What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team v Storm

Leber

Bench
Berry is a fullback who we tried to turn into a centre and it hasn't worked. Long way down the pecking order now.

If I were him I'd be asking for a release to go to a club that needs fullback depth.

Blair

Coach
So much for the Anzac Spirit. Did anyone else in NSW see the big, front page, splash in the Daily Telegraph today?

So, there's me, a day off, wearing my Warriors top in the Coles Plaza. A woman went to the newspaper stand and bought her daily tabloid fix. She looks at the front page, looks at my Warriors top, looks back down at the front page, then back up at me in disgust.

The front page? 'Albanese gives Kiwi Sex Offenders and Drug Traffickers a free pass'.

So tonight I've just toasted News Ltd for a job well done!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So much for the Anzac Spirit. Did anyone else in NSW see the big, front page, splash in the Daily Telegraph today?

So, there's me, a day off, wearing my Warriors top in the Coles Plaza. A woman went to the newspaper stand and bought her daily tabloid fix. She looks at the front page, looks at my Warriors top, looks back down at the front page, then back up at me in disgust.

The front page? 'Albanese gives Kiwi Sex Offenders and Drug Traffickers a free pass'.

So tonight I've just toasted News Ltd for a job well done!
Nothing on the website about it, I assume Albo is doing the decent thing and is going to stop deporting people who’ve been in Australia since they were 2 years old?

Blair

Coach
Nothing on the website about it, I assume Albo is doing the decent thing and is going to stop deporting people who’ve been in Australia since they were 2 years old?
That's it, taking each potential deportee case-by-case. If someone arrived in Australia as an infant, then under the previous government had their visa cancelled at aged 33, then they'll probably stay here in Oz now.

The Daily Telegraph can't handle that.

nswarrior

Juniors
That's it, taking each potential deportee case-by-case. If someone arrived in Australia as an infant, then under the previous government had their visa cancelled at aged 33, then they'll probably stay here in Oz now.

The Daily Telegraph can't handle that.
Remember the Daily Telegraph and News Limited (Murdochs) are promoting right wing nutters around the world. They are trying to slowly undermine Albanese who is still quite popular.

They haven’t succeeded in undermining Dan Andrews from Victoria as more of the public can see through their bullshit

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Remember the Daily Telegraph and News Limited (Murdochs) are promoting right wing nutters around the world. They are trying to slowly undermine Albanese who is still quite popular.

They haven’t succeeded in undermining Dan Andrews from Victoria as more of the public can see through their bullshit
It actually been heartening to see that they’ve completely failed at their attempts to white-ant Albo so far. Probably helped by how pathetic Peter Dutton is as opposition.

Blair

Coach
It actually been heartening to see that they’ve completely failed at their attempts to white-ant Albo so far. Probably helped by how pathetic Peter Dutton is as opposition.
The pre-game ceremony on Tuesday night (let's not completely hijack the thread, I can feel Meth growling) will have added emotion now that Albo has righted the nasty wrong from 2001. This is when the Howard Government reduced Kiwis from permanent to temporary residents, and thus forever blocked most of them from the benefits of gaining citizenship.

From July 1st that changes back to what it was in the '90s, when I arrived here.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The pre-game ceremony on Tuesday night (let's not completely hijack the thread, I can feel Meth growling) will have added emotion now that Albo has righted the nasty wrong from 2001. This is when the Howard Government reduced Kiwis from permanent to temporary residents, and thus forever blocked most of them from the benefits of gaining citizenship.

From July 1st that changes back to what it was in the '90s, when I arrived here.

I got here in 2002 so have been on the wrong end of that. Was worse before 2015 or thereabouts when Turnbull and Key agreed on a pathway to citizenship for kiwis, before that I didn’t even qualify for residency or citizenship no matter how long I’d been here. Was a point around 2012 when I was out of work and running out of money where I was probably only a month or two off having to sell up and move back to NZ because I had no access to benefits or anything here, thankfully my fortunes have well and truly turned around since then.
have been eligible for permanent residency based on my income for the last few years but hadn’t got around to applying as it’s still a pretty expensive process, guess I’ll now finally do it and become a dual citizen

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
I got here in 2002 so have been on the wrong end of that. Was worse before 2015 or thereabouts when Turnbull and Key agreed on a pathway to citizenship for kiwis, before that I didn’t even qualify for residency or citizenship no matter how long I’d been here. Was a point around 2012 when I was out of work and running out of money where I was probably only a month or two off having to sell up and move back to NZ because I had no access to benefits or anything here, thankfully my fortunes have well and truly turned around since then.
Good one, my brother was in the same boat. Arrived in 2002, worked for 21 years in Sydney, including as an essential worker during the pandemic, he didn't qualify for that Turnbull concession (for wealthier Kiwis) either.

I actually had some anxiety worrying about his predicament. It's been such a long road for this fair-go to come back. I'm misty-eyed at the anthems on Tuesday night.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Good one, my brother was in the same boat. Arrived in 2002, worked for 21 years in Sydney, including as an essential worker during the pandemic, he didn't qualify for that Turnbull concession (for wealthier Kiwis) either.

I actually had some anxiety worrying about his predicament. It's been such a long road for this fair-go to come back. I'm misty-eyed at the anthems on Tuesday night.
Yeah it has and it’s especially good for people in his spot. But even for those of us who met the income threshold it’s now a lot cheaper and easier by the sound of it. Was going to cost me about $4K before. And a lot of people slipped through the cracks.

have been eligible for permanent residency based on my income for the last few years but hadn’t got around to applying as it’s still a pretty expensive process, guess I’ll now finally do it and become a dual citizen
Got here 2004, Aussie wife and kids.
In 2008 looked at it, $2200 for visa, 2015 it was around $4000, dropped into $2000s with income test. Now it will just be the citizenship fee.
Helps a lot with my short arms and long pockets!:smiley:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Got here 2004, Aussie wife and kids.
In 2008 looked at it, $2200 for visa, 2015 it was around $4000, dropped into $2000s with income test. Now it will just be the citizenship fee.
Helps a lot with my short arms and long pockets!:smiley:
Ha, considering I’ve paid the price of a decent sized mortgage in taxes into this country and no doubt you’re similar, I reckon it’s the least they can do for us!

Latest posts