What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 v Canberra

Girds89

Bench
I know we just racked up 50 points and I shouldn't be complaining, but...

FMD Critta has been ordinary this year. Tonight he had a bad missed tackle early leading to a line break. Multiple penalties (and sin-binning). An error rucking it out of our own half. And didn't look interesting in doing any work with ball in hand.

Last week was the same. Just 5 runs, 2 penalties against. Add in that terrible intercept attempt against Brisbane that lead to a try.

Really bad signs IMO.
I said after last week's game he should've been dropped... got hammered from pillar to post.

Tonight only reaffirmed my thoughts..

He was disappointing again. Yeah he's try was solid but man other than that I didmt notice him...

It's embarrassing watching him point blokes like Edwards and too to take double runs in a set whilst he stands out on a wing.

Like I said last week if someone was going to pay half or more of his contract this year I'd be fine with him leaving early.

He needs to step up MASSIVLEY.

He's not a rookie anymore.

Tago is going to be twice the player he is

Girds89

Bench
The binning of criita was a joke...

Penalties and set restarts at the time was basically even.

I thought it was a poor call..

Normally you see that when it's 8-1 or 7-2 etc... but I think when that happened tonight it was 7-6 at the time in terms of penalties and set restarts...

Very very very far from one sided I'd say

Girds89

Bench
When we are full strength Ivan has some tough choices..

Soro imo has showed he can cover 2nd row despite what most think.

Peach has showed he can cover hooker...

Tough calls might have to be made.

One thing is certain and that is we 1000% took chances tonight... it wasn't panthers ball...

I think Ivan realised after parra and broncs panthers ball won't get it done...

We saw early kicks tonight... offloads... Dylan passing in our own end... risky plays etc...

No doubt Ivan has clued on... good on him.

Risky play is needed this year.. will have to cop the mistakes and back our defence.

I know we just racked up 50 points and I shouldn't be complaining, but...

FMD Critta has been ordinary this year. Tonight he had a bad missed tackle early leading to a line break. Multiple penalties (and sin-binning). An error rucking it out of our own half. And didn't look interesting in doing any work with ball in hand.

Last week was the same. Just 5 runs, 2 penalties against. Add in that terrible intercept attempt against Brisbane that lead to a try.

Really bad signs IMO.

Good and bad.

At least we didn’t give him a massive deal, ultimately that was the right call.

When we are full strength Ivan has some tough choices..

Soro imo has showed he can cover 2nd row despite what most think.

Peach has showed he can cover hooker...

Tough calls might have to be made.

One thing is certain and that is we 1000% took chances tonight... it wasn't panthers ball...

I think Ivan realised after parra and broncs panthers ball won't get it done...

We saw early kicks tonight... offloads... Dylan passing in our own end... risky plays etc...

No doubt Ivan has clued on... good on him.

Risky play is needed this year.. will have to cop the mistakes and back our defence.

Peach can cover hooker, but only if Soni Luke is our starting hooker. Which seems extremely unlikely.

That was to be one of the more enjoyable watches in a period in which there have been many many good ones. Just the whole thing. The rock solid defense in the first half, the smooth movement of our attack, the embarrassing moments for that grub Rapana, big big moments from virtually all the new guys, my boy Peachey bobbing up with a trademark try and then the gravy as the J-Man emphatically takes home the weak-gutted-dog cup with a try to move the score past 50. I can't stand Canberra and I had a very genuine cackle when the camera swung to that clown in their coaches box there.

Absolutely juicy, thank you footy gods for an unbelievable night.
I feel almost completely the same with the exception that my dislike for Canberra is almost completely focused on Stuart and Rapana…

WestyLife

First Grade
The binning of criita was a joke...

Penalties and set restarts at the time was basically even.

I thought it was a poor call..

Normally you see that when it's 8-1 or 7-2 etc... but I think when that happened tonight it was 7-6 at the time in terms of penalties and set restarts...

Very very very far from one sided I'd say

It was because of repeated infringements on the try line not number of infringements. Also the constant "I was totally right" every second comment is cringe.

maple_69

Bench
Nice to see us with some attacking fluency even if it was against a side that threw in the towel. Good match practice for our shapes and plays when we come up against a committed, rushing defence.

