What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Raiders

Meth

Staff member
Webster has given clear communication who and what positions each player are vying for. For example RTS is a centre and is competing against the likes of Pompey and co. He will not get full back if Tuaupiki and Charnze are available. The same with Barnett. He will stay as a Prop as hes been playing that the past year and a bit. It's quite clear from Webster track record that he doesn't swap people out of position much. There are exceptions such as RTS moving to FB temporarily when Taine got HIA but hes still our centre.

I've heard those comments re RTS and CNK- but haven't seen anything to suggest, as you do, that its a blanket policy

right- but where is the Webster “I won’t play people out of position / people know their positions and who they’ll competing with” line coming from. I mean, Barnett is a second rower as much as he is a middle, but I just haven’t seen that news.

We’re short a top shelf middle and that’s important. But how many of our resources can we divert there? Like, Barnett, Niukore, Harris. Now we are left with Ford and Capewell, with neither looking very good right now.
Do you recall when the media were asking whether RTS is going to play fullback? He was clear that Roger is going to be our centre as Charnze is our fullback.

This is one of Webbys strengths. Clear communication and no mudding things up by swapping ppl in and out of position

This is why the team back Webby.

Imagine him swapping Barnett back to 2nd Row causing someone like Marata or one of our young guns to leave?

Meth

Staff member
Do you recall when the media were asking whether RTS is going to play fullback? He was clear that Roger is going to be our centre as Charnze is our fullback.

Yes, as I said, I remember that. But I haven't heard anything like you claim- that he's told the players what position they are, who they're competing with and ruled out them playing any other position. If there is evidence of this, please show it. Otherwise, it just seems you've extrapolated it oddly from this one example.

Meth

Staff member
I mean, there aren't a heap of players who are versatile enough to play "out of position", but Barnett is definitely one of them.

https://www.zerotackle.com/webster-reveals-warriors-recruits-given-new-positions-127233/ (from 2023)

"I think Barny (Mitch Barnett) will play both (second row and lock). He's versatile, he's done both, and when you have that versatility, it gives you an edge as a team.

“He can play hard and lock off the middle and also play on an edge and be calm and comfortable. He brings us great depth.”

But we did see him. The best part of his career was late 2022/early 2023 after he was brought back into the team months after that ANZAC game and played 17 consecutive games (scoring 12 tries) before getting injured last year. Not sure why we’re now bringing up the ANZAC game 2 years later?
Im bringing it up cos there was a suggestion he get a run ahead of Montoya.

Personally i NEVER want to see him in 1st grade again becos of that

By that logic, we'd have persisted with Cooper Vuna after Vatuvei had his clanger versus Parra.

ok ok I know that this isn't directly comparable. But I guess what I'm saying is that you can't write a bloke off after one game. From memory, he came back and played well against the Storm last year.

Manu had shit hands that night but certainly didnt drop nuts and give up.

Kosi did

I've heard those comments re RTS and CNK- but haven't seen anything to suggest, as you do, that its a blanket policy

I believe the majority of players are competing for positions within their respective groups - forwards against forwards and backs against backs - with the exception of the spine players, namely SJ, CNK, Egan, AFB, and Tohu.

Dead right..Webb being solid only strengthen the team..

A confused coach (and we've had a few) only creates a confused team,,

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head. Having a guy like Webb truly bolsters the team's cohesion and stability. A clear and decisive coach sets the tone for a focused and united team, avoiding the pitfalls of confusion that can arise with indecisiveness. Here's to continued strength and clarity in our team's leadership

Niukore has been earmarked to play in the middle. That's well known

Yes, Niukore's proficiency in this area is widely acknowledged. I actually posted about this last year. Barnett's position switch was a strategic move to address our shortage of NRL-ready front rowers. It's particularly sensible, especially with AFB departing; we'll undoubtedly require more size upfront.

I mean, there aren't a heap of players who are versatile enough to play "out of position", but Barnett is definitely one of them.

https://www.zerotackle.com/webster-reveals-warriors-recruits-given-new-positions-127233/ (from 2023)

"I think Barny (Mitch Barnett) will play both (second row and lock). He's versatile, he's done both, and when you have that versatility, it gives you an edge as a team.

“He can play hard and lock off the middle and also play on an edge and be calm and comfortable. He brings us great depth.”

Barnett displays versatility, yet he may not be the optimal fit for all roles. While he's currently performing adequately as a Prop and showing promising development, I doubt Webby will impede his progress following a year of solid growth.

Meth

Staff member
I believe the majority of players are competing for positions within their respective groups - forwards against forwards and backs against backs - with the exception of the spine players, namely SJ, CNK, Egan, AFB, and Tohu.

Right- so it’s confirmed that you’ve just spuriously projected this all on to Webster, extrapolating it from him picking CNK at fullback over RTS (who, by the way, he is on record as saying that he just no longer sees as a fullback)

AFB and Harris aren’t spine players btw

I think Webby's too smart to lock someone into a position and not stay open minded about moving them if he has to.

Marata's a good example. Yes, Webby's indicated he'd primarily play middle but he also said after the second trial - when Marata spent scored his try from his customary right edge - that he'd spent the off season training for both roles from the bench.

And if say, Ford has an average run, any smart coach will look at his options and Marata would be an obvious one to shift spots in that situation.

Right- so it’s confirmed that you’ve just spuriously projected this all on to Webster, extrapolating it from him picking CNK at fullback over RTS (who, by the way, he is on record as saying that he just no longer sees as a fullback)

AFB and Harris aren’t spine players btw

Webster's coaching record underscores this aspect, ingrained in his mantra, which fosters trust among players on our team.

While AFB and Harris may not occupy traditional spine positions, they epitomize our spine, crucial for maintaining our shape and driving us forward.

The coach remains steadfast in retaining Barnett in his current position, only considering changes under unavoidable circumstances such as injuries or loss of form.

I think Webby's too smart to lock someone into a position and not stay open minded about moving them if he has to.

Marata's a good example. Yes, Webby's indicated he'd primarily play middle but he also said after the second trial - when Marata spent scored his try from his customary right edge - that he'd spent the off season training for both roles from the bench.

And if say, Ford has an average run, any smart coach will look at his options and Marata would be an obvious one to shift spots in that situation.

Webby's astute understanding is evident. While it's plausible to interchange players within the forwards and backs, the challenge lies in our lack of front row depth to substitute Barnett should he transition to the second row. The anticipated rotation for 2025 would likely involve Marata, Barnett, Afoa, Ale, and the promising Mau'u, unless additional signings are secured.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Personally i NEVER want to see him in 1st grade again becos of that

I get that you don't want him in the team but it still seems like a non sequitur to say "I never want him in the team again" when he's already played 18 games since the thing you're referring to and only ended up out of the team again due to injury. The horse you're talking about bolted 2 years ago.

Webby's astute understanding is evident. While it's plausible to interchange players within the forwards and backs, the challenge lies in our lack of front row depth to substitute Barnett should he transition to the second row. The anticipated rotation for 2025 would likely involve Marata, Barnett, Afoa, Ale, and the promising Mau'u, unless additional signings are secured.
I'm not following.

From what I could tell, your earlier post implied that Webby wouldn't change players around. Others, including me, suggest that's not quite right, that Webby would make changes if he had to (like any good coach).

I used Marata as an example, not just because of his complementary skill set, but based on how he actually played in the second trial and Webby's own comments afterwards. I'd also note Roger played FB in the second half of the Dolphins trial, and it wasn't HIA or injury prompted.

That would imply that Webby is prepared to make positional changes if needed, and he's actually prepared for it.

Your last post above confuses me though.

I'm not following.

From what I could tell, your earlier post implied that Webby wouldn't change players around. Others, including me, suggest that's not quite right, that Webby would make changes if he had to (like any good coach).

I used Marata as an example, not just because of his complementary skill set, but based on how he actually played in the second trial and Webby's own comments afterwards. I'd also note Roger played FB in the second half of the Dolphins trial, and it wasn't HIA or injury prompted.

That would imply that Webby is prepared to make positional changes if needed, and he's actually prepared for it.

What I was trying to convey is that Webby typically wouldn't reposition a player unless it was absolutely necessary. In this thread where we've shared our lists, I noticed Meth had Barnett listed in the second row, likely due to his evident disapproval of Ford. However, Webby wouldn't likely switch Barnett's position solely based on a few errors. Moreover, he wouldn't impede Barnett's progress as a prop, especially considering the current shortage of front-row options.

It's pretty obvious that any coach could be forced to drop / move a player if required (Injuries/Form)

What I was trying to convey is that Webby typically wouldn't reposition a player unless it was absolutely necessary. In this thread where we've shared our lists, I noticed Meth had Barnett listed in the second row, likely due to his evident disapproval of Ford. However, Webby wouldn't likely switch Barnett's position solely based on a few errors. Moreover, he wouldn't impede Barnett's progress as a prop, especially considering the current shortage of front-row options.

It's pretty obvious that any coach could be forced to drop / move a player if required (Injuries/Form)
In that case I think we all agree on that.

Where we got sidetracked was from your earlier statement which suggested Webby was locked in regardless of form.

Andrew Webster will never change people out of position as he has stated this from the get go.

But all that aside... I hope Webby is watching Ford closely, not just his own personal performances but for how the left edge is combining. There's too much attacking potential between RTS and Metcalf on that side to have a clunky (albeit hardworking) backrower stifling their efforts.

Starting Marata on the right edge and shifting Capewell back to his usual left side has gotta be an option at some point if things dont click.

Meth

Staff member
I'm not following.

basically, and traditionally, he’s talking shit