What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 15 v Knights

I think Ivan didn't trust Salmon and prior Lenui. Salmon starting at the Dogs and doing really well. Maybe it's not who is on the bench but Ivan's use of them. It is like we have 2 18 men. Yesterday I am sure Laurie could have done Toelau Job and we could have someone else on the bench instead.
Yes, us armchair fans are right, it is the 3 time premiership winning coach who is wrong

The Realist

Juniors
To'o better be here for life. The best winger I've ever seen

My favourite player in this current team. I'd say Micky Gordon was just as good, and in some ways better but a completely spastic coach, an ordinary team and lower leg injuries cruelled him.

In many ways he was the proto-prototype for the To'o style winger. Many seem to think that Mansour was the prototype, but he was just filling the role of Flash when he left - just not as well.

soc123_au

Staff member
My favourite player in this current team. I'd say Micky Gordon was just as good, and in some ways better but a completely spastic coach, an ordinary team and lower leg injuries cruelled him.

In many ways he was the proto-prototype for the To'o style winger. Many seem to think that Mansour was the prototype, but he was just filling the role of Flash when he left - just not as well.
Peak Mansour doesn't get enough love. He carried our pack for years. Gordon was a gun and should have been playing fullback. Different style of players though.

age.s

First Grade
He is one I'd cop an average year or 2 from at the back end. To see him in another jersey would be unbearable.
Been like that with Critta this year. He keeps up his last month of form and next year will be the same with Luai.

Yeo and Nath would be the worst though.

soc123_au

Staff member
Been like that with Critta this year. He keeps up his last month of form and next year will be the same with Luai.

Yeo and Nath would be the worst though.
Yeah, it sucks seeing Critta in that rag. What makes it worse is if we knew what we knew now we probably could have kept him. I'm still happy for him that he is killing it as a leader, he may not have gotten that shot here.

Yeo or Nath elsewhere doesn't bear thinking about.

Frankus

Juniors
To'o was unreal. Almost spat my drink when Vossy said he was just quietly going about his business. He was much much better than that. Sometimes I wonder if they're actually watching the game.
Absolutely. I think the standard that To’o has set for his weekly performance (which is nothing short of amazing) means he has to score a hat trick, run for 300m or bust 20 tackles in a single game for commentators to give him a wrap. If any other winger in the comp has an average To’o level game the commentary box is creaming their jeans.

age.s

First Grade
This is out of context as from my earlier post, if we win this 4peat it would be our best one as in my opinion it is our worst bench
Not just you though and not just this week. "The bench is wrong" has been one of the most consistent talking points here over the past 4-5 years but premiership machine seems to just keep going brrrrrr.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Gee Leota is building a body of work for tackle and line breaks.

For a big bloke, his speed off the mark is unbelievable. You'd almost think there was a large piece of pizza dangling just in front of his mouth (referencing the days of hook when the team upon winning would get pizza and beer as a treat. There is a photo of a very young Moses tucking into a slice.

Leota will take over as top dog in 2025, with Henry and Smith as his underlings.

Also like Yeo Moses appears to be improving with age. So pleased he plays for my club.

Crashtest

Juniors
Gee Leota is building a body of work for tackle and line breaks.

For a big bloke, his speed off the mark is unbelievable. You'd almost think there was a large piece of pizza dangling just in front of his mouth (referencing the days of hook when the team upon winning would get pizza and beer as a treat. There is a photo of a very young Moses tucking into a slice.

Leota will take over as top dog in 2025, with Henry and Smith as his underlings.

Also like Yeo Moses appears to be improving with age. So pleased he plays for my club.

He needs to be more consistent though if he wants to be seen as top dog, especially once JFH is gone. There is currently too much difference between his best game and worst.

Sime_11

Juniors
Kenny & Big Mose always seem to outplay JFH in the big games (finals especially) - im happy for JFH to lead the way during the season if Kenny & Mose do their thing in the big games- when they're on, we just about unbeatable

seeing Big Mose in open space is one of my favorite things to see as a Panthers fan, but his ability to think & act without getting a rush of blood - there isnt a better forward in the comp with that ability - he just about always makes the right decision and it usually ends up as a try

perfect example on Sunday, makes the break, looks for support and hits Dyl up to score
backing up for Cleary in the GF and then scoring under the post
cutout (LOL) to To'o in the Warriors final in 2023
setting up To'o in the corner after making a big line break at home (forget the opponent sorry)

The Realist

Juniors
Not just you though and not just this week. "The bench is wrong" has been one of the most consistent talking points here over the past 4-5 years but premiership machine seems to just keep going brrrrrr.

