What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game day - Panther v Warriors (Gameday)

We have no creativity in attack without you know who.
A couple of aspects missing.
Speed and Threats.
Panthers defense just had to slide, no threat of cut back inside. TMM and Walker didn't take the line or draw anyone out.
Walker didn't have the speed to get in the outside or take the gaps that presented themselves.
I can't remember CNK chiming in much.

Blair

Coach
Don't forget how we recovered from the week one finals hiding in 2011. We came out seven days later a completely different side.

Forwards so weak today.
Only AFB over 100m at 133m, which poor by his standard.
43% possession
Completion 66%
56 missed tackles.
14 Errors.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We were annihilated 40-10 away to Brisbane. Manu had a shocker. The following week we knocked out the much-fancied Tigers 22-20 at the SFS. Manu had a blinder.
Then knocked out the Storm at AAMI the following week (I was there)

Post match conf:
Webster summed it up as not building pressure. Turning ball over, offside at kicks, penalties.
Hopeful of SJ playing next week, but was hopeful this week as well.
SJ wouldn't have fixed some problems, yes some more attacking options.

Harris: Panthers showed us how to play finals football.

Matua

Bench
Forwards so weak today.
43% possession
Completion 66%
56 missed tackles.
14 Errors.
We had two props, two second rowers, one second rower who didn't get a run until 20 to go, and three hooker/utilities. We were always going to get dominated.

Webster balls'd it up this week. I know he's our messiah, but some times we have to call a spade a spade.

Wound up sitting with a bunch of kiwis in a sea of Panthers fans (just randomness in one of the stands) so had a fairly good local atmosphere and some nice hot donuts.

Being live you notice how much easier the refs are on Warriors opposition ....

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Forwards so weak today.
43% possession
Completion 66%
56 missed tackles.
14 Errors.
Yeah, the stats tell the story. Harris did run for 113, but no one else was over 70 (not including Egan). Barnett 10 runs at 69m, for your starting prop that is woeful.

On reflection, that performance was always coming. We've been winning but scratchily v average sides, had the Dolphins momentum halter, a lot of players had the week off, SJ out, it all pointed to a disjointed performance coming - especially against the might of Penrith. And we were never going to win with those halves. No pace, little creativity, and the kicking game just gifted the Panthers field position in that ultra-important first half to get the ascendancy.

The most frustrating things were the stupid errors and the fact we seemingly lapsed in trusting our defensive systems at times and the guys next to us. Montoya's early drop was a scene setter. Jackson Ford's crazy flicked off-load off the deck when we'd just got the ball back (Jazz almost decked him). Berry failing to even watch a bomb in flight. Egan's forward pass from dummy half.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We had two props, two second rowers, one second rower who didn't get a run until 20 to go, and three hooker/utilities. We were always going to get dominated.
Yeah, I don't know league in terms of strategy that well, but seems to me like we got massively outsized and that allowed them to dominate up front. Barnett got owned by JFH, and we had no other big bodies to turn to.

Surely if we got them again, we'd go bigger. I'm not a fan of Sironen, particularly, unless I'm missing something he does on D that holds us together.

Izz

Bench

Webster balls'd it up this week. I know he's our messiah, but some times we have to call a spade a spade.
Yep, actually last several rounds imo, ever since he decided to go with his weird no big man bench

Leber

Bench
If sj played, I reckon we would have scored more points but we wouldn’t have conceeded any less. Prob would have been 32-16 or something like that.
I’m really worried about the knights game. I know we are at home but they will be on the back of a ten game winning streak.
Big chance if being out in straight sets.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
If it comes down to it, deciding whether I want the Panthers or Broncos to win the premiership will be like deciding whether I want a sword or a fire poker through my Jap's eye.
I had that with Dogs v Storm in 2012, James Graham going Mike Tyson on Slaters ear was enjoyable though

In this years scenario, don’t want to see Walsh having any luck

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Most disappointing moment of the match for me was when Leota and AFB decided to have a big ball contest, but it was all mouth and neither of them took a run in their next sets with the ball

To'o first try.
20230910_080038.jpg
Short with hand on it.
20230910_080415.jpg

Hand comes free and ball promoted with momentum, forearm never comes away, but does that constitute a knock on?