What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coaching preference for 2024

What are you hoping for in our next coaching appointment?

• Rookie Coach

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Premiership Winning Coach

Votes: 105 72.4%
  • NRL Experience coach with no Premiership wins

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Coach from Overseas

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Extend Current coach

Votes: 8 5.5%

• Total voters

justadragon

Bench
Who ever it is Ladies and Gents, we have to suck it up and offer our total support even if its for a couple of seasons, its going to take time to get the roster back in order and most importantly fix the pathways system. A strong GM and R+R is a must. As for assistants, well we will see what they have in the next 14 games. Either or anyone thats gets the position deserves our members support from the get go. Personally I think a 3 x 2 years contract in the clubs favour would be acceptable. IMO it will take 3 years to get out of this mess and that is taking into account the board staying out of it , if they can. I would also prefer for the players to start manning up as well and stop carrying on like imbeciles, show some resilience both on and off the field, pride and love for the jumper you are wearing. Eventually I have to stop blaming the board and coach and look at who is out there actually playing the game. As a combined effort we all have a part to play in getting this Iconic club back to where it belongs !!!

matPORTS

Juniors
Last night during the Members forum - a slide was put up showing what our current Top 30 list looks like for 2024:

1. Alec Tuitavake *
2. Ben Hunt ^
3. Ben Murdoch-Masila #
4. Blake Lawrie ^
5. Cody Ramsay ~
6. Francis Molo ~
7. Jack Bird #
8. Jack de Belin (Player Option) #
9. Jacob Liddle #
10. Jayden Hunt ~
11. Jayden Sullivan ~
12. Jaydn Su'a ~
13. Junior Amone ~
14. Matt Feagai ~
15. Max Feagai ~
16. Michael Molo (Player Option) ~
17. Mikaele Ravalawa (Player Option) #
18. Moses Suli #
19. Paul Turner *
20. Ryan Couchman *
21. Savelio Tamale *
22. Toby Couchman ^
23. Tyrell Sloan ~
24. Viliami Fifita *
25. Zac Lomax ~
26. Zane Musgrove *
27. Open
28. Open
29. Open
30. Open

Key (my opinion others will see different):

~ = Has regressed in performance expectations under Griffin
# = Has been neutral in performance expectations under Griffin
^ = Has exceeded performance expectations under Griffin
* = Unknown entity / Too early to make judgements

Disclaimer - some players I've listed under # are very much borderline. Tough decisions will possibly need to be made on others (Cody Ramsey for example). I might be harsh on some of those who are ~ (and we have a lot in this category).

Questions:

1. For players in the ~ or * categories, who stays (can the new coach turn them into # or ^ over the next two years) and who is surplus to requirements (in line for an early release)?

2. Does the new coach have enough influence to fill the open spots and any other spots which may open up, with quality players, as a result of others being released early?

3. Who of quality is on the open market?

qld redvee

Juniors
Last night during the Members forum - a slide was put up showing what our current Top 30 list looks like for 2024:

1. Alec Tuitavake *
2. Ben Hunt ^
3. Ben Murdoch-Masila #
4. Blake Lawrie ^
5. Cody Ramsay ~
6. Francis Molo ~
7. Jack Bird #
9. Jacob Liddle #
10. Jayden Hunt ~
11. Jayden Sullivan ~
12. Jaydn Su'a ~
13. Junior Amone ~
14. Matt Feagai ~
15. Max Feagai ~
18. Moses Suli #
19. Paul Turner *
20. Ryan Couchman *
21. Savelio Tamale *
22. Toby Couchman ^
23. Tyrell Sloan ~
24. Viliami Fifita *
25. Zac Lomax ~
26. Zane Musgrove *
27. Open
28. Open
29. Open
30. Open

Disclaimer - some players I've listed under # are very much borderline. Tough decisions will possibly need to be made on others (Cody Ramsey for example). I might be harsh on some of those who are ~ (and we have a lot in this category).

Questions:

1. For players in the ~ or * categories, who stays (can the new coach turn them into # or ^ over the next two years) and who is surplus to requirements (in line for an early release)?

2. Does the new coach have enough influence to fill the open spots and any other spots which may open up, with quality players, as a result of others being released early?

