What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs Sea Eagles

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Not sure on him , we got rid of a guy that was our top try scorer, most try assists, most line breaks , and scored some great individual tries , but let him go , and who I thought was a better player than Sloan , Dufty ...... So do we keep persevering , and hope in the off season Flanno can do something with him , or is the writing on the wall with Lomax training as a fullback ....... Time will tell .......
I agree to a point on Sloan although I think its worth giving him a go under flanno and hopefully he’ll toughen up in offseason under a new coaching regime. Next season is do or die for him.
As for Lomax I think he has all the attributes of a fine edge forward with a little more beef added to him.
Only my opinion

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting comments regarding Sloan, to which I agree with mostly.

However, and I think it has been mentioned many times, that Sloan is a manufactured fullback. His junior games were on the wing, and even in the premiership year of the SG Ball, he wasn't the fullback, Treigh Stewart was. And add that Feagai filled in at fullback when Stewart didn't play.

So, yeah, I agree his defense is abysmal, and it wouldn't surprise to see Lonax at fb sooner than later. But, I'd like to see Sloan on the wing in place of Feagai, surely he couldn't be any worse.

Illusion

Bench
I agree to a point on Sloan although I think its worth giving him a go under flanno and hopefully he’ll toughen up in offseason under a new coaching regime. Next season is do or die for him.
As for Lomax I think he has all the attributes of a fine edge forward with a little more beef added to him.
Only my opinion
Mate I seen Lomax recently , he is a big boy , and the way he plays , every moment is physical , he would go good as an edge forward or fullback ...... Mongrel written all over him ......

RedVee_8

Juniors

However, and I think it has been mentioned many times, that Sloan is a manufactured fullback. His junior games were on the wing, and even in the premiership year of the SG Ball, he wasn't the fullback, Treigh Stewart was. And add that Feagai filled in at fullback when Stewart didn't play.

So, yeah, I agree his defense is abysmal, and it wouldn't surprise to see Lonax at fb sooner than later. But, I'd like to see Sloan on the wing in place of Feagai, surely he couldn't be any worse.
If it was good enough for Minnichello to start with a few years as a FG winger before graduating to FB, surely it’s good enough for Sloan?

mobels

Juniors

If Sloan plays wing he will get absolutely dominated on every single hit up that he takes. Unfortunately for him the game has completely changed since the 90s and all the wingers from top 8 teams are both physically strong and fast. Him playing wing will also stop him from chiming into any type of backline plays (not that he even is involved in those 90% of the time).

From what I’ve seen from his game so far he is nothing but a Dufty 2.0 yet inferior. I hope he can become a better player than Dufty yet his ball playing ability seems significantly inferior in comparison to Dufty. We need a fullback that is strong in defence and can ball play as both our halves lack in creativity. IMO signing the Chad on a two year deal and getting rid of Ben Hunt ASAP is the best choice we can make, whilst we hope and pray that either Amone/Sloan become top line players in their positions.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hard pre-season workouts under better fitness and strength conditioners and trainers and of course Flanagan might help Sloan. He definitely needs to build in terms of muscle gaining weight and strength. He needs to learn and ignore the thought of being hurt and to put his body on the line just like Drinkwater, Walsh, Brimson, Meaney, Edwards etc who are not big fullbacks like Mitchell, Tommy T, Tedesco etc. He has to go hard and eliminate any thought of injury.

Sloan has the speed we need but needs to be much better in other areas that is for sure.

We have had high hopes for him, Sullivan, Amone, Feagai twins. In the lower grades they shone, but they have found it tougher in first grade but lets see how things go under Flanno.

TruSaint

Referee
There were positives last night and the highlight was the presser by Carr.

3 major turning points.

1. No try call.
2. 3 minute delayed sin bin.
3. Sloane miss on Saab.

Anyone one of those goes our way, we win. Two are pathetic ref errors and 1 is downright weak defence by Sloane. That tackle was there to be made.

Latest posts