What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

But a new SEQLD team won't be playing out of Lang Park, they'll be playing out of Suncorp Stadi... oh wait.

Epic fail.

The broncos played at qe2 and the crushers played at Lang park. The reds (union) played at ballymore and the strikers (soccer) played at Perry park & ballymore (only played at suncorp for 97 nsl final).

The difference now is broncos, reds, roar, aus union, aus league, qld league, aus soccer all play out of suncorp.

Comprehend?

adamkungl

Immortal
Ipswich and the potential rivalries with the other QLD teams will open up all kinds of sponsorship and revenue opportunities.
CC Bears and the potential rivalries with the other NSW teams (particularly Manly and Newcastle) will open up all kinds of sponsorship and revenue opportunities.

It also puts a 3rd team in SEQLD, keeping League on top of the AFL in this area. At the moment its 2-2, which is unacceptable.

Pfft. AFL have nothing. If AFL put 5 more teams in QLD would we have to match that as well? No point putting a team where no one is going to watch.

Flip it around, if we put 2 unwanted teams in Adelaide, would the AFL thus be forced to put an extra team there just so they have more?

RUBBISH argument.

As I see it, CC and SE QLD stand on even ground as locations. Similar populations, both growing, both already heartlands, both have good prospects for instant rivalries with other teams.

SEQLD has an advantage of more QLD options for live TV, and having a game in Brisbane almost every week.

On the other hand, the Bears have the advantage of bringing back a large amount of lost RL fans, righting the final wrongs of Super League and creating a massive feel good vibe in NSW RL.

Both teams would have a very positive effect on crowds and tv in their home states, and I don't think either is of particularly more value than the other.

This is where you have to look at the bids offered, and this is where the Bears trounce the competition. They have been working at it for years and tick every box (except the magical 'must be in QLD' box). I don't believe that in the next 6 months or so Ipswich can match what they have done. I don't believe CQ is viable for about 10 years. And there is no other 'Brisbane 2' bid.

BDGS

Bench
CC Bears and the potential rivalries with the other NSW teams (particularly Manly and Newcastle) will open up all kinds of sponsorship and revenue opportunities.

Pfft. AFL have nothing. If AFL put 5 more teams in QLD would we have to match that as well? No point putting a team where no one is going to watch.

Flip it around, if we put 2 unwanted teams in Adelaide, would the AFL thus be forced to put an extra team there just so they have more?

RUBBISH argument.

As I see it, CC and SE QLD stand on even ground as locations. Similar populations, both growing, both already heartlands, both have good prospects for instant rivalries with other teams.

SEQLD has an advantage of more QLD options for live TV, and having a game in Brisbane almost every week.

On the other hand, the Bears have the advantage of bringing back a large amount of lost RL fans, righting the final wrongs of Super League and creating a massive feel good vibe in NSW RL.

Both teams would have a very positive effect on crowds and tv in their home states, and I don't think either is of particularly more value than the other.

This is where you have to look at the bids offered, and this is where the Bears trounce the competition. They have been working at it for years and tick every box (except the magical 'must be in QLD' box). I don't believe that in the next 6 months or so Ipswich can match what they have done. I don't believe CQ is viable for about 10 years. And there is no other 'Brisbane 2' bid.

Not just NSW, the whole country really especially when the WA team comes in with the CC team.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think he is suggesting bringing two of the teams back who suffered from SL war would make most people happy.

dgsfan

Juniors
Heaps of teams suffered from the super league war. Why these two? Reds make sense because they have value. I don't see much value from a Bear bid.

BDGS

Bench
Perhaps because they are not the only two still fighting to rejoin the comp but the fact they are the two most advance bids. Like it or not time is running out and there is only three bid teams in with a chance. Ipswich is not one of them.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I don't think the NRL will bring in two teams in the same year. Not even the AFL are stupid enough to do this.

dgsfan

Juniors
The Ipswich bid represents the South Queensland area (like it or not).

I think they will, but I think they'll wait until QLD is ready.

1 team in 2013 (Reds) and another in 2015 (QLD) would be perfect.

PaulyTom

Juniors
The Ipswich bid represents the South Queensland area (like it or not).

I think they will, but I think they'll wait until QLD is ready.

1 team in 2013 (Reds) and another in 2015 (QLD) would be perfect.

I agree with this.

Maybe a second team will enter 2014 if all goes well.

BDGS

Bench
The NRL will not expand if that means they will be forced to have a bye.

It'll be two bids, that why the NRL is currently talking up two of the bids. The year may change, but if that happens that will only be done because of biased towards QLD bids as they the SEQ is currently merely more then just a dream.

People will believe anything if their heart is there though, which is why so many people say so much dumb things on these sites without sources or inside sources.

dgsfan

Juniors
How likely is it that that game will be on FTA, though? How much money will FOX be willing to offer for an extra game? They already under pay their most watched program.

applesauce

Bench
There will probably be a season at least between the 2 entering teams. The extra game for the remaining 3(+) years will be calculated into the deal and divided by the number of years of the deal for the annual payment to the code.

The bidding wars would be shocking (with anywhere up to 20million coming onto the player market) and the drain on talent that would occur by bringing in 2 new sides, plus the marketing that each team would take from the other would essentially shoot the NRL and the entering teams in the foot.

BDGS

Bench
How likely is it that that game will be on FTA, though? How much money will FOX be willing to offer for an extra game? They already under pay their most watched program.

Who gives a sh*t if its FTA or fox. Whoever gives the most money for it should get it.

Perth Red

Post Whore

If they end up splitting the rights across two FTA channels and Fox, an extra game could be very attractive.

franklin2323

Immortal

It doesn't matter how much aslong as the 9th game is paid for. Which is why they will do that the same year. A bye is no better then now. We brought 4 in at once so predence is there. Go back in history. its always pairs except for 88 but that would of been to cover the bye in the comp.

andrew057

First Grade
Is dgsfan seriously questioning the value of an extra game to the next TV deal? Talk about agendas.

dgsfan

Juniors
I'm asking if the extra money gained from the extra game (probably on FOX) will be offset by factors including player drain, advertising loss, etc.

dgsfan

Juniors
There will probably be a season at least between the 2 entering teams. The extra game for the remaining 3(+) years will be calculated into the deal and divided by the number of years of the deal for the annual payment to the code.

The bidding wars would be shocking (with anywhere up to 20million coming onto the player market) and the drain on talent that would occur by bringing in 2 new sides, plus the marketing that each team would take from the other would essentially shoot the NRL and the entering teams in the foot.

Good logical post, glossed over by many here.

Latest posts