What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rationalisation of Sydney

8Ball

First Grade
The NRL needs to be a little careful at trying to model itself after the AFL who essentially have the club game only.

Rugby League has 3 levels of competition it can grow and generate revenue from:

Club
State
International

I suspect that if there was no state level competition and the only available rugby league all year round was the club game, then the club attendance numbers would be higher. The club game indirectly feeds into the strength of the state game and the NRL needs to remember that.

Wasn't it only last year or the year before, when the leadership confirmed the survival of the current 16 teams? Perhaps all the talk of relocation lately was to ensure that the clubs don't coast.

Stallion

First Grade
The NRL needs to be a little careful at trying to model itself after the AFL who essentially have the club game only.

Rugby League has 3 levels of competition it can grow and generate revenue from:

Club
State
International

I suspect that if there was no state level competition and the only available rugby league all year round was the club game, then the club attendance numbers would be higher. The club game indirectly feeds into the strength of the state game and the NRL needs to remember that.

Wasn't it only last year or the year before, when the leadership confirmed the survival of the current 16 teams? Perhaps all the talk of relocation lately was to ensure that the clubs don't coast.

Also think the international level needs much more relevance. Some horrid mistakes for international level games in Australia recently. Remembering the changed annual ANZAC Test was a consistent tv ratings performer compared to other codes during the season proper. Now the 'powers that be' don't even consider the touring 2019 Lions a decent enough drawcard despite being competitive with plenty of English players continuing to star in the NRL. It's a shoddy set up at the moment in Australia for rugby league.

Angry_eel

First Grade
At first I was really excited about Bankwest stadium opening but now I am thinking that there's trouble in paradise. I feel the NRL is trying to push all clubs to Bankwest and the new SFS. ANZ or rebuilt ANZ will be used for marquee games. That's what I read from the articles about Bankwest. Bad days ahead for suburban grounds.

Stallion

First Grade
At first I was really excited about Bankwest stadium opening but now I am thinking that there's trouble in paradise. I feel the NRL is trying to push all clubs to Bankwest and the new SFS. ANZ or rebuilt ANZ will be used for marquee games. That's what I read from the articles about Bankwest. Bad days ahead for suburban grounds.

I'm hoping moreover a balanced use of all available grounds. I agree that the suburban grounds have there place and are crucial in strengthening local rivalries and relevance. Adept allocation of games in appropriate grounds is the key.

Perth Red

Post Whore

That is exactly what they want to see, Smith was even more forthright about the need for centralised stadiums if the game was going to get beyond its 10-12k fan attendance level in Sydney. Ideally we'd see 80% of games in Sydney played out of Allianz, Bankwest and one day two other new stadiums to service Wests/Bulldogs and one for Dragons/Sharks. The days of 10k on grass hills is numbered.

Shark62

Juniors
That is exactly what they want to see, Smith was even more forthright about the need for centralised stadiums if the game was going to get beyond its 10-12k fan attendance level in Sydney. Ideally we'd see 80% of games in Sydney played out of Allianz, Bankwest and one day two other new stadiums to service Wests/Bulldogs and one for Dragons/Sharks. The days of 10k on grass hills is numbered.
Totally agree sharks and dragons should have a shared stadium. Not going to be easy though

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally agree sharks and dragons should have a shared stadium. Not going to be easy though

No its not but thats why the NRL, the two clubs and the Aleague need to get working on a lobbying strategy now. Then when the next time the State is flush they have a good business case to put before the State Govt. At the moment I doubt any party has even considered it let alone sat around a table to discuss it. Sharks think their development will save them, Dragons now have the WIN $'s to save them and so they will continue as they are.

Shark62

Juniors
But it's not his go.:)
Here is a little trick I use Taipan. When I make a statement like that what I do first is do a little research, establish some facts, apply some analysis and then make a statement.
FYI the manly/north Sydney senior comp folded this year. They now play in the Sydney combined comps. I started a discussion about this in the Sydney comps thread. It got an interesting response.
I checked the north Sydney and manly junior teams. North Sydney grades over 7 are stable but under 6s have grown.
Lane cove reformed a couple of years ago and another club as well. Great news. But the real growth is in the women’s game. In other grades it’s pretty stable this year.
I’m sorry about these facts.