What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 v Dragons

Frankus

Juniors
Is Ivan really conservative? He has been picking one of the youngest team and debuting teenagers for years, we just played with two teens this week and we had more then one option to avoid it. Oh but he wouldnt of debuted his 18 year old son and hasnt dropped tago so he must be?

You guys are just using conservative instead of saying "he doesnt make the changes i think he should".

Also if we are talking about his decisions the runs he has on the board is 100 percent a fair part of the conversation. He isnt just a good or really good coach, he is on a run that 99 percent of NRL coaches wont ever get close to these last four years.
Great post. Ivan certainly has the runs on the board. The only other team to make 4 consecutive GFs since 1998 is Melbourne, and they did it with a cooked roster. Until our recent threepeat - it was odds on that either the Roosters or Melbourne would make the GF - since 2006 - of the 18 GFs, at least one of those sides have participated in 11 of them. I'm not saying its only been a 2 horse race, but both of those sides have been there or there abouts for the best part of 2 decades. What Ivan and the club has been able to do is not only break that dominance, but smash it - the last 3 years neither have made the GF which is the longest streak of GFs since 1998 that hasn't featured a Roosters or Melbourne side.

We are a real chance of making it to 5 straight if we can get our best side on the park and firing. If we do, it will be the first time since Souths 1967-1971 run where a team has made 5 consecutive GFs.

WestyLife

First Grade
Great post. Ivan certainly has the runs on the board. The only other team to make 4 consecutive GFs since 1998 is Melbourne, and they did it with a cooked roster. Until our recent threepeat - it was odds on that either the Roosters or Melbourne would make the GF - since 2006 - of the 18 GFs, at least one of those sides have participated in 11 of them. I'm not saying its only been a 2 horse race, but both of those sides have been there or there abouts for the best part of 2 decades. What Ivan and the club has been able to do is not only break that dominance, but smash it - the last 3 years neither have made the GF which is the longest streak of GFs since 1998 that hasn't featured a Roosters or Melbourne side.

We are a real chance of making it to 5 straight if we can get our best side on the park and firing. If we do, it will be the first time since Souths 1967-1971 run where a team has made 5 consecutive GFs.

Who said Ivan isn't a good coach wtf. Ivan just in an interview with SEN said this recent run has taught him to take more risks or he's willing to now. By his own admission he was more conservative so ill take his word over people here who take everything as an insult to coach/player/club.

Iamback

Coach
Is Ivan really conservative? He has been picking one of the youngest team and debuting teenagers for years, we just played with two teens this week and we had more then one option to avoid it. Oh but he wouldnt of debuted his 18 year old son and hasnt dropped tago so he must be?

You guys are just using conservative instead of saying "he doesnt make the changes i think he should".

Also if we are talking about his decisions the runs he has on the board is 100 percent a fair part of the conversation. He isnt just a good or really good coach, he is on a run that 99 percent of NRL coaches wont ever get close to these last four years.

What choice does he have but to play kids?

You don't think our high completion rate is from playing conservative?

Frankus

Juniors
Who said Ivan isn't a good coach wtf. Ivan just in an interview with SEN said this recent run has taught him to take more risks or he's willing to now. By his own admission he was more conservative so ill take his word over people here who take everything as an insult to coach/player/club.
I wasn't having a go at you or anyone mate. I never mentioned selections, etc. or him being conservative or not. I was only emphasising the point @betcats made regarding 99% of coaches will never achieve what he has in our current run and pointing out that the club has smashed the 25 years of dominance the Roosters and Melbourne have had on this competition. Read into it what you will.

Iamback

Coach

Exactly. We play high percentage footy and as a result pick guys to follow that

Frankus

Juniors

A simple gameplan with the highest return. Many would say conservative. Others would say smart and playing to our strengths. Open to interpretation.

Iamback

Coach
A simple gameplan with the highest return. Many would say conservative. Others would say smart and playing to our strengths. Open to interpretation.

Which is losing it's effectiveness we have the best completion rate and possession rate but sit mid table for tries scored

betcats

Referee

Could have played Peach or kepoa instead of Mclean and both our cup props could've played over Patea.

We were talking about him being conservative with selections not our playing style.

Frankus

Juniors
Which is losing it's effectiveness we have the best completion rate and possession rate but sit mid table for tries scored
We have been without alot of players for the best part of 2 months. Lets see how it goes with all our first choice players back in the side.

Iamback

Coach
Could have played Peach or kepoa instead of Mclean and both our cup props could've played over Patea.

We were talking about him being conservative with selections not our playing style.

Does Ivan trust Peach's defence? I don't think so.

They go together though. If you want players to make tackles and not create mistakes then you aren't going to play free flowing footy

Perfect example are the Storm. Their attack is based around playing eyes up footy. They sit 10th for completion rates yet are coming 1st and have scored the 2 most tries in the comp.

Lindsay Smith had a passing game in NSW Cup. We saw his skills v Broncos yet haven't since.

We have seen with Toletau getting on how much more dangerous we look. Hopefully Laurie goes into that role and uses his speed. If he misses a few tackles or makes a few errors then so be it.

So it is minor things like that. Which will change everything

Chins get the wins

First Grade

They go together though. If you want players to make tackles and not create mistakes then you aren't going to play free flowing footy

Perfect example are the Storm. Their attack is based around playing eyes up footy. They sit 10th for completion rates yet are coming 1st and have scored the 2 most tries in the comp.

Lindsay Smith had a passing game in NSW Cup. We saw his skills v Broncos yet haven't since.

We have seen with Toletau getting on how much more dangerous we look. Hopefully Laurie goes into that role and uses his speed. If he misses a few tackles or makes a few errors then so be it.

Can Laurie play 9? If not Trent is probably a better 14

betcats

Referee

We've seen Lindsay passing in first grade quite a bit, wouldnt really want him kicking to often though despite what he did in the broncos game.

Anyway our playing style is not the discussion i was having, we are conservative in a way with our style Ive got no problem with that.

My point is the idea that he has no choice or has been forced into playing younger guys is just straight up wrong. You dont get forced into picking a young team for four years while winning premierships.

Iamback

Coach
We've seen Lindsay passing in first grade quite a bit, wouldnt really want him kicking to often though despite what he did in the broncos game.

Anyway our playing style is not the discussion i was having, we are conservative in a way with our style Ive got no problem with that.

My point is the idea that he has no choice or has been forced into playing younger guys is just straight up wrong. You dont get forced into picking a young team for four years while winning premierships.

You kind of do though with the salary cap. Look at the average age of NSW Cup when we won it in 2022 compared to now.

Casey is playing now because we lost May, Garner and so on this year. Going back to letting Hosking go and not bringing anyone in

Iamback

Coach
Trent looks a lot more comfortable defensively in the middle.

He’s a genuine option for the 14 next year, him or Cole I’d say.

Laurie, looks lost defending in there. I personally think he needs to start at 6/1 or not at all. He really offers specific cover at 14.

Cole offers more position coverage.

specific cover is an conservative term though. Picking someone in that to tactically come on and change the tempo of the game changes the team.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Untrue? So how much better do you think Tago is playing than Staines was when you were defending to the hilt his position in the team?
Well Staines wasn't the worst defender in the NRL. For Tago to achieve that in the best defensive side of all time is breathtaking stuff when you really think about it.

Latest posts