What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Tigers - Bathurst

I feel like that was the loss that we needed to rethink how we are approaching games this season. We aren’t the side we have been that is obvious, but we can still defend well. In attack they just need to focus on dominating possession and field position, make the opposition work defensively before trying to go around them, tire them out a bit. We can do that if they try and get the dumb plays out of our game. The attacks nowhere near where it needs to be, they need to just get focused on 80 percent plus completion rates, repeat sets. With our defence we will win games doing that.
The making or reborn of Ivan, let's pray what you are saying is true. Peaks & Troughs

Black Diamond

Juniors
I feel like that was the loss that we needed to rethink how we are approaching games this season. We aren’t the side we have been that is obvious, but we can still defend well. In attack they just need to focus on dominating possession and field position, make the opposition work defensively before trying to go around them, tire them out a bit. We can do that if they try and get the dumb plays out of our game. The attacks nowhere near where it needs to be, they need to just get focused on 80 percent plus completion rates, repeat sets. With our defence we will win games doing that.
Agree, everyone has worked us out. Change of direction, change of game plan, getting basics right. What was working, is not working now.

betcats

Referee
Agree, everyone has worked us out. Change of direction, change of game plan, getting basics right. What was working, is not working now.

Yep. It’s not working and we keep going straight to these sideways plays. I was pretty gobsmacked last night watching us go right with these tip on plays from Dylan to critta/biz. It didn’t work one time. I don’t know if the tip on was a result of the defence seeing it coming and pressuring them or it was just the plan but either way it was dumb. All last night needed was simple direct footy not expansive and risky play. Down on troops and not in good form and they are throwing it around in the soaking wet trying to go around the defence, mind boggling stuff to me.

Coast panther

Juniors
My God we were crap... it was so frustrating watching api kill us in the wet as we got that piss poor service from Kenny and luke
Peach should never see the starting 13 again, lucky to be anywhere near the 17 same a huth
Maybe we give tito a go at centre and bring jenkins or McLean on the wing I don't care coin toss it but honestly I'd be more confident in garnz at centre peaches defence gave me anxiety all night.

Yep. It’s not working and we keep going straight to these sideways plays. I was pretty gobsmacked last night watching us go right with these tip on plays from Dylan to critta/biz. It didn’t work one time. I don’t know if the tip on was a result of the defence seeing it coming and pressuring them or it was just the plan but either way it was dumb. All last night needed was simple direct footy not expansive and risky play. Down on troops and not in good form and they are throwing it around in the soaking wet trying to go around the defence, mind boggling stuff to me.
I agree with the tip on stuff, did not work once, why keep doing it.
I am beginning to understand Brad Arthur and the x factor thing.

age.s

First Grade
Its all well and good talking about life after Kikau/Api, our hooking rotation being inadequate or arguing about Cleary vs Luai. But all that pales in in terms of how poor our middle has been at times. This has been the platform upon which our dominance has been built and we've been beaten in this area of the pitch regularly this year. In fact I'd say the Canberra/Manly games were the only two in which we won this area in any clear cut way.

Fish and May being out has been a massive loss in hindsight but take out Spencer too and we're teams like the Tigers are able to roll over us. We talk a lot about shoring up a variety of weaknesses in the squad but we can't be having many nights where were outmatched in the middle like that going forward. If last night is what a world without Spencer looks like...

age.s

First Grade
They were desperate because they were getting destroyed in the contact on the middle.

Crashtest

Juniors
We are only two wins from the first place team, and one win from teams 2 to 4. We still have the best defence in the comp, and have the third best points differential. We have two of our best forwards, that have missed most of this season, still to come back into the team. And much improvement still to come from out of form players, for everyone except Edwards and Yeo.

Once JFH and Martin are back in the team, we can still go on a run and scrape into the top 4. And even if we only make in into the top 8, the teams that finish above the Panthers would not be wanting to play them in a sudden death final game.

yes we just lost to the Tigers. But this season is far from being a write off, and the talk of winning the spoon or missing the 8 seem really early to be making calls like that at this stage of the season.

Pomoz

Bench
I didn't expect to win this game and was impressed we lost by four points and only conceded two tries, in spite of the fact we had 45% possession and made 25% more tackles. We played 65 minutes with 16 players.

The player missing was our fourth choice prop. We were missing our 1st and 3rd choice prop.
Martin was missing. Injured.
May was missing. Injured.
Tago was missing. Injured.
Garner was missing. Still not fit.

I don't know in what universe we thought we could be brilliant with six first graders missing and a seventh out injured after 15 minutes. With so many fowrads missing, we were out gunned through the middle with Klemmer making 215m and Twal 173m. Their forwards owned us.

Losing Eisenhuth was the straw that broke the camels back, with now a fifth choice prop taking the field. Couple that with a misfiring attack and we would struggle to beat any side let alone a fired up Tigers.

Of course we look poor in attack, the team had six new players in the team. We may be a development club, but we are not that good we can win easily fielding rookies like Smith, Turuva, Luke, Henry. Even Hosking is a rookie with 10 games to his name. Those players will benefit from this next year, but meanwhile, we are going to struggle.

That said, I don't understand why Jenkins wasn't given a shot instead of Peachey, who delivered his two mandatory penalties a game. I don't understand why Cleary didn't kick more grubbers, the ball was sticking to the ground in the wet.

betcats

Referee
We are only two wins from the first place team, and one win from teams 2 to 4. We still have the best defence in the comp, and have the third best points differential. We have two of our best forwards, that have missed most of this season, still to come back into the team. And much improvement still to come from out of form players, for everyone except Edwards and Yeo.

Once JFH and Martin are back in the team, we can still go on a run and scrape into the top 4. And even if we only make in into the top 8, the teams that finish above the Panthers would not be wanting to play them in a sudden death final game.

yes we just lost to the Tigers. But this season is far from being a write off, and the talk of winning the spoon or missing the 8 seem really early to be making calls like that at this stage of the season.

Not at all saying this season is a write off but look where we are sitting on the ladder, we are on the same points as the team coming 11th. Warriors, roosters, broncos in the next few weeks and origin going to take 3 players out, We are in a tough spot right now imo.

We desperately need some players back and to address our ball handling and attacking attitude