What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The two clubs in serious danger of collapse - Tele

Ausguy

Coach
would you prefer they move or fold? honest question.

Fold.

How dare they patronise me and name them the adelaide sharks i support the area, region the sharks represent as that area is where i grew up.... im not going to support adleaide just cos they are named after the same mascot. moving is NOT the cronulla sharks its the adelaide sharks....

Shorty

Staff member
^Well stop being a fan now then, because you're nothing but toxic for the game regardless with that attitude.
F**k your team is yet to win a premiership after 40 years but it's too much to ask for relocation.

Evenflow

Bench
This blog is terrible PR for the NRL. Its a matter for those with financial interests in clubs, not really the fans.

It's got just as much to do with the fans as anyone. If more fans of these clubs (in particular Cronulla) got off their arses in bigger numbers then perhaps they wouldn't be in this predicament.

Hopefully the ones that do prefer to sit at home and watch it might read this and actually go support their team at the ground. I feel for the fans that do their bit in helping keep the club afloat, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the ones who decided to do nothing while they had the chance will be the ones whinging the most when their team gets the arse.

Ausguy

Coach
^Well stop being a fan now then, because you're nothing but toxic for the game regardless with that attitude.
F**k your team is yet to win a premiership after 40 years but it's too much to ask for relocation.

your kidding right?

attitude???

how the f**k am i going to attend games that are 3000km away???

winning a premisership has nothing to do with it.... he asked would i prefer to see them fold than relocate. Yes is my answer.

Shorty

Staff member
your kidding right?

attitude???

winning a premisership has nothing to do with it.... he asked would i prefer to see them fold than relocate. Yes is my answer.
There's Warriors fans all over Australia and Sydney based teams fans all over Queensland they still manage to be fans of their side and attend a few games.

Hell I'm a North Queensland supporter living in Brisbane:?

It seems like a pretty self destructive attitude to me.
If the Cows had to relocate to Sydney somewhere I'd still support them and I guess....but grateful they're still in the comp in general and not in an area of convinience.
Just ask a Bears supporter...

Nightward

Juniors
must be nice to follow brisbane melbourne or canberra....as an example and not have to worry about all this just due to your geographical location....

Oh, please.

The Sydney clubs make a big deal of their long history and the fact that they have 80+ years on everyone else in the competition.

Well, guess what? They've had 80+ extra years to get their houses into order by attracting and keeping fans and sponsors, but chose not to in order to make the fast and easy money from grants, NRL hand-outs, and poker machines.

So the Broncos, Raiders, and Titans have some savvy business people on board and chose not to follow the example of the Sydney clubs, and are now in a better financial position. Boo hoo.

There's more to it than being a one-team town. But it's always easier to whine and point fingers than it is to admit that the Sydney clubs have screwed up. Again.

your kidding right?

attitude???

Well I am an Eels fan right now living in Townsville (temporary) whilst premanently living in Brisbane. Do I still support the Eels? Of course I do! If the Parramatta relocated to another city/town/regio would I still support them? Of course I would. If the Eels died would I still be a rugby league fan. Of course I would. The game is bigger than one club. I would be devastated but you are not a real fan of the Sharks if you don't support the game it is involved in.

joshreading

Staff member
This blog and now thread is dribble. Yes clubs are facing a hard time and some will have to make some very hard decisions but there really was not a thing we didn't know at all in that blog.

The NRL has already made it clear, that they won't let anyone fold outright.

Mr Saab

Referee

Wonder how you would feel if the cowboys re located to Perth.

Justafan

Juniors
As a Parramatta Supporter I start to salivate when I start to think of a "super" club in the western suburbs called the Parramatta-Penrith Panthers. With two large Leagues clubs behind them and two massive junior area combined, such a club would have a dynamic future IMHO. I for one would like to see a merger before either one fall over. The same with other clubs that are on the brink.

Navjot

Juniors
Those sharks fanatics seem to turn up to every home and away game ive watched on tv they seem to be there rain or shine and are probably mostly young guys and girls that make up the bulk of it,they certainly dont let the club down, its good to see i hope other clubs in the future can drum up that type of support like that.

skeepe

Immortal
must be nice to follow brisbane melbourne or canberra....as an example and not have to worry about all this just due to your geographical location....

Canberra has been f**king horrible for national sporting teams... only the Brumbies and Raiders have survived, and I know the Raiders have been close to disaster once or twice.

Look at the track record:
Canberra Comets - gone
Canberra Cannons - gone
Canberra Cosmos - gone
Canberra Gunners - gone

The Brumbies and Raiders survive not because they're in a "one team town", but because they've made some astute business decisions. The Canberra Raiders group not only own 2-3 leagues clubs, they also own plenty of other registered clubs around Canberra and Logan up in Queensland, as well as various other things.

Canberra's cashflow is secure, but only because of good management and not because of location.

griffo346

First Grade
im a panther fan living in adelaide and i find time to make a trip or to to penrith

however if a team came here i wont support them but i will go watch it simply put as there is a nrl fixture here

and i will do that in round 6 when the cowboys play sharks here i will go watch it but wont support either but i am going basically coz i love the game :)

Ausguy

Coach
There's Warriors fans all over Australia and Sydney based teams fans all over Queensland they still manage to be fans of their side and attend a few games.

Hell I'm a North Queensland supporter living in Brisbane:?

It seems like a pretty self destructive attitude to me.
If the Cows had to relocate to Sydney somewhere I'd still support them and I guess....but grateful they're still in the comp in general and not in an area of convinience.
Just ask a Bears supporter...

Yes but the warriors havent moved, the fans moved away from the warriors. Yes but the sydney team hasnt moved the fans moved interstate. This is around the other way, the team is moving away from the supporter base, its much much different.

You would support the cowboys if they moved to Adelaide, thats great for you. I would not support the adelaide sharks as to me they do not represent where i grew up.

Why do you support Nth QLD, did you come from there?

Anyway im over arguing my case. I wont be the only one lost to the game when/if my team moves or folds.

Just ask the bears supporters....

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
I can't see the NRL letting Newcastle go under. It's an important area for Rugby League.

I believe the Central Coast deserve a team in the NRL, but with Newcastle and the Central Coast being a very similar size, population wise, does this suggest they too may struggle after the first couple of years?

Also if the suggestions are true and Cronulla are circling the drain, can a potential move to the Central Coast be opposed by the Bears? Or will that just bury any hope the Bears have?

Mr Saab

Referee
Um...support them, organise a trip to Perth and see mates and go to the game etc etc.
Bit dense today aren't we:lol:

I didnt ask what you would do, just asked how you would feel. Reading skills are lacking today are they?
Not alllllll fans can just pick up the bags and fly interstate....some fans dont have the funding to do so.
Some fans want THEIR team in the area that they have always been.
You cant abuse someone for that.

Ausguy

Coach
Um...support them, organise a trip to Perth and see mates and go to the game etc etc.
Bit dense today aren't we:lol:

good one add an insult to someone who asked a serious question.

"organise a trip to perth and see mates" every second week???

Not likely.

Ausguy

Coach
I didnt ask what you would do, just asked how you would feel. Reading skills are lacking today are they?
Not alllllll fans can just pick up the bags and fly interstate....some fans dont have the funding to do so.
Some fans want THEIR team in the area that they have always been.
You cant abuse someone for that.

Bingo!!!

we have a winner!