What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R22 Sat - Canberra 6-28 Newcastle @ GIO

Round 22: Canberra v Newcastle

• Canberra Raiders

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Newcastle Knights

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 22
Canberra Raiders v Newcastle Knights
GIO Stadium Canberra, Bruce / Ngunnawal, Bruce (TICKETS)
Saturday 29 July 2023

Gates open 12:30pm
NRLW (Raiders v Roosters) 12:50pm
NRL kickoff 3pm
Broadcast live on Fox League, Kayo Sports.

CAN2023TEAM.png

1. Sebastian Kris 2. Albert Hopoate 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Matthew Timoko 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Jack Wighton 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Josh Papali'i 9. Zac Woolford 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Corey Horsburgh 14. Tom Starling 15. Emre Guler 16. Pasami Saulo 17. Ata Mariota 18. Nick Cotric 19. Matt Frawley 20. Trey Mooney 21. Ethan Strange 22. Utuloa Asouma

Unchanged

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Dominic Young 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Jacob Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Adam Elliott 14. Kurt Mann 15. Brodie Jones 16. Jack Hetherington 17. Mathew Croker 18. Dylan Lucas 19. Enari Tuala 20. Simi Sasagi 21. Lachlan Miller 22. Jack Johns

Out: Daniel Saifiti (front row)
In: Brodie Jones (bench)
Changes: Jacob Saifiti (bench to front row)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Adam Gee
Sideline Officials: Jon Stone, Belinda Sharpe
Video Referee: Grant Atkins

STATE LEAGUES
NSW Cup: Canberra v Newcastle at Belconnen, Sun 3pm​

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
Flip a coin. Knights can play a much better brand of football than the Raiders but Raiders have been great at getting the tight wins where Knights lose a lot of close games.

Raiders in a tight one simply because it’s in Canberra…but being a day game will help Knights.

Apey

Staff member
When was the last time both these teams were actually decent when they were played each other? Could this actually be a good game?

This Year?

Immortal
Knights haven't done anything wacky for a while. Maybe they are saving it for this game.
Should be a great game for the LU community.

Valheru

Coach
Hoping this game day thread can reach the heights of the old days.
Do the Raiders fans on here still have a ridiculous amount of hate for us?

What is the actual history of that hate? Is it an LU thing or do the wider raiders fanbase have some bizarre hatred for the knights?

mozza91

Coach
What is the actual history of that hate? Is it an LU thing or do the wider raiders fanbase have some bizarre hatred for the knights?
I think it was just 3 or 4 posters who were Canberra fans who had unnatural amounts of hatred for Newcastle. I don’t think it was reciprocal but Knights fans would fire back in the threads.

Bring back the hate I say.

skeepe

Immortal
I think it was just 3 or 4 posters who were Canberra fans who had unnatural amounts of hatred for Newcastle. I don’t think it was reciprocal but Knights fans would fire back in the threads.

Bring back the hate I say.
Don’t try to rewrite history here. It was started by a salty Newcastle fan (I believe called RedAndBlueKnight) who didn’t like my accurate descriptions of the hillbillies and the disgusting, dirty city that they live in, and a team that literally personifies evil.

nick87

Coach
When was the last time both these teams were actually decent when they were played each other? Could this actually be a good game?
Friend im here to tell you that neither of these football teams are decent.

As for the hate, it very much went both ways haha. Mostly it stemmed around both fan based heavily over-rating their juniors. But on that front the Mullen vs Carney debate, which was at the heart and soul of it... was unfortunately a comprehensive victory for Ricky's Raiders. Carney shat on Mullen as player from significant heights.
Not that it helped the Raiders one iota, the only time he got his act cleaned up enough to be his best he was playing for the f**king roosters

Both fan bases have a healthy dose of self deprecation these days. We know who we are. Both know they're trash and with little light at the end of the tunnel, we're just trying to get as many laughs as we can along the way.

Last edited:

gerg

Juniors
Does it get any b . e . t . t . e . r than this?
Saturday afternoon footy at the coldest shithole on earth.
Better rivals with two wheelbarrows of shit-talking posters.
The rivalry is illogical, nobody knows really what kick-sharted the hatred?
The steel city versus the public servants, whichever way you spin it both sets of supporters are bald. Yul Brenner, Patrick Stewart, Dwayne the Rock Johnson, Bruce Willis ... yep you guessed it, all bald.
But we're not just talking bald here, we're talking Brad Arthur bald.
Cast your minds back. David Barnhill, bald. Josh Hodgson, bald. Blake Ferguson, bald. Adam McDougall, bald. And the man so bald he played for both these merkins, Ben Kennedy. But Raiders have the bald edge. Knights have the merkin edge - with Johns and John's and Gids. And modern day merkin Ponga.
It's only fitting that when these two bald sides come together the fans turn into dribbling lunatics.
And long may it continue.
How did it begin, this hatred? Was it Joey giving it to Finch?
Was it Rogers trying to knee Vidots face off while his teammates held Vidot back?
Or is it just because both sides are shit? Yep, they're both shit. We all know it, but the players don't.
So the battle lines are drawn. Two shit teams playing for a finals berth, so they can be trounced by a good side.
At the end of it all, nobody will care. How good is diss?