What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 v NZW

Chins get the wins

First Grade
People saw the game reports and saw he scored heaps of tries in a wildy successful nsw cup team every weel and thought he was a gun...

In reality he's just a solid player.. in a avg team he doesn't offer much.

I said this all last year whilst most on here were singing his praises..

McLean brothers and daeon are the future... daeon goes unnoticed but he is very skilful, talented and has speed and height which is something we've missed on the wing
Solid is better than Peach. Let's see if the kid is worth keeping around

Girds89

Bench
All year? That's factually incorrect. Do better

Nah all year... even in the games we scored heaps I think he was 20% off his best...

On the weekend he wasn't even playing near 50%

Luai at least showed so signs on the weekend.

I have faith In luai and Nathan. They will turn it round.. whether we have the cattle to help them.is the issue

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Nah all year... even in the games we scored heaps I think he was 20% off his best...

On the weekend he wasn't even playing near 50%

Luai at least showed so signs on the weekend.

I have faith In luai and Nathan. They will turn it round.. whether we have the cattle to help them.is the issue
He has been at about 60% but that's also been 200% better than Luai in 2023

Girds89

Bench
Solid is better than Peach. Let's see if the kid is worth keeping around

Peachy has been better than him tho....

And that lies the issue with people like yourself..

You guys get the shits when players like Chris Smith (in the squad) or Peachy get promoted above Jenkins or or cole or another forward...

Yet they've been better than most in an avg nsw cup team..

I go back to wait I said earlier about turuva last year... he was knocking the door down every single week... he was too good for nsw cup... he demanded selection...

No one is showing that in cup atm. And that is concerning..

So people can bitch and moan all they like about Kenny and Luke and Peachy and eiso etc etc.... but the fact is they are the best options atm

Until someone starts knocking the door down every week than rookies don't just get rewarded just because...

It's not like our fg team is killing it and you can semi carry a rookie... all our games are going down to the wire every week...

Having the experience of a peach or a eiso or Chris Smith helps get in those games even if it's unnoticed things..

I'm all for promoting juniors but they have to earn it and actually be ready... at this stage none are... so yes picking a bloke like Peachy who might be past it isn't perfect future planing but he's not gunna lose us a game.. which he hasn't.. he's been solid.

Take cole for example.... has had some howlers in defence in cup... throw him in fg in a few of those tight games and we probs lose...

Like it or not the club unfortunately is playing the best players we have atm...

Matt Cameron needs to get his head out of his arse and actually look outside the club for a few gun kids

Last 3 years we have had it too good. Now in a few years time we might be back to the old ways. That's our biggest fear and how management have handled our recruitment. Someone at the club is getting paid too much if we couldn't afford at least 1 off Spencer, Api, Kikau.

Girds89

Bench
He has been at about 60% but that's also been 200% better than Luai in 2023

I stopped reading into your luai assessments when you began bagging him after Burton had played 3 nrl games...

All we heard on here was how Burton was going to be the greaters thing ever...

Fact is he's done stuff all in the 6... he has a nice bomb... that's it..

You've had it in for luai forever..

Luai has been poor this season I don't disagree..

But I truly believe there hasn't been mich between him and Nathan... you can throw in Ivan's coaching there too... poor from all 3..

If you think Nathan has been at 60%...
I'd say luai has been at 30%...

When you take into account Nathan is on almost double luais coin than there is stuff all in it...

Nathan has had some clutch moments which has made his game look better than what it actually is... some field goals have got him dally m points when in reality our attack has been a ramble and we've lacked direction and that comes back to the 7.

Honestly only blokes that get a pass mark for me to start the year would be the back 3...

People are kidding themselves having a crack a turuva...

Kids played like 10 games... been absolutely brilliant...

He makes 20 carries and 160m+ every week... never drops a ball under a bomb even though he gets kicked to every week non stop... he's good in defence for a tiny bloke...

I mean ffs you and others on here defended Staines for sooo sooo long and he was dishing up performances of 30m and no involvement...

Too Edwards and turuva can hold their heads high this year imo...

A lot of the others need a good gard look at themselves.

Nathan and luai been in all sorts...

Yeo looks like he's trying to hard to accommodate for Nathan and luai been avg

Fish came back looking unfit

Critta had had about 120mins of good footy total all season..... been pathetic for a lot of it...

That's why I don't get the Kenny and Luke and Peachy hate.... blokes on x5 or x10 the amount have been soo bad

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I stopped reading into your luai assessments when you began bagging him after Burton had played 3 nrl games...

All we heard on here was how Burton was going to be the greaters thing ever...

Fact is he's done stuff all in the 6... he has a nice bomb... that's it..

You've had it in for luai forever..

Luai has been poor this season I don't disagree..

But I truly believe there hasn't been mich between him and Nathan... you can throw in Ivan's coaching there too... poor from all 3..

If you think Nathan has been at 60%...
I'd say luai has been at 30%...

When you take into account Nathan is on almost double luais coin than there is stuff all in it...

Nathan has had some clutch moments which has made his game look better than what it actually is... some field goals have got him dally m points when in reality our attack has been a ramble and we've lacked direction and that comes back to the 7.

Honestly only blokes that get a pass mark for me to start the year would be the back 3...

People are kidding themselves having a crack a turuva...

Kids played like 10 games... been absolutely brilliant...

He makes 20 carries and 160m+ every week... never drops a ball under a bomb even though he gets kicked to every week non stop... he's good in defence for a tiny bloke...

I mean ffs you and others on here defended Staines for sooo sooo long and he was dishing up performances of 30m and no involvement...

Too Edwards and turuva can hold their heads high this year imo...

A lot of the others need a good gard look at themselves.

Nathan and luai been in all sorts...

Yeo looks like he's trying to hard to accommodate for Nathan and luai been avg

Fish came back looking unfit

Critta had had about 120mins of good footy total all season..... been pathetic for a lot of it...

That's why I don't get the Kenny and Luke and Peachy hate.... blokes on x5 or x10 the amount have been soo bad
I think Turuva had his worst game in first grade. I also think he's been pretty impressive and underused overall this year. We have such an attacking weapon doing nothing but grunt work.

Luai is a good player playing shit. Burton is better but that ship has long sailed and has nothing to do with how I'm rating his form

Last 3 years we have had it too good. Now in a few years time we might be back to the old ways. That's our biggest fear and how management have handled our recruitment. Someone at the club is getting paid too much if we couldn't afford at least 1 off Spencer, Api, Kikau.
Is that realistic? Look at Melbourne. They have an amazing spine where all the players would be on at least $800k. So let’s say they are on $3m total for the four (and to make the maths easy) let’s say the cap is $10m; that means the rest of the squad is on an average of an average of just over $250k. Look at the Storm roster; outside of the spine and a couple of quality forwards (Welch and NAS) very few names.

We are in a similar position. Nathan is on over a million and will be so for a number of years. We have benefits from Luai and Edwards being on cheap deals for the value they have been delivering, and the hooker position just being cheap, but we have a lot of cash invested into the grind (with Fish, Yeo, Martin and Moses in the pack and To’o on the wing, again all on long term deals).

We can debate who else we might have lost (and that is a valid debate) but given the quality that has developed in our squad over time we were always going to lose players; the club has given us all pretty clear guidance that we are going to lose 2 stars a year (Capewell and Burton, into Api and Kiks and then Spencer and Critta). It’s one of the reasons why I think we lose at least one of Edwards or Luai for 2025.

Girds89

Bench
I think Turuva had his worst game in first grade. I also think he's been pretty impressive and underused overall this year. We have such an attacking weapon doing nothing but grunt work.

Luai is a good player playing shit. Burton is better but that ship has long sailed and has nothing to do with how I'm rating his form

You've defended Nathan and blamed some injury that's barely been a mention from the club... he's been shit.. as has luai...

Yet you just hammer luai every week..

It's tough to read when other blokes aren't much better.

No one has made anything of fish this year but he's looked very poor..

For me the biggest issue is Ivan...

He is still trying to play panthers ball...

3 years straight of it and its been copied and worked out...

It'd be fine if we still had api and kiks but that ships sailed..

Yet Ivan hasn't developed at all... same style... same structures... same moves...

It's genuinely concerning how little he's developed our structures..

Ffs how hard would it be to get Spencer running off Nathan or luai close to the line off Nathan or luai

Black Magik

Juniors
We are 4th.

Edit; in this alternate universe the Titans could also jump us if they best Parra. So we would be behind the Fins and Tits, but with a game in hand.
Only the Dolphins are ahead of us with 6 wins. Penrith have a much better differential so are 4th.

Is that realistic? Look at Melbourne. They have an amazing spine where all the players would be on at least $800k. So let’s say they are on $3m total for the four (and to make the maths easy) let’s say the cap is $10m; that means the rest of the squad is on an average of an average of just over $250k. Look at the Storm roster; outside of the spine and a couple of quality forwards (Welch and NAS) very few names.

We are in a similar position. Nathan is on over a million and will be so for a number of years. We have benefits from Luai and Edwards being on cheap deals for the value they have been delivering, and the hooker position just being cheap, but we have a lot of cash invested into the grind (with Fish, Yeo, Martin and Moses in the pack and To’o on the wing, again all on long term deals).

We can debate who else we might have lost (and that is a valid debate) but given the quality that has developed in our squad over time we were always going to lose players; the club has given us all pretty clear guidance that we are going to lose 2 stars a year (Capewell and Burton, into Api and Kiks and then Spencer and Critta). It’s one of the reasons why I think we lose at least one of Edwards or Luai for 2025.
The Storm are in worse shape than us this year. Since Smith retired, it hasn't been the same for them.

WestyLife

First Grade
Daeon reminds me a lot of Xavier Coates.

Similar styles and athletic builds.

He's probs a 4 or 5 cms shorter than Coates and definitely not 108kgs haha.. but I think he'd be close to 190 tall and about 98kgs.. another 12 months and he will be 101/102kgs.. strong and fast and much taller than what we have atm.

I really think he's a good prospect.

Both the McLean boys have nrl written all over them.

Maybe we just are in a transition until this generation is ready.

Girds89

Bench
Maybe we just are in a transition until this generation is ready.

Mate, with the losses we see copping I truly think we need to try revolutionise the game again...

We did it with yeo and his ball playing in the 13...

I think over the next 12 months we probs need to try for something like that again...

I mean radical changes...

Tago to lock

Yeo to prop

McLean in, daeon in..

Edwards
Too
Mclean
Tiny
Daeon
Luai
Nath
Fish
.... anyone maybe simpkins
Yeo (can still ball play from prop role)
Martin
....... anyone of promise... (hosking is ok but he's just a solid nrl player)
Tago (cam Murray role in the 13... fast and direct up the guts against tired blokes.)

Leota
Smith
Sorensen
Iongi... (bring him on as a roving lock) would expect him to take hit ups but follow the ball every where looking for offloads.

I don't know what the answer is but panthers ball is done. We need to try new things...

That's been the most disappointing thing for me... nothing from Ivan suggests he's done anything to change our game or realise we aren't the same team..

Even his press conference on the weekend he seemed happy with the performance lol... off his head

Latest posts