What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiership favorites 7 weeks out

Who will win the 2005 grand final

• Brisbane

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Parramatta

Votes: 52 24.4%
  • St George Illawarra

Votes: 78 36.6%
  • Wests Tigers

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 30 14.1%

• Total voters

Grail

Juniors
Who really cares who has or has not choked in the past. All clubs have choked at one time or another, but as they say, "that was then, this is now". The Dragons obviously deserve to be favourites, but to say they are unbeatable is a little premature and foolhardy. 5 weeks ago eveyone was saying the same about the Broncos. Teams form comes and goes, and all it takes is 1 bad game to cause a favourite not to lift the trophy.

I'd be more inclined to say that Dragons, Broncos, Eels are the front runners, Tigers next followed by Cowboys as the only other teams that at the moment one would think have a reasonable chance, but you never know.

--> J

Godz Illa

Coach
Grail said:
I'd be more inclined to say that Dragons, Broncos, Eels are the front runners, Tigers next followed by Cowboys as the only other teams that at the moment one would think have a reasonable chance, but you never know.
I understand why you'd describe as foolhardy those who say the Dragons are unbeatable, but isn't the above post of yours just a little bit over-cautious? Not only have you stated the obvious, but you're sitting on five fences! Gosh man, live a little!!

Razor

Coach
Likely of winning in this order (top 8 teams only)

1. Dragons
2. Eels
3. Tigers
4. Broncos
5. Daylight
6. Storm
7. Cowboys
8. Manly
9. Daylight
10. Daylight
11. Daylight
12. Daylight
13. Shaks

bluesbreaker

Bench
The Andrew (Johns) Rugby League Association should just give us a wildcard into the grand final! Pull your strings Commissar Joey, you run the show apparently.

gregstar

Referee
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
i remember that time when dragons vs storm in the GF and there was like 1 min left dragons leading and melobourne score right on the siren to win the game , great game that.
told you...
they don't qualify for anything
not even spelling bees ;-)

Love it how the Broncos are being written off. This season apparently teams which have beaten them are the new danger team.

Warriors earlier in the year were seen as the dark horses after being the Broncos twice.

The Bulldogs a few weeks back beat the Broncos and were seen as the danger side who would win the competition

Now the Dragons who are the form team beat the Broncos who aren't in the best form beat them and they're the team to beat.

If the Eels beat the Dragons this week, suddenly people on this forum will be saying the Eels are unstoppable.
Form is temporary, class is permanent. The Broncos will be in the preliminary finals at least.

Grail

Juniors
Godz Illa said:
I understand why you'd describe as foolhardy those who say the Dragons are unbeatable, but isn't the above post of yours just a little bit over-cautious? Not only have you stated the obvious, but you're sitting on five fences! Gosh man, live a little!!

No, I'm only sitting on 3 fences. Dragons, Broncos and Eels. I've said that the Tigers have a chance followed by the Cowboys, but I don't really rate those chances, Tigers just don't have the composure, Cowboys just don't have the ability. But, both teams are capable of good performances.

--> Grail

bluesbreaker

Bench
JoeysChiropractor said:
Love it how the Broncos are being written off. This season apparently teams which have beaten them are the new danger team.

Warriors earlier in the year were seen as the dark horses after being the Broncos twice.

The Bulldogs a few weeks back beat the Broncos and were seen as the danger side who would win the competition

Now the Dragons who are the form team beat the Broncos who aren't in the best form beat them and they're the team to beat.

If the Eels beat the Dragons this week, suddenly people on this forum will be saying the Eels are unstoppable.
Form is temporary, class is permanent. The Broncos will be in the preliminary finals at least.

Better hope Locky is ok :).

perverse

Referee
JoeysChiropractor said:
Love it how the Broncos are being written off.
actually i think it's more everyone (broncos fans excluded of course) are just bored of the broncos. i think it goes without saying to most fans of the game that the broncos are just as much, if not more of a chance this year than anyone else. we want to hear about more interesting stories about teams who haven't been there before (especially from a fan whose team is almost a certainty for the spoon)

i certainly haven't written the broncos off, they have what it takes.. they always do, i'm just very uninterested in them.

pantherz9103

First Grade
JoeysChiropractor said:

You can forgive people for going cold on them a bit. People forget how terribly they've finished the last four seasons. History shows there's no way the Broncos can win the competition if they carry poor form and several losses in the latter rounds into the finals. Shane Webcke admitted so himself before the Dragons game. 24-4 looks pretty ordinary to me. Shows they are well below the Dragons level at the moment. They need to find form and fast and without Lockyer they might even drop a game they'd expect to win (against Penrith maybe :p )

aussies1st

Staff member
Broncos aren't looking in good shape for the finals. IF they stick to their usual end of season run they will have no momentum plus lockyer will be coming back from injury. They will need others to step up or else they will have missed their best chance to win the title. Finals without the knights, dogs and roosters. I'm sure we won't be seeing that next year.

N.Hindmarsh_Fan

Juniors
Roosters will struggle again next year, can't see a reason why they will be a threat. Dogs will threaten the comp though, they manage to do this year in year out, they have been unlucky regarding injury. They are a proud team who play for each other, I hate them but at full strength, they scare the sh*t out of me.

The Knights will do well next year, I honestly reckon that a few of their players are playin out of their skins to avoid the spoon, if Souths keep winning look for Newcastle to drop off especially if there is no chance to palm off the spoon. Glad the Rooters are out of the picture, I cannot stand Phil Goon talking sh*t about them week in week out.

To all Dragons fans, relax, you guys are the fav's and deserve to be, but anything can go wrong at anytime, so it is probably smart not to open the champagne bottles so soon.

Alex28

Coach
I'm pretty confident the Dragons will make it to the Grand Final and choke in their 7th straight Grand Final in a row :)

God I hope so any way...

Stranger

Coach
Being a Tigers junior im hopeing they win, but like many, aslong as the Broncos and Sharks dont win im happy.