What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs Sydney @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 6: Newcastle v Sydney

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slotmachine

First Grade
There was also the bizarre bunker decision where they upheld the challenge after the May knock on. But Sutton made up for it immediately with a weird call in our favour so that one kind of evened out.

We also got the one where Gags took a quick tap and immediately lost the ball, then sutton called it back because you can't take a quick tap after foul play. Which in this case didn't exist.

The ref had nothing to do with the periods of completely unacceptable middle defence, laughable kicking game and total lack of support on any of the breaks we made. Fix just one of those things and we likely win.

In the end we won the penalty count and set restarts were 3-3. Sutton letting the ruck become a WWE match for the last 20 minutes was poor, but we weren't smart enough to take advantage of it like the chooks either.

Knight Tales

Juniors
This group is too close. I have no issue with the being friends but the great clubs have that no compromising alpha like JWH. You heard it on that Tik Tok spray aimed at Dom. I said on an earlier post that the Roosters senior leadership do not let you off the hook. You earn their respect or you perish. I think what We heard and saw there was the vast gap between standards on field .

perverse

Referee
This group is too close. I have no issue with the being friends but the great clubs have that no compromising alpha like JWH. You heard it on that Tik Tok spray aimed at Dom. I said on an earlier post that the Roosters senior leadership do not let you off the hook. You earn their respect or you perish. I think what We heard and saw there was the vast gap between standards on field .
I don't think a group can be too close per se, it's about accountability. We have none. The only blokes we can rely on to set any sort of standard are quiet as a mouse - blokes like Friz and KP. It's all about honesty and accountability. KP would be well within his right to give everyone a massive spray after he does all the work and they let him down again, but I'm sure he doesn't.

Who in the team actually pulls Dan aside and tells him he's letting everyone down weekly?

Burwood

Bench
You want a close knit playing group, otherwise you end up with cliques and players feeling isolated. Pretty sure it was reported at the time that one of the biggest reasons Bennett signed Mason all those years ago was because he saw that there wasn't that character at the club to bring everyone together and it was reflecting in how they played and trained.

I remember reading an interview with Bennett, saying he realized the playing group was missing a certain type of character and recruited Willy Mason to fulfil that role.

We're missing a Mason/JWH type Alpha/Leader.

Being close is a trait of successful teams, as is not being afraid to publicly call out a weak link not pulling their weight.

Dsaf hasn't been called out for being a weak merkin - that's the problem. A weak leadership group.

You want a close knit playing group, otherwise you end up with cliques and players feeling isolated. Pretty sure it was reported at the time that one of the biggest reasons Bennett signed Mason all those years ago was because he saw that there wasn't that character at the club to bring everyone together and it was reflecting in how they played and trained.
haha posted at the same time. yes yes , I remember that report also. Our playing group is missing that character at the moment. Leadership is an issue at the club.

Apey

Staff member
I don't think a group can be too close per se, it's about accountability. We have none. The only blokes we can rely on to set any sort of standard are quiet as a mouse - blokes like Friz and KP. It's all about honesty and accountability. KP would be well within his right to give everyone a massive spray after he does all the work and they let him down again, but I'm sure he doesn't.

Who in the team actually pulls Dan aside and tells him he's letting everyone down weekly?
Yeah that's the only real problem with Ponga as a Captain. There really is nobody else though. Imagine Joey playing with some of these losers.

Woosh

Head Moderator
We also got the one where Gags took a quick tap and immediately lost the ball, then sutton called it back because you can't take a quick tap after foul play. Which in this case didn't exist.
The penalty was for a leg pull which is foul play

Knight Tales

Juniors
When a player calls you a weak c### on field on your own team, it is meant to get you to aim up. It happens in every training session . It does not mean there is an issue between the players. I bet Dom has a blinder on his return.

Woody90

Juniors
Obviously not a realistic chance of ever happening, but if I were Wests and Parr come hell or high water I’d try and get Bellamy to come to the club for a couple of years to help AOB and team get to another level. We need someone to come in and actually show the players and coach what true accountability and professionalism is. It’s been so long since we’ve been involved in a premiership, nobody at the club actually knows first hand how we make the step up. Until things change from the top we’re never going to be a consistently successful unit.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I agree with what people are saying about on-field leadership at the club. I sort of get the impression we’ve got a team of nice guys. They all seem to like playing with each other but you never see anyone blowing up deluxe at a teammate for an error or cracking heads together in the in-goal or anything. I thought that Hastings would be the guy to do that when he got here but we probably need an experienced rugged forward who demands accountability tbh. Obviously we don’t know what happens or is said behind closed doors but we’re not seeing that on the field.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Hastings does. It happened on Thurs when Cogger over calls him towards the end. The problem is his authority is somewhat undermined when he's in and out of the team.

Obviously not a realistic chance of ever happening, but if I were Wests and Parr come hell or high water I’d try and get Bellamy to come to the club for a couple of years to help AOB and team get to another level. We need someone to come in and actually show the players and coach what true accountability and professionalism is.
I really don't see how it would change much if we cannot keep the quality cattle we develop or afford to bring in quality replacements.

See Barny today ? The heart of our pack beats at the Warriors.

Sky Daddy couldn't coach our lot to a Premiership.

Last season they all played to, and in many cases well above their potential in a rare purple patch.

Woody90

Juniors
I really don't see how it would change much if we cannot keep the quality cattle we develop or afford to bring in quality replacements.

See Barny today ? The heart of our pack beats at the Warriors.

Sky Daddy couldn't coach our lot to a Premiership.

Last season they all played to, and in many cases well above their potential in a rare purple patch.

I think I might be the only one that doesn’t actually think our main problems are down to the roster. Sure there’s a couple of changes I’d love to make (mainly replace DSaf with an enforcer/leader) but I think we need to accept that being a regional team, the current roster is probably close to the best we can do.

None of the reasons we lost on Thursday were talent related. It was lapses in defensive concentration, ruck control, not supporting the bloke with the ball. Throw in some poor game plan there too that doesn’t suit our players.

This same team has shown that they can play a lot better than they are now and win games. To remain consistent you need to have the same focus on the fundamentals week after week. That’s what we’re not doing, and that comes down to coaching and getting the side to be consistently reading from the same page.

Also Barnett was solid here but he wasn’t exactly a world beater. He’s stepped up his game with good coaching.

Woody90

Juniors
Well I really hope Coggers performances over the last few weeks have put to bed the "lOoK wHAt hE dID iN tHe GraND fInAL" bullsh#t the media and some fans were going on with pre and early season

Bloke is a career reserve grader

He’s going to get a free ride from AOB too when Gamble and Hastings got dropped for less because the coach will know how it will look if he changes halves again (although he 100% should).

Latest posts