Juniors
Broncos and Souths losing mean we have a real chance of making the top 4 and giving the competition a real a shake

It also means if we lose 2 games in a row or more against some quality opposition South, Parra, Cronulla and Canberra we could drop out of the 8

It will be really interesting next 4 games and based on the season so far we are a good chance to win 3 and chase for the minor Premiership

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It’s in the expansion forum and I recommend you don’t bother reading it. It’s an endless jerkoff of aussies who know nothing about NZ proclaiming the imminent death of Rugby, and Te Kaha arguing with them while being relentlessly negative about League (though at least he’s pretty well informed). Occasionally Matua injects some sanity and gets ignored or mocked, while I pretty much do this:

Im Out GIF
Yeah think I’ll pass on that lol, rugby will never die and will always be the one here, regardless of how much popularity is lost

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Broncos and Souths losing mean we have a real chance of making the top 4 and giving the competition a real a shake

It also means if we lose 2 games in a row or more against some quality opposition South, Parra, Cronulla and Canberra we could drop out of the 8

It will be really interesting next 4 games and based on the season so far we are a good chance to win 3 and chase for the minor Premiership
Absolutely. we're getting some luck coming our way with key injuries to opposition players too - we'll play the Bunnies sans Latrell and the Sea Eagles sans Tommy Turbo- we'll now be favourites for both.

nswarrior

Juniors
Absolutely. we're getting some luck coming our way with key injuries to opposition players too - we'll play the Bunnies sans Latrell and the Sea Eagles sans Tommy Turbo- we'll now be favourites for both.
And Eels before origin so they maybe missing Moses and Paulo

Matua

Bench
Unless you have some 100% inside information there's absolutely no evidence that NZR is stopping RTS from returning to league earlier. RTS might not want to relocate to Manly and be away from his family for a few months?

As for the league v rugby stuff, no point getting into other than to say great that Warriors are on a high with great crowds, balanced out by the poor state of the junior and domestic game anywhere outside of Auckland. Hard for league to capitalise on a big crowd in Napier when the game is almost dead in the region.

Anyway, nothing worth a shitfight about when I can do that with the dudes in the expansion thread. :thumbup_tone4: