What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Penrith

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately, that is not likely. Dragons are the first game on Thursday night. They will get hammered for some minor infringement again. On Friday the refs will realise that they went too far, so will back off for the rest of the round. It does get depressing! (Maybe I am being too pessimistic? )
Dragons + Referees = Pessimism

BLM01

First Grade
This is purely guesswork, but I’ve seen similar situations play out plenty of times.

Ref makes an obvious mistake. All of the refs in the ranks are aware of it. Management backs the ref publicly but internally puts out a statement about the incident and why it was incorrect. All of the other refs want to avoid the same mistake, and end up over cautious.

For me, the core of the issue is this: the refs train, and have tip sheets on players. Those tip sheets can include things along the lines of “Josh Kerr doesn’t play the ball with his foot” or “Jayden Sua hits playmakers late”.

The reasoning behind this for the referees is that they should be aware of the tendencies of players so that they can be aware and monitor for them. But I would argue that this creates an unconscious bias against the players that have been identified, and causes the refs to over police some players and miss others’ transgressions.

I honestly think the entire refereeing system needs an overhaul. New ways to train that don’t promote unconscious bias would be a great start, and moving on a certain family that holds too much power in the refs would also be a great move in my opinion.
"I honestly think the entire refereeing system needs an overhaul"
Yep, that says it all really.
I will go on to say including the use of the bunker and the MRC

BLM01

First Grade
And Barrett it seems after yesterday’s game. He does posess testicular undercarriage, something that was missing at our post-game interview.
The problem is Barrett has many on his side from the media as one of the favs as does his boss.
Hook does not and anything he says will be twisted into a negative to slap him back in the face with.

BLM01

First Grade
What happened to the play the ball properly they cracked down on in the first round?
I don’t recall seeing any penalties on the weekend
Another rule now watered down with the refs boss handing down their interpretation
Now it is good enough to look like you are trying to playing the ball. Thats the facts as confirmed by commentary.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
It's not often they get it right, but on NRL360 tonight it was agreed by all that Sua's tackle was not late, was not high, was certainly not deserving of a sin-binning and wasn't even worth a penalty. In another incident where Ben Hunt got hit late, if he had stayed down, he would probably got a penalty and the tackler would probably have been sin-binned, but Hunt didn’t stay down, so nothing happened. It does my head in!

BLM01

First Grade
It's not often they get it right, but on NRL360 tonight it was agreed by all that Sua's tackle was not late, was not high, was certainly not deserving of a sin-binning and wasn't even worth a penalty. In another incident where Ben Hunt got hit late, if he had stayed down, he would probably got a penalty and the tackler would probably have been sin-binned, but Hunt didn’t stay down, so nothing happened. It does my head in!
And of course Annesley goes its and individuals (officials) decsiion that can vary based on force
Waste of time his weekly review press conferences to hand selected 1-2 journos who dont ask any hard questions,
Who says the refs dont manage games. Annesley could not wait to bring the history Round 2 stat of how games have (or equal) to the lowest margin (i.e close games) for the past 20-25 years.
Makes it better for TV and viewers of course. Referees directed to avoid many blowouts?