What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 v Canberra

Girds89

Bench
I didn't get involved in the Sorenson second row argument but I want him in the middle not because I think he'd be a bad second rower but because he really compliments the middle rotation and adds inpact in his own way. We have Martin and Hoskings who should be starting second rowers, salmon who does short stints well and garner who needs time under a good coach but has potential.

Never have had an issue with soro playing middle.. agree with most of that.

But he should be spending 50% of time at training between back row and middle.

We lack the depth on the edges this year and there's a very good chance with origin and injuries that he will need to play a lot of time there this year..

With Smith and eiso as very good middles too we have coverage at prop but definitely not as much on the edge.

I think it would just be good to see him play a bit of both. I think he showed more in 60 mins last night than garner has in years. By no means was he brilliant... but there was a few glimpses there of what he can do..

Martin left
Hosking right

Luke
Soro
Spencer
Salmon/Peachy

Bench for me. With soro to spend time on an edge depending on game situation/teams that we are versing.. just need to be flexible with it.

Iamback

Coach

We lack the depth on the edges this year and there's a very good chance with origin and injuries that he will need to play a lot of time there this year..

With Smith and eiso as very good middles too we have coverage at prop but definitely not as much on the edge.

I think it would just be good to see him play a bit of both. I think he showed more in 60 mins last night than garner has in years. By no means was he brilliant... but there was a few glimpses there of what he can do..

Martin left
Hosking right

Luke
Soro
Spencer
Salmon/Peachy

Bench for me. With soro to spend time on an edge depending on game situation/teams that we are versing.. just need to be flexible with it.

We need Luke and Spencer coming on in the 1st half, Sorro playing edge allows that to happen

WestyLife

First Grade

Martin left
Hosking right

Luke
Soro
Spencer
Salmon/Peachy

That sounds reasonable. I'm a big believer in having the squad be adaptable especially with how the hia rules are now. If Sorenson is prepared to play middle and edge it's zero downside and all upside.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Things I liked about last nights game in no particular order…
- Jaeman scoring right on full time to get us to 50 because f#*k you Ricky!!!!
- Lindsay Smith having a blinder getting thru a mountain of work including saving a try with his effort.
- Moses Leota in full on beast mode!!
- Turuva‘s energy throughout the whole game, looks like he has been playing NRL for 10 years.
- Zac Hoskings looks like he has secured himself a place in first grade.

And things I didn’t like so much…..
- Although he scored a good try it looks to me like Chrichton already has his head at the Dogs. Not only has he been poor this year he has been a liability at times. If Taylan May was to come back into the side now (I know he is gone for the season) it should be Chrichton making way for him.
- And finally I know it’s easy for us to dump on Mitch Kenny but it’s pretty clear he just isn’t NRL standard. IMO unless we come up with a better dummy half we aren’t a chance of winning another comp.

age.s

First Grade
Just on Critta, he's had loads of games like that in his career. Ordinary and/or invisible for long periods, but pops up for a massive play with a sublime piece of skill. He's done plenty of things like that in our biggest moments and while I'd like to see more out of him generally, the odds of him cracking a w3/4 finals game open remain pretty high. I wouldn't even consider getting rid of him this year.

WestyLife

First Grade
Things I liked about last nights game in no particular order…
- Jaeman scoring right on full time to get us to 50 because f#*k you Ricky!!!!
- Lindsay Smith having a blinder getting thru a mountain of work including saving a try with his effort.
- Moses Leota in full on beast mode!!
- Turuva‘s energy throughout the whole game, looks like he has been playing NRL for 10 years.
- Zac Hoskings looks like he has secured himself a place in first grade.

And things I didn’t like so much…..
- Although he scored a good try it looks to me like Chrichton already has his head at the Dogs. Not only has he been poor this year he has been a liability at times. If Taylan May was to come back into the side now (I know he is gone for the season) it should be Chrichton making way for him.
- And finally I know it’s easy for us to dump on Mitch Kenny but it’s pretty clear he just isn’t NRL standard. IMO unless we come up with a better dummy half we aren’t a chance of winning another comp.

