What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 v NZW

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm a bit torn on Hook.

The one metric in his favor is that several players who left played by far their best footy here. Moylan has improved recently but his best footy by far was here under Hook, ditto Cartwright. DWZ and Blake were borderline rep level players here and almost instantly became memes upon leaving. Even King Katoa looked like a decent hooker under him. That phenomena isn't as pronounced with those that left under Ivan.

On the flip side Hook hasn't really done much with the Dragons, albeit in a difficult environment. For some reason I find it hard to imagine guys like Nath and Yeo developing the kind of finnesse they now have under him either.

Not complaing mind you. The last 3 years have been magical.
RCG has been pretty decent for Parra. Agree on Waqa, he has fallen off a cliff. DWZ is a bit of an enigma, can be brilliant one day and a fringe C grader the next. Katoa? lol, even his Mum reckons he is hopeless, @martielang is his only fan. I think Hook ruined Cartwright and set him up for failure by using him to fill holes, obviously his attitude sucks as well, he had all the tools to be a star, but went the meme route instead. Moyza is a bit of an enigma as well, I think he just got a big head and the coach wouldn't have mattered, maybe if he was under Bellamy or Skelator it would have been different.

I think the Dragons has shown Hook for what he is, I half rated him after his time here, but now I think he just got lucky.

Exsilium

First Grade
DWZ has moments where he's enigmatic. Then he just, as you say, falls off a cliff.

Blake is a weird one. Has everything you need but can never put it together. I feel he will be one of those players, who in several years, will be a decent first grade option but not the first picked.

Exsilium

First Grade
It's an interesting sliding doors moment with Hook being shown the door in 2018.

Would the team still have taken off in 2020 with him at the helm?

He couldn't get past week two of the finals with us but did make a prelim with Brisbane in 2011. The 2011 Broncos were a pretty good side but Lockyer broke his jaw during the finals and missed the prelim.

I think he's an ordinary coach and would have struggled big time with the Mt Druitt boys.

I am a firm believer that in any business, there are people who are right for the time and place a business is in.

I've restructured a lot of businesses and brought in people like Hook to serve a particular purpose. It wasn't to create a dynasty but to be consistent and make small steps towards the end goal. Hook reminds me of that type of hiring.

I was once given advice from a very high up executive of a tier one builder and it stuck with me.

"Those who brought you here, are not always the ones you need when its time to take the next step"

Kilkenny

Coach
We will find out a lot about the team against the Warriors, if the playing group hate losing, it should give them the extra determination to work harder. The performance this week May say a lot about where we are headed in 2023.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
We will find out a lot about the team against the Warriors, if the playing group hate losing, it should give them the extra determination to work harder. The performance this week May say a lot about where we are headed in 2023.

Well said.

There needs to be overall improvement from everyone.

This will be one tough game. Penrith to just roll the sleeves up, be prepared to work for each other, and the team. Something they weren't prepared to do (at times) last weekend.

Hopefully Fish comming back helps.

I don't care how ugly the win is......but a win is a must. Ball security and aggression (legal) needs to sharply improve.

Kenny and Luke have struggled recently too, Kenny especially with his ball security and the choices he makes in defence and attack.

As Ivan said today in media. They need to improve across the park.

Kilkenny

Coach
Well said.

There needs to be overall improvement from everyone.

This will be one tough game. Penrith to just roll the sleeves up, be prepared to work for each other, and the team. Something they weren't prepared to do (at times) last weekend.

Hopefully Fish comming back helps.

I don't care how ugly the win is......but a win is a must. Ball security and aggression (legal) needs to sharply improve.

Kenny and Luke have struggled recently too, Kenny especially with his ball security and the choices he makes in defence and attack.

As Ivan said today in media. They need to improve across the park.
At the very least we should be able to see a hunger, a desire, the will to win.

Maintaining such high levels of performance and achievement in the NRL is hugely challenging and as we are seeing in 2023 many if our competitors have improved. This season is as competitive a competition as there has been for a number of seasons.

Iamback

Coach
It's an interesting sliding doors moment with Hook being shown the door in 2018.

Would the team still have taken off in 2020 with him at the helm?

He couldn't get past week two of the finals with us but did make a prelim with Brisbane in 2011. The 2011 Broncos were a pretty good side but Lockyer broke his jaw during the finals and missed the prelim.

I think he's an ordinary coach and would have struggled big time with the Mt Druitt boys.

I am of the belief it is 80/20 players to coach. Ricky even won a comp with a stacked roster

The issue we had in that time was not having a consistent spine. 2017 particularly we over achieved

Iamback

Coach
I'm a bit torn on Hook.

The one metric in his favor is that several players who left played by far their best footy here. Moylan has improved recently but his best footy by far was here under Hook, ditto Cartwright. DWZ and Blake were borderline rep level players here and almost instantly became memes upon leaving. Even King Katoa looked like a decent hooker under him. That phenomena isn't as pronounced with those that left under Ivan.

On the flip side Hook hasn't really done much with the Dragons, albeit in a difficult environment. For some reason I find it hard to imagine guys like Nath and Yeo developing the kind of finnesse they now have under him either.

Not complaing mind you. The last 3 years have been magical.

The next Dragons coach will struggle too, The board selects the side and their young guys are soft

Kilkenny

Coach
Leaving the Dragons woes aside Magic Round against the Warriors is a great opportunity for us to show our mettle.

They have been terrific thus far but I think great opportunity for us to make a statement. We are not done, doing it tough with injuries and the like but I think we will turn up in this game.

MrBlack

Juniors
Anyone heading up for the game (weekend)?

Its a great atmosphere. Im heading up for the second time.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors

Its a great atmosphere. Im heading up for the second time.
We went last year. The weather was ordinary but the atmosphere was great. Lots of different tem supporters just enjoying the footy.
Will do it again.

It’s a great atmosphere. Im heading up for the second time.
Yep I’ll be there - always am. Friday just watching from the Cax, Saturday from the stadium and Sunday from home.

Still deciding which retro jersey I’ll wear.. Bears, Panthers, Reds, Jets, Crushers not sure yet.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Yep I’ll be there - always am. Friday just watching from the Cax, Saturday from the stadium and Sunday from home.

Still deciding which retro jersey I’ll wear.. Bears, Panthers, Reds, Jets, Crushers not sure yet.
You a bit of a Panthers fan these days?

I was a North Sydney fan but luckily I was only 12 or 13 when the "merger" happened. I walked away from that point and jumped on Penrith as I loved Ryan Girdler / Panthers weren't very good at the time.

Fangs

Coach
One change that is 100% necessary is To'o removing the headgear. I don't care how bad a cut he has it's bad luck.

I deadset think its the reason why people think he is down on form. Top 5 run metres in the competition. And in terms of wingers no one is making more metres than him.

The other reason being that teams are kicking away from him.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I deadset think its the reason why people think he is down on form. Top 5 run metres in the competition. And in terms of wingers no one is making more metres than him.

The other reason being that teams are kicking away from him.

I agree. To'o is not getting the ball from the kick off. Look at last weekend as an example. Suniva took all bar a couple of kicks off which Edwards did.

To'o is one of those player where you think he's having a quiet game. Look at his meters and go wow.........

To'o is also very willing to take hard dirty carrys too.

Latest posts