What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 6 vs Sydney @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 6: Newcastle v Sydney

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Roosters 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think I might be the only one that doesn’t actually think our main problems are down to the roster. Sure there’s a couple of changes I’d love to make (mainly replace DSaf with an enforcer/leader) but I think we need to accept that being a regional team, the current roster is probably close to the best we can do.

None of the reasons we lost on Thursday were talent related. It was lapses in defensive concentration, ruck control, not supporting the bloke with the ball. Throw in some poor game plan there too that doesn’t suit our players.

This same team has shown that they can play a lot better than they are now and win games. To remain consistent you need to have the same focus on the fundamentals week after week. That’s what we’re not doing, and that comes down to coaching and getting the side to be consistently reading from the same page.

Also Barnett was solid here but he wasn’t exactly a world beater. He’s stepped up his game with good coaching.
I can certainly see your point of view - but ..... A good portion of the Rorters sombrero were eating tacos in the stands, we were at home, and still couldnt get a win.

Barnett - dual Buderus Medal winner (?) I'd take a Barny over a Saf any day.

Half our spine is fringe first grade, and our lock is a bottom 8 player.

Last season painted over some long over due tough decisions on our roster. We need more Leo Thompson and less Dsaf in the pack, and spend the money getting some quality in our spine.

Without Ponga were are a bottom 8 side, perhaps bottom 4.

Old dog

Bench
I was sad to see Barnett go, thought he was an ideal 13 with Safs at 8 & 10 but it is what it is. he provided that aggression bordering on illegal which we needed, most if not all our pack are to quiet, to submissivr, we need someone firing them up, making them accountable, leading the charge, we are sadly missing that element

Rod

Bench
Well there goes the theory that Ponga always gets favourable Dally M treatment, 0 points. If Best and Radley were better than him on Thursday then I'm the Prime Minister.

Woody90

Juniors
I can certainly see your point of view - but ..... A good portion of the Rorters sombrero were eating tacos in the stands, we were at home, and still couldnt get a win.

Barnett - dual Buderus Medal winner (?) I'd take a Barny over a Saf any day.

Half our spine is fringe first grade, and our lock is a bottom 8 player.

Last season painted over some long over due tough decisions on our roster. We need more Leo Thompson and less Dsaf in the pack, and spend the money getting some quality in our spine.

Without Ponga were are a bottom 8 side, perhaps bottom 4.

Virtually the same side came 5th last year. Even without Ponga they beat Warriors and took Penrith to GP.

The roster isn’t the main problem. None of our losses this year have been down to lack of talent. It’s not doing the basic fundamentals right. Doesn’t matter who you pack into the squad, if you play one-out football, don’t support the ball runner and have slow line speed you’re not going to win many games.

don’t support the ball runner and have slow line speed you’re not going to win many games.
all the traits of good players, winners, things that shouldn't have to be coached at a professional level.

You know it, I know it, all people who watch the game know it. Why arent they doing it? that's the question.

Woody90

Juniors
There’s no way AOB will change the halves again for this game. He made a wrong call but will now stick with it as will be worried re backlash.

Should have just stuck with the halves from last year from the get go. There was a very small but extremely vocal collection of media and fans that wanted Cogger in the side and it only got louder when we lost our first 2. They’re now all silent. Didn’t help the Johns brother were on that bandwagon.

Woody90

Juniors
all the traits of good players, winners, things that shouldn't have to be coached at a professional level.

You know it, I know it, all people who watch the game know it. Why arent they doing it? that's the question.

Of course they should know it but I have to wonder how much attention it’s actually getting at training and in the game plan other than “oh yeah remember to have good line speed and support the ball runner”.

They seem to be being coached to take 5 hit ups and then a (average) bomb for some reason. Not surprising the support play is shit when it doesn’t seem like second phase play is being encouraged.

We showed last year that we can be a pretty good side when the game plan reflects the skills of the players. Little wonder we were a lot better at the small parts of the game when we were playing in a way suited the players.

Of course they should know it but I have to wonder how much attention it’s actually getting at training and in the game plan other than “oh yeah remember to have good line speed and support the ball runner”.

They seem to be being coached to take 5 hit ups and then a (average) bomb for some reason. Not surprising the support play is shit when it doesn’t seem like second phase play is being encouraged.

We showed last year that we can be a pretty good side when the game plan reflects the skills of the players. Little wonder we were a lot better at the small parts of the game when we were playing in a way suited the players.
considering we have a guy an attacking weapon in KP and a guy in KPP who looks like an offload gun the words "support the ball runner" should almost be the last words heard as they leave the change room.

