What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 vs Souths

Jim Dragons

Juniors
The game has become soft redv13. Tackles around the legs used to be what is taught to you when you were a kid, ball and all tackles are taught to you as you are growing up (like Steve Rogers - who was great at this type of tackle), the list goes on. I've said it before - just play touch and then giggle tee hee!!
There is a simple solution. At the moment there is no reward for Legs tackles... but the time allowed for players to stand and dance in "catch & hold" tackles is a reward - hence coaches teach Catch & Hold. So reward Legs tackles...
I listen to sports ears at the ground... l am so over "dominant" tackles and "surrender" tackles. Also over players moving off the mark to play the ball and refs calling "marker not square"... So I suggest that they trial:
1) Rewarding Legs tackles with a "Legs" call and the player is given time to get to marker... if they take to long "Play On"...
2) No dominant or surrender tackles anymore. Surrender tackles actually stop wrestle and speed up the game (not that the game needs much more speed).
3) Players not rewarded for moving off the mark... stop play and send them back. If a player does it twice... final warning... then penalise the player (when a team looses the ball they will get the message quick enough).

The NRL could trial these rules in a few games coming up - West V Redc (R25); East V West (R26); Bull V Manly(R26); Manly V West (R27); GC V Bull (R27) all have no impact on top 8.

TruSaint

Referee
There is a simple solution. At the moment there is no reward for Legs tackles... but the time allowed for players to stand and dance in "catch & hold" tackles is a reward - hence coaches teach Catch & Hold. So reward Legs tackles...
I listen to sports ears at the ground... l am so over "dominant" tackles and "surrender" tackles. Also over players moving off the mark to play the ball and refs calling "marker not square"... So I suggest that they trial:
1) Rewarding Legs tackles with a "Legs" call and the player is given time to get to marker... if they take to long "Play On"...
2) No dominant or surrender tackles anymore. Surrender tackles actually stop wrestle and speed up the game (not that the game needs much more speed).
3) Players not rewarded for moving off the mark... stop play and send them back. If a player does it twice... final warning... then penalise the player (when a team looses the ball they will get the message quick enough).

The NRL could trial these rules in a few games coming up - West V Redc (R25); East V West (R26); Bull V Manly(R26); Manly V West (R27); GC V Bull (R27) all have no impact on top 8.

Well said Jim.

Some very sound ideas.