You'd have to argue though that the Premiership Machine keeps rolling on in spite of the bench selections.

I would note though that Ivan is not the only coach who keeps backs on the bench and doesn't even use them. Nicho Hynes famously got his Premiership ring against us in 2020 without playing a single second.

I do agree with others that having a fullback/five eighth on the bench seems like a waste. I like others would prefer a utility who could play hooker, a bit of halves and maybe centre/2nd row at a pinch. Someone here mentioned Connor Watson and I think that is a perfect example.

The other concern I have with the 2 forward bench is that we may end up burning our forwards out quicker than we otherwise would.

In recent weeks I have seen us shift Lindsay Smith to the edge when Fish and Leota come back on and our 2nd rowers need a rest. Whilst he does a fine job against lesser teams when we are playing well - we have also seen him badly exposed against good teams when on an edge. That 2023 Grand final comes to mind but we have seen it more than a few times this year as well. I hope that Ivan does not persist with this come finals time.

snickers007

Juniors
Watched the game last night, and had a quick read of this thread, and something that seems to have gone unnoticed is that we've gone from the worst team at defusing short drop-outs to one of the best.

We forced a lot of drop-outs, and I can only remember one, very late in the game that we got out jumped for. Being able to use dropouts to build pressure was a staple of 20-22 Pantherball, long may it continue.

I've been fairly critical of Tago recently, but thought he was OK. Couple of drop balls at the end of the game, but at least they were at the right end of the field. Defensively much better.

Leota was great. That step and acceleration troubled the Knights everytime. Also really liked the running threat out of dummy half of both Sommerton and Toelau. Would like to see us keep one of them at 14 once Origin passes, and experiment with them coming on against tired middles.

Thought Sorenson was f**ked when he started limping in the first half, but he seemed to come good. Hopefully it was nothing serious. We can't afford to lose him on-top of Garner and Martin juggling Origin.

Good win overall. Time to get everyone rested up, and ready to crush the Cowboys.

WestyLife

First Grade
You'd have to argue though that the Premiership Machine keeps rolling on in spite of the bench selections.

I would note though that Ivan is not the only coach who keeps backs on the bench and doesn't even use them. Nicho Hynes famously got his Premiership ring against us in 2020 without playing a single second.

I do agree with others that having a fullback/five eighth on the bench seems like a waste. I like others would prefer a utility who could play hooker, a bit of halves and maybe centre/2nd row at a pinch. Someone here mentioned Connor Watson and I think that is a perfect example.

The other concern I have with the 2 forward bench is that we may end up burning our forwards out quicker than we otherwise would.

In recent weeks I have seen us shift Lindsay Smith to the edge when Fish and Leota come back on and our 2nd rowers need a rest. Whilst he does a fine job against lesser teams when we are playing well - we have also seen him badly exposed against good teams when on an edge. That 2023 Grand final comes to mind but we have seen it more than a few times this year as well. I hope that Ivan does not persist with this come finals time.

That was me. That style utility will be the next big thing after the ball playing lock came back. The game is getting quicker more ball in play etc and the hia is a factor.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Watched the game last night, and had a quick read of this thread, and something that seems to have gone unnoticed is that we've gone from the worst team at defusing short drop-outs to one of the best.

We forced a lot of drop-outs, and I can only remember one, very late in the game that we got out jumped for. Being able to use dropouts to build pressure was a staple of 20-22 Pantherball, long may it continue.

I've been fairly critical of Tago recently, but thought he was OK. Couple of drop balls at the end of the game, but at least they were at the right end of the field. Defensively much better.

Leota was great. That step and acceleration troubled the Knights everytime. Also really liked the running threat out of dummy half of both Sommerton and Toelau. Would like to see us keep one of them at 14 once Origin passes, and experiment with them coming on against tired middles.

Thought Sorenson was f**ked when he started limping in the first half, but he seemed to come good. Hopefully it was nothing serious. We can't afford to lose him on-top of Garner and Martin juggling Origin.

Good win overall. Time to get everyone rested up, and ready to crush the Cowboys.
The Knights were awful really. They rarely went to Best. Very poor coaching and or play for the halves

WestyLife

First Grade
We will have an extended bench within the next 5 years. Or they'll relax the rules for use of the 18th man.

That player will become the utility.

Something will have to happen. Multiple coaches have spoken this year about it so player welfare and wanting the best players on the field will dictate needing the nrl to act. Manly can barely field a team right now same as tigers.

Latest posts