What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 5 vs St Geo Illa @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 5: Newcastle v St Geo Illa

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old dog

Bench
Are both Fitz and KPP out??????????
are we jumping to conclusions.
Understand we can ask/request replacements for players outside selected extended bench ——— but our side could still be:- Ponga, Gags, Lucas, Best, Tuala, Cogger, Hastings, JSaf, Brailey, Thompson, KPP/Cartwright, Croker, Elliott, along with Crosslands, DSaf, Hetherington, Cartwright/Jones with Jenkins 18.
Still a good side if both Fitz and KPP are out
Heres hoping

mozza91

Coach
Friz is definitely out but KPP is 50/50. Hopefully he’s right he’ll feel right at home with the weather on Friday.

Yosh

Coach
If Frizz is out but KPP plays, would love to see KPP play on the right. We need to get players sniffing around him every time he carries the ball, everyone and their aunties can see we need to be doing this bar AOB for some reason.

If Elliot keeps under performing, do we try Frizz down the middle?

Woody90

Juniors
good question overall his recruitment was a blunder, has to be better coming through or on the market. The odd good game isnt good enough

Bit harsh on Elliot IMO.

Took a while to find his feet with us last year after injury but once he found form he was pretty consistent and IMO his ball playing was one of the reasons we were attacking like we were end of last season.

There’s no doubt he hasn’t started this season well and his error rate has been high but I think also part of that is trying to do too much when the spine isn’t clicking.

Too early to make a call about whether his recruitment has been a net loss or gain IMO. He’s not an elite lock, but were any of us expecting that? He’s only on 460k per year.

Last edited:

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Bit harsh on Elliot IMO.

Took a while to find his feet with us last year after injury but once he found form he was pretty consistent and IMO his ball playing was one of the reasons we were attacking like we were end of last season.

There’s no doubt he hasn’t started this season well and his error rate has been high but I think also part of that is trying to do too much when the spine isn’t clicking.

Too early to make a call about whether his recruitment has been a net loss or gain IMO. He’s not an elite lock, but were any of us expecting that? He’s only on 460k per year.
I was going to say pretty much the same thing. I think his contributions to our attack during that 10 game streak last year are underrated. Will judge him properly once things start to click with our key playmakers, but so far in the 1 and a bit years sample size I think he’s been alright.

Knight Tales

Bench
Jenkins out and Lucas to centre and Gags to wing according to old mate (very reliable source) on the other forum. Very happy with this.
Lucas and Gagai has a load of potential. Equally happy as yourself over this one if it happens. Kai owns the left edge spot.

Old dog

Bench
Looks more like falling back to include Jenkins on wing, Gagai centre and Lucas replacing Friz. For mine it’s Gagai wing, Lucas centre and Cartwright for Frizell leaving Jenkins out. If KPP out then Jones to 17 with Croker starting

Yosh

Coach
Frizz being out is terrible but Jenkins being the squad is even more daunting...

Bit harsh on Elliot IMO.

oh I thought he was on fairly decent coin ( 600K a season ) to leave Canberra who also made him an offer.

For a team to be successful you need a good portion of the roster to be performing ABOVE their pay grade, I just dont think he's done that. DSaf is another.

Ponga is value for the money, Marz, Leo, Gags, Friz, Tuala, all perform to, or above their pay grade.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I feel like Saints always seem to beat us in a real stinker of a game. There’s been a few over the years where they’ve dragged us into a dog fight and we’ve fallen right into the trap.

The frustrating bit is we’ve got the team on paper to beat them but with all the rain that’s expected to fall tomorrow night I think the conditions will favour Saints turning it into another shit fight. I just hope that we manage to play a mature wet weather game but I’m not confident.