What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telegraph: 8 Saints for Roo Squad

wittyfan

Referee
CyberKev said:
May have had something to do with him only playing the game to begin with as a late replacement for Mini who was wearing a one-match suspension :roll:

Incorrect. Minichiello was oriiginally selected on the wing before that phone call.

jimmy_pop

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
Excellent, we go from 12th to Minor Premiers and only get an extra player in the tri-nations squad, and he was already an international when we bought him!

Grothe is the best winger in the game at the moment, but won't make it

Riddell is better than Young (cue Dragons supporters telling me how wrong I am) and plays the same positions but he won't even be considered

Morrison has been a HUGE part of our resurgence, but won't even be looked at

Widders is the best benchie in the game, he can cover centre/five-eighth/lock/second row but won't even be looked.

I could go on all day listing Tigers players who deserve a spot but won't even be looked at aswell.

Meanwhile every Dragon that wants a shot gets one, that's a joke. That's exactly why I wouldn't piss on McCarthy if he was on fire, he's a jerk and needs to go.

Is that Bob MCCarthy?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Geez its like Dragons have already won the comp. The only players I'd pick out of the Dragons are Bailey, Gasnier, Ryles and maybe Dean Young.

smeghead

Bench
In the end I dont really care any more. Australian selectors will do what they will. Good luck to them. I am sure these problems arise in any sport with national representation.
I am just happy that my club side has done so well this year. Rep honours would be nice for some but meh, it wont happen

Jono078

Referee
Hornby - What a joke if he makes it, mr overated imo.
Young and Creagh - Pretty much their first full season and are already considered, geez..

If Creagh can get mentioned, why not Clint Newton? One of the best backrowers this year going by stats.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I have no problems if the 8 mentioned in the article make the tour, remember the article only said that they may, this would be based on the Dragons winning the comp.. Hornby can play lock, half, 5/8 and Fullback easily, deserves to go imo. Creagh deserves to go over Fitzgibbon and Young is a better player than Riddell.. No arguments from me..

borat

Bench
Any player selected who is not considered in the top 17 should be a utility player. There is no point taking 4 halfbacks and 7 fullbacks. In a squad of 23 that leaves you with 6 others to cover every position on the field.

The facts are that Riddell is a damn good hooker but is a terrible 2nd rower. This is why Young is and will be prefered to him. Even if the dragons don't make the GF I still expect Young to be selected.

There is no room in the squad for a backup fullback who can't play any other position. If Hodgson can't break into the starting team he shouldn't tour. Hornby has to be the best utility player in the comp.

Glen

Bench
Why would they put someone like Creagh on the Aussie bench when Widders would have 10 times the impact coming on. Oh because Creagh usually starts for the Dragons? Makes a lot of sense :roll:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think people are reading too much into the article, and Hurriflatch, Daley isn't the selector (as has been said). I think you'll find Bennett is the fella you should be petitioning. As a coach he has always had a major say in who plays.

Also, playing in the grand final isn't the be all and end all of selection. In 1993 Saints made the grand final but not one player made the Kangaroo squad. What comes around, comes around again.

Its based on a number of factors including consistency throughout the year, the key positions to be complimented, and injuries. And yeah sure, the old boys club plays a part too. Its all part of a big mix.

The article isn't saying anything conclusive and quite frankly, there's no great advantage to the club if all those players are selected. Sure, good luck to the players and there's experience to be gained. But there's also the inevitable injuries and the potential strain it can cause on the club's salary cap.

Mr Saab

Referee
Willow said:
I
Also, playing in the grand final isn't the be all and end all of selection. In 1993 Saints made the grand final but not one player made the Kangaroo squad. What comes around, comes around again.

the was no tour in 1993.
The tour was 1994. 7 raiders made the tour as a result of winning (6 would have made it anyway, the 7th David Furner, made it because of his outstanding finals series) the GF.

1994 was the last of the true roo tours.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
8 players?? geesh i don't what the dragons have done to justify that sort of contingent. If they miss the GF you would have to say they are the most overrated team of the modern era.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Charlie Saab said:
the was no tour in 1993.
The tour was 1994. 7 raiders made the tour as a result of winning (6 would have made it anyway, the 7th David Furner, made it because of his outstanding finals series) the GF.

1994 was the last of the true roo tours.
I stand corrected Charlie - it wasn't a Kangaroo tour.
Might have been the home Test match, World Cup or perhaps a NZ tour. It was after one of the GFs in 1992 or 93 when the Australian team was announced. I recall there was some disapppointment as to how a team could make the grand final but have no national representation.
You're right about 1994.

Mr Saab

Referee
there was a world cup in 1992, not sure how many (if any) made that squad.

not sure if they was a test series at the end of 1993. There was one mid season with NZ. One was a 16 (maybe 14) all draw. Mal missed that test as a captain as a result of a suspension. Laurie took over that game as captain.

Godz Illa

Coach
Charlie Saab said:
there was a world cup in 1992, not sure how many (if any) made that squad.
Zero Dragons. Brad Godden was chosen ahead of Mick Potter - grand final fullback, Dally M player of the year in 91, Dally M fullback of the year in 91 and 92. If anyone can empathise with the plight of Brett Hodgson, then Mick Potter and Saints fans can.

Latest posts