What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs Dragons

Kilkenny

Coach
I thought Cogger under the circrumstances did OK tonight..

Though STI played a 'spoiling type' of game tonight. Got many 50 / 50 calls re penalties.

Some at the game stated that Sutton was calling STI players offside nearly every set (without penalising).

I noticed that Yeo spoke to the refs at 1/2 time about this too.

I thought that Kenny did really well, considering he played 80 mins. I imagine the original plan was for Cogger to come in and play dummy half when needed.

More than happy to take an ugly win, and move unto next week.
You’re right, YEO had a very long conversation with Sutton late in the first half , rightly so.

Sometimes you just have to enjoy ugly wins and tonight was one of those nights.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You’re right, YEO had a very long conversation with Sutton late in the first half , rightly so.

Sometimes you just have to enjoy ugly wins and tonight was one of those nights.

Because I was watching from my sofa, you heard the contents of the discussion. It was as I stated.

I thought under the circumstances it was a good tough gritty win.

The Realist

Juniors
Yeah, that was a very ugly win.

Edwards did his SOO chances no Favours. Luai's indifferent form has continued - amplified by the fact that he didn't really appear to 'step up' once Cleary left the field.

I thought Cogger did a really good job TBH. I was very impressed - a few of those plays including the bomb to To'o on the full - I was wondering whether Cleary would have executed or even attempted them.

Kilkenny

Coach

Edwards did his SOO chances no Favours. Luai's indifferent form has continued - amplified by the fact that he didn't really appear to 'step up' once Cleary left the field.

I thought Cogger did a really good job TBH. I was very impressed - a few of those plays including the bomb to To'o on the full - I was wondering whether Cleary would have executed or even attempted them.
Never going to be picked anyway but do a couple of handling errors undo two and a half seasons of being the best overall FB in the game. Is that where we’re at , Dylan lost possession twice so out of the running for Origin. one game and even some of fans turn on him, give me a break.

mxlegend99

Referee

Brians second try was obviously a set play we had up our sleeves for scrums with no time on the clock.

Whether or not Cleary executes it is another story. Though he tends to drop the ball exactly where he wants it so I would back him.

But we've had a lot of trick plays from scrums up our sleeves. We only saw that one last night because there was not much to lose by attempting it. No way it happens with time for the full set.

kinghippo

Juniors
Tough game. The dragons scored some really good tries, they were the type of play they mess up 9 times out of 10 usually.
They put in a very good performance across the park.

I really like seeing the big guys come off the bench for us, they all played well. Very lucky to have cogger, I was hoping we gave him a run soon.
As for Nathan, he is irreplaceable but we can win a few without.
It will be good for our team to get the nsw pressure off him and get those pesky teeth out.

Iamback

Coach
I don’t know whether you were there or not but can you just not give credit where credit is due regardless of the opposition or pace of the game. FFS just find a positive for a change.

The kid gets 72 minutes in cup, opportunities to express himself which he hasn’t had in NRL and delivers a freakish try Along with another try assist. He did have a few mistakes but overall very good.

Where did I say he played bad?

f**k some people like to argue for the sake of it.

He had a couple of nice touches against the bottom side in NSW Cup. As he did last year

He also had a couple of nice touches against the Roosters last NRL game too.

For whatever reason he isn't getting minutes in the NRL, Putting in more quality minutes in NRL is needed. That is all I was saying

Iamback

Coach
Seriously mate, if anyone’s opinions don’t fit your narrative you just call them out.

It is tiresome. How often do you put forward a like for anyone’s opinions other than your fan boys.

No objectivity.

I think you are clearly very passionate and for that you should be commended but you just don’t tolerate anyone who opposes your perspective.

The response said 'I was cooked'

What difference of opinion is that?

How about some points as to why my opinion is wrong?

I am happy to have debates but people need offer actual opinions

chrisD

Coach
Hosking and Smith don't offer much, I would like to see Garner get a 5 or so game run to see what he has. I suppose we have to persevere with Smith because we're losing Spencer.

soc123_au

Staff member
Certainly a game to forget for the most part. 2 points is 2 points, so can't complain.

Cogger went ok I thought. It will be interesting to see how he goes while Nathan is out. When we signed him I saw a few comments on the Kennel forum saying he would do well in our system and that they were keen to see how he went. Was a bit unusual as they are mostly pretty rabid on there toward ex players, I figured a few must genuinely rate him.

The Realist

Juniors
Never going to be picked anyway but do a couple of handling errors undo two and a half seasons of being the best overall FB in the game. Is that where we’re at , Dylan lost possession twice so out of the running for Origin. one game and even some of fans turn on him, give me a break.

Mate he is a LONG Shot to get the gig anyway. If you are a long shot you have to play out of your skin to get the nod. NSW is spoiled for choice when it comes to fullback. There is no fullback as lion hearted as Edwards, but his abilities are limited when compared to Turbo, Latrell, Gutho or pre-2023 Teddy.

Of particular note was Ravalawa's first try. People said in SOO that Edwards would have stopped that Sideline try (where Luai got to the winger to slow him down) but in almost identical circumstances Edwards failed (I still think he would have saved that try in SOO because the QLD winger isn't a beast like Rava is).

In this game - other than being safe under the high ball Edwards didn't really do much of note other than coughing the ball up a few times. Hardly a strong message to the selectors.

Iamback

Coach
Hosking and Smith don't offer much, I would like to see Garner get a 5 or so game run to see what he has. I suppose we have to persevere with Smith because we're losing Spencer.

That is the thing.

Take the 17 from the weekend.

if you need extra middle minutes

Garner to backrow. Sorro middle

Or simply to outside back coverage should it be needed.

The Realist

Juniors

They are the type of work horse plodders that most teams need. In 2020-2022 we have been spoilt for choice. Our benchies were starter quality at many Clubs - hardly a plodder - or average workhorse in sight other than when Origin/injuries struck.

But the reality is that the salary cap means we couldn't sustain it. It is clear that in 2023 we have to accept that some of our 17 are going to have to be mediocre players. Both Hosking and Smith will never be stars or anything other than 'solid' players. As long as they do their jobs - particularly in defence I am okay with that.