Apey

Staff member
There’s no way AOB will change the halves again for this game. He made a wrong call but will now stick with it as will be worried re backlash.

Should have just stuck with the halves from last year from the get go. There was a very small but extremely vocal collection of media and fans that wanted Cogger in the side and it only got louder when we lost our first 2. They’re now all silent. Didn’t help the Johns brother were on that bandwagon.
Re-writing a bit of history here. Hastings was hopeless in the first two rounds and needed a stint in NSW Cup. Cogger was given a shot and was also awful. The problem was dropping Gamble for Cogger. That made literally no sense since if Cogger is anything, he's a 7. The problem now is how long is he going to persist with Cogger before Gamble gets back in.

Woody90

Juniors
Re-writing a bit of history here. Hastings was hopeless in the first two rounds and needed a stint in NSW Cup. Cogger was given a shot and was also awful. The problem was dropping Gamble for Cogger. That made literally no sense since if Cogger is anything, he's a 7. The problem now is how long is he going to persist with Cogger before Gamble gets back in.

The dropping Gamble for Cogger is what I was referring to when I said he made the wrong call.
I was supportive of Hastings being dropped. He was taking the piss and wouldn’t run or kick.

Saying that though, in hindsight I can’t help but wonder if we’d be in a better spot if we’d just left Hastings and Gamble together to build combinations.

Cogger’s going to get a bit of a free ride as I can’t see AOB changing them again anytime soon. I feel sorry for Gamble as he was simply the odd man out on the last round of musical halves. He offers more than Cogger.

Last edited:
The dropping Gamble for Cogger is what I was referring to.
I was supportive of Hastings being dropped. He was taking the piss and wouldn’t run or kick.

Cogger’s going to get a bit of a free ride as I can’t see AOB changing them again anytime soon. I feel sorry for Gamble as he was simply the odd man out on the last round of musical halves. He offers more than Cogger.
Why drop the half after a successful campaign the previous season, for a couple of games of below par? When the supposed leader of the pack and one of the highest paid players has been plodding along serving up crap for 2 years and get's picked regardless.

Confusing and mixed messaging to the playing group.

Woody90

Juniors
Why drop the half after a successful campaign the previous season, for a couple of games of below par? When the supposed leader of the pack and one of the highest paid players has been plodding along serving up crap for 2 years and get's picked regardless.

I’m now thinking this too. Although to be fair to AOB, at the time I was supportive of Hastings dropping as I thought he was playing injured and can’t carry a half that’s can’t kick or run.

Apey

Staff member

We don't have any forwards that can stand in for Saifiti. That's why they don't get dropped, there's no replacements. Also partly why I think they just cruise, they know it.

I’m now thinking this too. Although to be fair to AOB, at the time I was supportive of Hastings dropping as I thought he was playing injured and can’t carry a half that’s can’t kick or run.
Yeh most thought he might be a bit underdone, I think an experienced coach would have handled it better. AOB now looks like he's painted himself into a corner. Chop the halves again (although it has to happen).

We had a game plan last year of a power backline play, and making yardage out of our own end, to make up for a pack that lacks mongrel.

If the team were a car it would resemble a Ferrari with a mini moke engine under the hood.

Old dog

Bench
Can’t understand the thought that no suitable replacement allows DSaf to play and cruise. Drop him once to let him know he must perform.
Most likely Cup players are Cartwright and Jones, regularly named on ext bench surely one of them coming of the bench replacing JSaf or Leo for 20-30 mins would give as strong, doesn’t have to be better, a performance as DSaf meaning message sent and hopefully received loud and clear.
Wouldnt hurt Cartwright and Jones confidence either

Can’t understand the thought that no suitable replacement allows DSaf to play and cruise. Drop him once to let him know he must perform.
Most likely Cup players are Cartwright and Jones, regularly named on ext bench surely one of them coming of the bench replacing JSaf or Leo for 20-30 mins would give as strong, doesn’t have to be better, a performance as DSaf meaning message sent and hopefully received loud and clear.
Wouldnt hurt Cartwright and Jones confidence either
What's really needed is a player that has as a natural instinct to win, to be a leader, compete on every play, a leader that sets the standard and culture, and wants a Premiership so bad it burns.

What we dont need is a an experienced player that has to be dropped to get the message he needs to perform, particularly one that's eating a large part of the cap.

But yeh I'd drop him and tell him he's free to look elsewhere

Latest posts