Mat i was a bit shocked with seeing we had locked in 26 players for next year. Possibly new coach maybe able to move 1 or 2 but the real player shake up will be end 24.if new coach can bring 3 decent players in for 24 then we may just get the depth we need
This is where you need a great pathways manager to keep player progression which we are sadly lacking at this stage

Who ever it is Ladies and Gents, we have to suck it up and offer our total support even if its for a couple of seasons, its going to take time to get the roster back in order and most importantly fix the pathways system. A strong GM and R+R is a must. As for assistants, well we will see what they have in the next 14 games. Either or anyone thats gets the position deserves our members support from the get go. Personally I think a 3 x 2 years contract in the clubs favour would be acceptable. IMO it will take 3 years to get out of this mess and that is taking into account the board staying out of it , if they can. I would also prefer for the players to start manning up as well and stop carrying on like imbeciles, show some resilience both on and off the field, pride and love for the jumper you are wearing. Eventually I have to stop blaming the board and coach and look at who is out there actually playing the game. As a combined effort we all have a part to play in getting this Iconic club back to where it belongs !!!

Yeah, I’ve been enjoying this thread and everyone’s take, pound for pound a lot more enlightening than the boring comments of footy legends and their muddled opinions.

I think everyone accepts that mistakes have been made in many areas, there’s problems with the board and people, sure, but you are where you are and a bad decision from 2019 or whatever can’t be undone.

So you have to look at the present and future.

I’m not anti Ryles, but these long term commitments spook me.

As I understand it, there’s 11 roosters who haven’t been resigned and if they like Ryles you might get the pick of the litter.

And players he’s worked with that enjoy his company and could buy-in.

11 players is over average for a roster cull already without additional releases, swaps etc.

matPORTS

Juniors
I too was also shocked at seeing 26 players locked in already for next year, and when I summarise the list (as per above) there is certainly a lot of players who will be on notice and deadwood who will quite likely be seeing out there time with club in reserve grade next year.

Like most of us, the talk of committing to a rookie coach long term is a scary thought. But equally, we can't make a short-term commitment either, as the chosen coach will pretty much be coaching for their job from day one. A short-term commitment will then force short-term solutions from the coach i.e. recruitment of players who might come somewhat "credentialed", but then not fit into the club.

Reality is it doesn't matter whether it's Ryles, Hornby, Young, Des, Flanno, Bellamy or Bennett - whoever gets the job is going to need at least two years to get the roster right and establish their way of doing things, then it will be another 3-5 years past that to enter a solid finals + premiership window.

I understand why Ryles wants the long term deal and why the club might actually be open to the idea.

We will need to be patient. The pain isn't over. But better times and being able to watch performances that we can be proud off aren't too far away if we get this right.

Mojo

Bench
All of the above, with the qualifier that the term is only one aspect of the contract. 1, 2, 5, 10 years is just when a new contract will have to be negotiated. The longer the term, obviously, the performance qualifiers and early termination trigger clauses etc will be included.
Contrary to popular opinion, I think our CEO is very sharp and has done a great job.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, who's missing from that list to our current squad;
1. Moses Mbye
2. Tautua Moga
3. Billy Burns
4. Nick Lui-toso
5. Josh Kerr
6. Tyrell Fuimaono

Out of that list, Kerr is confirmed to the Dolphins.

I would look at signing Moga on a T&T deal only.
Fuimaono has had major surgery on both hips, and he is undergoing a long rehabilitation. Word is he'd like to stay and is aware that his only option is a T&T deal, but that will depend solely on his recovery.
NLT may get an opportunity in 1st grade at some point over the nextv14 rounds. Then it's up to him.

The rest can leave, unless they suddenly show amazing form.

Another point here is both Ramsey and Amone have contracts but their futures are clouded at present.

Additions:
Tamale
Tuitavake
Couchman #2

shiloh dc

Juniors

1. Alec Tuitavake *
2. Ben Hunt ^
3. Ben Murdoch-Masila #
4. Blake Lawrie ^
5. Cody Ramsay ~
6. Francis Molo ~
7. Jack Bird #
9. Jacob Liddle #
10. Jayden Hunt ~
11. Jayden Sullivan ~
12. Jaydn Su'a ~
13. Junior Amone ~
14. Matt Feagai ~
15. Max Feagai ~
18. Moses Suli #
19. Paul Turner *
20. Ryan Couchman *
21. Savelio Tamale *
22. Toby Couchman ^
23. Tyrell Sloan ~
24. Viliami Fifita *
25. Zac Lomax ~
26. Zane Musgrove *
27. Open
28. Open
29. Open
30. Open

Questions:

If we are to win NRL Lotto - we need numbers 1,8,9,12,22,25 & sups 5,24.
All the other numbers are not required.