I liked Sorenson/Hosking as our edges. Sorro certainly went to another level moving into the middle but I think he carried that form across and offered a the footwork/offload/line running option. We have better middle depth we need to get game time also so I’m all for shifting him if he can consistently deliver that performance.

Moses has been better than Fish this year and through the finals last year. Man has hit his prime and is killing it.

MugaB

Coach
Think I was possibly the only person on the forums this year before a ball was kicked that wanted the peach in the 17 and soro training and playing on an edge.....

Soro did very well with limited ball tonight.. and the peach did what I knew he would....

Glad Ivan gave the boys the nod to throw it around.

Hoping fish is OK.

Great win.

Hope the weak gutted Stuart enjoyed
Nope Ive been advocating for sorro on the edge, and the peach to do a fill in job when nessesary (he has become our version of Canterburys josh reynolds)
Both guys did well enough for their first game in those positions, and that freed up nate, luai and edwards to attack, knowing the defense in certain areas were covered, i feel weve been holding back, coz the shortfalls in defence from garner on the left edge stopped luai from roaming in attack, where he was previously comfortable with kiks, doing any clean up work had that attack gone sour or sidways..

Hoskings played extremely well, him and martin will be the backrow going forward, i don't see garner bringing anything that salmon, sorro, peach or leniu cannot as far as bench spots... throw in kenny/luke and he has already dropped into 22th spot on the roster, just off tonights efforts, with lindsay smith, jack cogger and matt eisenhuth ahead of him

MugaB

Coach
Garner is ok. A few weeks back he could of had 2 tries. I see him as handy
You would perfect plodder for bea arthur to pick up next season, to strengthen that panthers connection of rejects out at pawwa... see you in the finals, i know you pawwa fans bought GF tix already

MugaB

Coach
Lindsay is just solid.

I personally don't think he's what we need.. but he did well filling a hole tonight with fish out.

With Spencer leaving I don't really think he's the role we need... but he will be an nrl player..

He's not really an impact guy.. he's a big minute solid guy.. m
My boy Leota is our impact player when leniu leaves...
His second stint absolutely killed them, he was carrying their forward pack with those solid straight bursts... i saw a few beneath his boot and a joey tapine (probably their best) get launched...
Leota is wasted as a starting prop, he deserves it, but his impact is immense

Iamback

Coach
My boy Leota is our impact player when leniu leaves...
His second stint absolutely killed them, he was carrying their forward pack with those solid straight bursts... i saw a few beneath his boot and a joey tapine (probably their best) get launched...
Leota is wasted as a starting prop, he deserves it, but his impact is immense

We signed Henry Long term who isn't a bench prop. Lindsay Smith particularly in defence is much better to start.

I'd be starting Leota off the bench if those 2 are in the rotation next year

Iamback

Coach
Nope Ive been advocating for sorro on the edge, and the peach to do a fill in job when nessesary (he has become our version of Canterburys josh reynolds)
Both guys did well enough for their first game in those positions, and that freed up nate, luai and edwards to attack, knowing the defense in certain areas were covered, i feel weve been holding back, coz the shortfalls in defence from garner on the left edge stopped luai from roaming in attack, where he was previously comfortable with kiks, doing any clean up work had that attack gone sour or sidways..

Hoskings played extremely well, him and martin will be the backrow going forward, i don't see garner bringing anything that salmon, sorro, peach or leniu cannot as far as bench spots... throw in kenny/luke and he has already dropped into 22th spot on the roster, just off tonights efforts, with lindsay smith, jack cogger and matt eisenhuth ahead of him

Garner is a better option for 30 mins off the bench than Salmon though. IF Ivan wants that player to play 30 mins each week then needs to be a forward that covers the backs.

I know Martin played a bit of left in 2021 but he was a middle before that, Not sure he'd free up the left as much as Sorensen did.

Maybe Hoskings can do the Sorro role off the bench

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Garner is a better option for 30 mins off the bench than Salmon though. IF Ivan wants that player to play 30 mins each week then needs to be a forward that covers the backs.

I know Martin played a bit of left in 2021 but he was a middle before that, Not sure he'd free up the left as much as Sorensen did.

Maybe Hoskings can do the Sorro role off the bench
Hosking is the right backrower 100% any other option would be worse

Latest posts