What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R17 Sat - Penrith 20-12 Newcastle @ BlueBet

Round 17: Penrith v Newcastle

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Newcastle Knights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 17
Penrith Panthers v Newcastle Knights
BlueBet Stadium, Penrith / Dharug, Penrith (TICKETS)
Saturday 24 June 2023

Gates 12:30pm, NSW Cup 12:40pm (FOX), Jersey Flegg 3:30pm, NRL kickoff 5:30pm. Broadcast live on Fox League, Kayo Sports.

PEN2022TEAM.png

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Sunia Turuva 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To'o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Jack Cogger 8. Moses Leota 9. Mitch Kenny 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Scott Sorensen 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Soni Luke 15. Lindsay Smith 16. Spencer Leniu 17. Jaeman Salmon 18. Zac Hosking 19. Matt Eisenhuth 20. Luke Garner 21. Tyrone Peachey 22. Thomas Jenkins 23. Liam Henry 24. Jack Cole

Out: Tyrone Peachey (centre), Thomas Jenkins (wing), Zac Hosking (second row), Matt Eisenhuth (lock), Luke Garner (bench), Liam Henry (bench)
In: Stephen Crichton (centre), Brian To'o (wing), Jarome Luai (five-eighth), Moses Leota (front row), Liam Martin (second row), Isaah Yeo (lock)
Changes: Jaeman Salmon (five-eighth to bench), Spencer Leniu (front row to bench)

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Dominic Young 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Dylan Lucas 13. Adam Elliott 14. Kurt Mann 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker 18. Brodie Jones 19. Enari Tuala 20. Lachlan Miller 21. Jack Johns 22. Adam Clune

Out: Enari Tuala (wing), Lachlan Fitzgibbon (second row), Brodie Jones (bench)
In: Greg Marzhew (wing), Daniel Saifiti (front row), Tyson Frizell (second row)
Changes: Jacob Saifiti (front row to bench)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Ben Cummins
Sideline Officials: Chris Sutton, Damian Brady
Video Referee: Gerard Sutton

LOWER GRADES
Penrith^ v Newcastle^ at Bluebet, Sat - NSW Cup 12:40pm / Flegg 3:30pm​

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
The more the Knights lose by the better. Sick of AOB getting away with sugar coating all the loses because they’re close/on goal kicking, etc. Need some proper drubbings if we’re any chance of getting a change in coach.

mxlegend99

Referee
Knights would have to be a chance here. I cant see Ivan backing up any Origin players after the Cleary injury.

I expect the same side that lost to Cowboys or close to it will play.

Valheru

Coach
Penrith by whatever they want if they are close to full strength.

Penrith by 20 if they rest their players. We were missing half our team and still managed to beat Newcastle.

Fangs

Coach
Knights would have to be a chance here. I cant see Ivan backing up any Origin players after the Cleary injury.

I expect the same side that lost to Cowboys or close to it will play.

I expect the opposite.

Can't afford another loss at this point of the season. And its in line with how we approached Origin in 2022.

mxlegend99

Referee
I expect the opposite.

Can't afford another loss at this point of the season. And its in line with how we approached Origin in 2022.
Knights are beatable with the side that played Cowboys. It wouldn't be a guarantee obviously. But its a reasonable chance.

It's a gamble either way.

Fangs

Coach
Knights are beatable with the side that played Cowboys. It wouldn't be a guarantee obviously. But its a reasonable chance.

100% a gamble.

I'm of the opinion that no players should back up for any team. I'm surprised the players union don't make a bigger fuss over it. The turn around time plus the increased intensity of origin make injuries guaranteed. Case in point Nathan Cleary.

Black Panther

Juniors
100% a gamble.

I'm of the opinion that no players should back up for any team. I'm surprised the players union don't make a bigger fuss over it. The turn around time plus the increased intensity of origin make injuries guaranteed. Case in point Nathan Cleary.
Bottom line is, Origin players are supposed to be the best of the best and get paid extra to play Origin. They should all play for there clubs and give back to them since they are the ones investing so much money in them.

Black Panther

Juniors
Injuries can happen at training also, so that argument is irrelevant. Player fatigue can be managed be shorter minutes when coming back.

pantherz9103

First Grade
We need a couple to back up, I don’t trust plodders like Salmon, Peachy etc playing big minutes. The Knights nearly won in Brisbane and nearly beat us in Newcastle so not a team we can just expect to turn up and beat. A win is needed otherwise top 4 starts to become rather questionable.

Valheru

Coach

They are more than beatable, Penrith would still be comfortable favourites.

We are playing like shit and still managed to beat them away without Teddy, Collins, Smith, Radley, Sualli, Watson, Walker and Sitilli and Keary both going off before halftime.

Ivan should feel no fear in resting players here.

Fangs

Coach
Injuries can happen at training also, so that argument is irrelevant. Player fatigue can be managed be shorter minutes when coming back.

Big difference between managing training load and an NRL game.

It's not just a question of time, you cannot control the intensity of an NRL match as opposed to training. And if it is just about time then Nathan Cleary only needed 15 minutes to break down. Are we going to play To'o and Crichton for 10 minutes to manage their workload?

Either way it won't matter. I don't think Ivan Cleary will rest anyone unless they sustain an injury tomorrow night.

This Year?

Immortal
Panthers left edge looked a bit suspect, but it took the speed of Drinkwater to expose it.
I'm sure that bloke who coaches the Knights (I forgot who he is) could direct young Kalyn in that direction.