Yeah critta looks done. Heart just isn't on it looking at that intercept and the missed tackle playing for a penalty among other things.

Girds89

Bench
A week in reserves or a rocket.

He's a good player but what he's dished up this year hasn't been up to panthers standard or his.

Maybe yeo needs to have a sit down with him.

We are a better team with him in it no doubt but he needs to be invested and having a crack.. half a dozen runs for 70m when the other backs are busting there guts out and are out on their feet isn't good enough.

To top it all off his defence has been avg this year.

Here's hoping a rocket during the week gets him firing

The Realist

Juniors
I know we just racked up 50 points and I shouldn't be complaining, but...

FMD Critta has been ordinary this year. Tonight he had a bad missed tackle early leading to a line break. Multiple penalties (and sin-binning). An error rucking it out of our own half. And didn't look interesting in doing any work with ball in hand.

Last week was the same. Just 5 runs, 2 penalties against. Add in that terrible intercept attempt against Brisbane that lead to a try.

Really bad signs IMO.

His head hasn't been right since getting back from the World Cup. He has looked distracted, frustrated and unfocused. Pushing silly plays and ill-discipline are the results.

I know we won easily but had he done the same against the Storm at 12-6, that sort of play and attitude would have lost us the match. As you pointed out, it is not an isolated incident either. Every game this year he has done something silly that was just not in his game at all last year.

Iamback

Coach
Martin and Hoskings aren't identical. Martin is more brute force to Hoskings line running and skill. A lot of cross over between them but you get the point I'm sure.

I mean neither are very fast or have footwork etc.

Blade said the plan was to give Luke 2 stints. Given Kenny is going to play middle minutes.

Moving Sorensen allows Spencer and Luke on in the 1st half. It also means Hosking is on at the end instead of Salmon for the last 30 mins

soc123_au

Staff member
It was a fun game, especially the 2nd half. I have always loved the Peach and was very happy to see him bag a try, but if he is our big hope for cracking open the better defences it's a worry.

Hosking, what can I say, this bloke looks the goods.

Soro is a middle, but it's good to know he can do a job on the edge if required, I'm against a permanent switch. No point weakining the middle for a tiny gain on the edge (Over Garner) I'd be exploring Marto or Hosking switching to the left. If Sorro needs to fill in there mid game because of injury then we are fine.

WGDP ending the Raiders season scoring the 50 is going to be hard to top for moment of the season. It was poetic.

Looking forward to next week and seeing if we can keep up the momentum against Manly.

My kingdom for a hooker. Kenny aint it.

Bred not Bought

Juniors

His pass leading up to the Cleary try was woeful.
He had 1 run for 0 metres. We can't have a hooker that doesn't run the ball or pass properly. We can get away with it against the deadbeats but not the top sides.

Last edited:

Bred not Bought

Juniors
Martin can play on the left he’s filled in there for kiks plenty of times I’d be backing him to figure it out pretty quickly. Hosking at this stage has to be in the side as Ennis said last night he had really shut the door on the other options.

His 2nd game as a starter was on the left in 2019. He had a great game and scored a try on the left. I wouldn't be moving Hosking.

GongPanther

Referee
I know we just racked up 50 points and I shouldn't be complaining, but...

FMD Critta has been ordinary this year. Tonight he had a bad missed tackle early leading to a line break. Multiple penalties (and sin-binning). An error rucking it out of our own half. And didn't look interesting in doing any work with ball in hand.

Last week was the same. Just 5 runs, 2 penalties against. Add in that terrible intercept attempt against Brisbane that lead to a try.

Really bad signs IMO.
He has won football Lotto, and he can't get his mind off the big moola. I'm sure he'll snap out of it sooner than later.

I was with you until you said average defence. He had a bad read in the first game going for the hero intercept (which none of us complained about in October 21) but outside of that his defence has been outstanding. Against the Rabbits in particular he was very strong against a very good left edge attack.

Latest posts