What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game day - Panther v Warriors (Gameday)

Warriors accident offside captains challenge.

20230910_080904.jpg
Ford below the ball and Martin's arm above his shoulder.
20230910_081052.jpg
This shot shows the trajectory the ball is closest to Martin's shoulder and previous shot shows Ford's below Martin's arm.
20230910_081357.jpg
Quick fade away before the angle that shows it even more clearly ball touching Martin's arm.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Warriors accident offside captains challenge.

Ford below the ball and Martin's arm above his shoulder.

This shot shows the trajectory the ball is closest to Martin's shoulder and previous shot shows Fors below Martin's arm.

Quick fade away before the angle that shows it even more clearly ball touching Martin's arm.
That's what I said before, the lackadaisical way they investigated both incidents - and for me, Turuva's first try and staying in touch (although that might've been clear cut, never got to see) - was just so indicative of a side being favoured. I'm never the guy that says this, I hate pinpointing referees and I certainly have never been a big one to suggest bias.

But they looked f**k all at the To'o try and there was doubt. I don't care if it is a try because it's clear-cut enough or there is doubt and they support the on-field decision, but for the first try in a final, look at the bloody thing. And there was no doubt that Martin touched that bomb. None. I would bet my house, my wife, my kids on it. But the gutless Bunker official went with his mate's call, which probably not co-incidentally went to Penrith. When it was confirmed unsuccessful, I knew they'd score. That really f**ked me off.

It won't get addressed, because Penrith are the golden boys, we weren't really in the contest, Webster would never pinpoint that (although his face at the time said he didn't agree with it, on the Martin one) etc. I really hope we get a better shake at it than we did yesterday for the rest of the finals.

That's what I said before, the lackadaisical way they investigated both incidents - and for me, Turuva's first try and staying in touch (although that might've been clear cut, never got to see) - was just so indicative of a side being favoured. I'm never the guy that says this, I hate pinpointing referees and I certainly have never been a big one to suggest bias.

But they looked f**k all at the To'o try and there was doubt. I don't care if it is a try because it's clear-cut enough or there is doubt and they support the on-field decision, but for the first try in a final, look at the bloody thing. And there was no doubt that Martin touched that bomb. None. I would bet my house, my wife, my kids on it. But the gutless Bunker official went with his mate's call, which probably not co-incidentally went to Penrith. When it was confirmed unsuccessful, I knew they'd score. That really f**ked me off.

It won't get addressed, because Penrith are the golden boys, we weren't really in the contest, Webster would never pinpoint that (although his face at the time said he didn't agree with it, on the Martin one) etc. I really hope we get a better shake at it than we did yesterday for the rest of the finals.
I looked at Turuva's 1st try and he was in, ball down before elbow down close to touch in goal posts. But mm in it, like you said not even looked at.
Watched channel 9 coverage live, that seemed to have heavy Panthers bias and guess it was nearly the only full game of Warriors they all watched (they thought RTS returning to fullback), went back to Fox/Kayo this morning and Vossy had our back a little more on 1st try doubt and all agreed that Martin knocked it on, even Ennis.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah, the stats tell the story. Harris did run for 113, but no one else was over 70 (not including Egan). Barnett 10 runs at 69m, for your starting prop that is woeful.

On reflection, that performance was always coming. We've been winning but scratchily v average sides, had the Dolphins momentum halter, a lot of players had the week off, SJ out, it all pointed to a disjointed performance coming - especially against the might of Penrith. And we were never going to win with those halves. No pace, little creativity, and the kicking game just gifted the Panthers field position in that ultra-important first half to get the ascendancy.

The most frustrating things were the stupid errors and the fact we seemingly lapsed in trusting our defensive systems at times and the guys next to us. Montoya's early drop was a scene setter. Jackson Ford's crazy flicked off-load off the deck when we'd just got the ball back (Jazz almost decked him). Berry failing to even watch a bomb in flight. Egan's forward pass from dummy half.
All those numbers come from one thing, possession. Panthers make very few errors, miss very few tackles and get repeat sets. That forces mistakes, the position stats get lopsided and without the ball you can only do one thing, tackle. No metres, no line breaks, no points.

nswarrior

Juniors
These were the things Webby and the team could control but was hard to understand:

- our bench was small, why Lussick and Sirro both on bench
- why don’t we contest the ball when we kick it high near the opposition try line. Barry got to the ball a couple of times and just stood and watched the Panthers winger take the ball before tackling him
- could we have tried more offloads although that could have increased the errors
- did Webby want to save Volkman confidence as we missed a kicker badly

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
These were the things Webby and the team could control but was hard to understand:

- why don’t we contest the ball when we kick it high near the opposition try line. Barry got to the ball a couple of times and just stood and watched the Panthers winger take the ball before tackling him
- could we have tried more offloads although that could have increased the errors
Agree on all points

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

I don't know league strategy that well but I can only presume we wanted to run more and make their big middles work harder. Unfortunately if they run over us, it doesn't work.

No idea on the competing for bomb thing, I can't see the downside.

As for Volkman, he wasn't named in the extended squad so that flat out rules him out apart from special circumstances, does it not? I see somewhere that Webster says if SJ was out again he'd go with the same halves...that's madness to me. We can't operate with that poor of a kicking game again. I know Walker and Martin defend well, but definitely against the Knights and the Raiders we need points.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I looked at Turuva's 1st try and he was in, ball down before elbow down close to touch in goal posts. But mm in it, like you said not even looked at.
Watched channel 9 coverage live, that seemed to have heavy Panthers bias and guess it was nearly the only full game of Warriors they all watched (they thought RTS returning to fullback), went back to Fox/Kayo this morning and Vossy had our back a little more on 1st try doubt and all agreed that Martin knocked it on, even Ennis.

Sweet as,cheers for clearing that up. As I said, I felt Turuva's try probably was legit but I saw it live and thought f**k I reckon that's close, but no interest in looking at it. Similar to the To'o one. It won't get talked about because no one cares about injustice to an NZ side and they'd say we got dicked regardless. Which we did, but as I say I've never felt strongly enough to suggest bias against us in the past, but that felt wrong.

Matua

Bench
To'o first try.
View attachment 79149
Short with hand on it.
View attachment 79150

Hand comes free and ball promoted with momentum, forearm never comes away, but does that constitute a knock on?
Yeah, we could see that on the replays on the ground.

Didn't anyone catch the two forward passes in the lead up to one of the tries? That was directly where I was sitting. Now charitably one or both of them could have been flat, but they could have at least looked at them.