What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 v Canberra

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
I was with you until you said average defence. He had a bad read in the first game going for the hero intercept (which none of us complained about in October 21) but outside of that his defence has been outstanding. Against the Rabbits in particular he was very strong against a very good left edge attack.

Agree, he was pretty much MOM in that game.. People quickly forget, or choose to forget. He was superb

Munky

Coach
Right centre for the layman looks to be the hardest position on the field to defend.

Most teams attack better down their left and rely on the centre getting caught in no man's land.

Critter has generally been brilliant there. The fabled Souths left side has only had one good day there the past few years and that was with Cleary out.

martielang

Bench
Martin a line runner? When? He plays like a middle forward on the edge.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing Garner and Hosking on the edges for big minutes with Martin playing in the middle rotation. The dismissal of Garner as an option after 1.5 games is insane but very league unlimited Panthers forum.

The Realist

Juniors
Martin a line runner? When? He plays like a middle forward on the edge.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing Garner and Hosking on the edges for big minutes with Martin playing in the middle rotation. The dismissal of Garner as an option after 1.5 games is insane but very league unlimited Panthers forum.

The opinion that Martin is not much of an edge forward is also a very 'league unlimited' opinion. NSW and Aussie selectors currently disagree as does our coach.

He is a very good edge forward, and still underrated there by many. He can and has made some great offloads and passes to his outside. He also has underrated footwork and is deceptively quick especially over 40...there are not many 2nd rowers who can put on a burst of speed like Marto can.

Just because he is very physical (because he can!) doesn't make him a prop. I have seen him play prop a few times and he does okay there but since he is a little smaller than many of them he struggles to dominate - and his other attributes that make him a good edge forward are wasted in the position.

I agree that we shouldn't just cast Garner aside - but the early signs are not promising. Some of us have family or as is my case close friends who are Tigers fans, so we watch Tigers games more than the average neutral - and from what I saw from his play there, it wasn't encouraging.

The Realist

Juniors
Right centre for the layman looks to be the hardest position on the field to defend.

Most teams attack better down their left and rely on the centre getting caught in no man's land.

Critter has generally been brilliant there. The fabled Souths left side has only had one good day there the past few years and that was with Cleary out.

Critter is a Top 3 defensive centre in the game. I would argue possibly #1. Only Campbell Graham and Manu can compete against him for that mantle.

That is why it was frustrating to see him go for the crazy low percentage play against the Broncos. Ended up losing us the game. It was very much unlike him. Added in some of the crazy offload attempts deep in our own end, his silly penalties and even throwing away challenges and it leads me to believe his head isn't quite right.

I share the opinion that as the season progresses that he will snap out of it.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
The opinion that Martin is not much of an edge forward is also a very 'league unlimited' opinion. NSW and Aussie selectors currently disagree as does our coach.

He is a very good edge forward, and still underrated there by many. He can and has made some great offloads and passes to his outside. He also has underrated footwork and is deceptively quick especially over 40...there are not many 2nd rowers who can put on a burst of speed like Marto can.

Just because he is very physical (because he can!) doesn't make him a prop. I have seen him play prop a few times and he does okay there but since he is a little smaller than many of them he struggles to dominate - and his other attributes that make him a good edge forward are wasted in the position.

I agree that we shouldn't just cast Garner aside - but the early signs are not promising. Some of us have family or as is my case close friends who are Tigers fans, so we watch Tigers games more than the average neutral - and from what I saw from his play there, it wasn't encouraging.
In our current squad Martin needs to play backrow 100% but he doesn't run great lines, doesn't have great footwork, doesn't really set up his centre. He's versatile to play both but his skill set suits the middle better.
I think he's the perfect replacement for Spencer in the middle next year

The Realist

Juniors
In our current squad Martin needs to play backrow 100% but he doesn't run great lines, doesn't have great footwork, doesn't really set up his centre. He's versatile to play both but his skill set suits the middle better.
I think he's the perfect replacement for Spencer in the middle next year

I agree he isn't an 'excellent' line runner just a competent one. Partially that is because he doesn't need to be, he just breaks tackles through strength and balance. He doesn't have 'Elite' footwork either (because he doesn't need it as per above) but it is still underatted. I suggest that the sceptics take a closer look at him during this season.

age.s

First Grade
Brother-in-law is a long suffering Wests fan (as in, followed the Magpies through the 90s). Take it fwiw, but he's watched Garner closely for several years and his take is:

Very good line runner. Changes angles well and bags more tries than you'd expect.
Defends decently. Mostly good with the odd poor effort now and then.
Poor engine. Not going to be getting through a ton of work and vulnerable later in a game.
Very little power in general play.
Often invisible. Needs the game to come to him.
Overall decent player with flaws.

More or less gels with what we've seen from him the first few rounds. There's enough there to suggest he can play a role, but on the flip side he's not got enough to push out a guy who's put in performances like Hosking has the past couple of weeks and no way in the world you dislodge a dual premiership winning, incumbent Australian international from his most familiar position to accommodate him. No shame in contributing to a squad like this by coming in first drop when injuries and/or fatigue hits the squad or during/post Origin. One of our lovable depth plodders like Huth is and Kenny should be.

Hooked

Juniors
Brother-in-law is a long suffering Wests fan (as in, followed the Magpies through the 90s). Take it fwiw, but he's watched Garner closely for several years and his take is:

Very good line runner. Changes angles well and bags more tries than you'd expect.
Defends decently. Mostly good with the odd poor effort now and then.
Poor engine. Not going to be getting through a ton of work and vulnerable later in a game.
Very little power in general play.
Often invisible. Needs the game to come to him.
Overall decent player with flaws.

More or less gels with what we've seen from him the first few rounds. There's enough there to suggest he can play a role, but on the flip side he's not got enough to push out a guy who's put in performances like Hosking has the past couple of weeks and no way in the world you dislodge a dual premiership winning, incumbent Australian international from his most familiar position to accommodate him. No shame in contributing to a squad like this by coming in first drop when injuries and/or fatigue hits the squad or during/post Origin. One of our lovable depth plodders like Huth is and Kenny should be.

Garner I would have as a benchie. That is it. Come on when the sting is out of the opening 20. And if we are desperate from HIA or injury. Cover centre during the match.

Latest posts