1. Alec Tuitavake *
2. Ben Hunt ^
3. Ben Murdoch-Masila #
4. Blake Lawrie ^
5. Cody Ramsay ~
6. Francis Molo ~
7. Jack Bird #
9. Jacob Liddle #
10. Jayden Hunt ~
11. Jayden Sullivan ~
12. Jaydn Su'a ~
13. Junior Amone ~
14. Matt Feagai ~
15. Max Feagai ~
18. Moses Suli #
19. Paul Turner *
20. Ryan Couchman *
21. Savelio Tamale *
22. Toby Couchman ^
23. Tyrell Sloan ~
24. Viliami Fifita *
25. Zac Lomax ~
26. Zane Musgrove *
27. Open
28. Open
29. Open
30. Open

Questions:

Fantastic post.

Answers ( perhaps anyway):

1. Broadly speaking, you have the balance of the year and perhaps beyond to find out whether or not these doubtful players progress in the post Hook era in whatever role they are given. You may expect some to qualify, others to stay in limbo and some players to fade. There’s a certain fascination to that scenario and then do you draw the conclusion from the survivors that hook was the problem? Is that a lazy assumption? I don’t know.

2. Well I hope that’s one of the reasons the coach is selected. If a coach can turn up and say they can bring marquee in the right areas, that’s a big attraction. I think ciraldo used that card, although they aren’t playing as well as they can anyway. Just my view.

3. I think there’s still some quality on the open market. Not a tidal wave and having the dolphins makes it tougher. It’s threading the needle isn’t it?

You have to make decisions about where to put marquee and where to squeeze in factory etc, unless you have good juniors rolling in like waves.

And that’s before the actual coaching!

There’s a few Uber elite players and then it’s a matter of getting players at optimum. Bellamy has done great things with factory. Mad scientist!

Ryles is still a rookie, but would have some ideas.

Coaches have to change too. They need to keep up, their ability to change and rethink things is critical. The game never stays still. New tackles, rules, plays, defences. Everyone is always after that little edge.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I hope there is a very astute recruitment officer behind our scenes with a free reign and plenty of funds because giving a rookie coach like Ryles a 5 year contract with our current stable is a very long shot indeed......imo spending time sitting next to Bellamy and Robinson is streets away from taking on a fulll blown head coaching role especially with our mob....for the want of not sounding sarcastic I hope he puts a bit more effort and urgency into his coaching position than he did as a player for us....I repeat let's hope the powers to be know what their doing offering a rookie a 5 year deal otherwise I can feel a "MARY" coming on

Last edited:
I hope there is a very astute recruitment officer behind our scenes with a free reign and plenty of funds because giving a rookie coach like Ryles a 5 year contract with our current stable is a very long shot indeed......imo spending time sitting next to Bellamy and Robinson is streets away from taking on a fulll blown head coaching role especially with our mob....for the want of sounding sarcastic I hope he puts a bit more effort and urgency into his coaching position than he did as a player for us....I repeat let's hope the powers to be know what their doing offering a rookie a 5 year deal otherwise I can feel a "MARY" coming on

It’s Ryles greedy agent seeking the longest tenure possible to increase his own percentage take.

Once he gets his fat % sign on fee, he’s not sitting up at night worrying about the clubs fortunes.

You guys bear all the risk if Ryles and his crew don’t cut it. That’s millions of dollars thrown away. And that’s after his rooster pay-out, which he should pay, not the club. His agent won’t be paying anyone anything, that’s for sure.

Rylesy has to show you a lot more love than 5 years. Bennett hardly gets that.

He’s got to back himself he can do something in 2 or 3 years and show the goodwill to sgi at the same time.

If he misses out, he’s not automatically going to pick up an nrl head coach role. They are hard to get.

Nobody wants to do a proper apprenticeship or start at the bottom these days.

Last edited:
Fair points. I suppose Ryles has the advantage of an apprenticeship with successful people such as Bellamy, Eddie Jones, and Robinson. He seems to have served a better apprenticeship than Hornby, who went straight to our coaching staff under some dud coaches before finally finding some success at Souths. I have no idea whether that makes Ryles a better option.
So did Price

2 or 5 years… more critical are the get out and pay out clauses. I’m happy to sign 5 if we have clauses. On the other hand, do 2 or 3 years and we clearly extend if performance matches or exceeds expectation.

If he’s not pumping some kind of performance into the squads he has by the end of year 3, he should be on his way at no extra cost to sgi.

The fear for sgi, the bet or gamble with the 3 year program is that if he goes ok, then another club might pounce.

But I’d say he’d be more likely to re-sign because the club would be going well under his stewardship.

It might be riskier for him to leave and start again.

I see some merit in your proposal, but I think the club should stand firm and back itself.

5 years also reeks of desperation. You begin to look like us. You don’t want that!

Last edited:

Latest posts