What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 3 vs Melbourne @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 3: Newcastle v Melbourne

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hope Jack is given more than 2 games to gel. Will be interesting if it doesnt, and a sign our season will go as many punters predicted.

mozza91

Coach
Obviously not a must win but if we’re fair dinkum we should win this with their missing players. Need our middles to do more work though.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Cogger wanted his moment. He has it. Now let us see just how far he has supposedly progressed. I have serious concerns for our yardage out of our own half with Marz out. Not to mention the fact Storm wingers are supreme aerialists.

Haffa

It will be interesting to see if Hastings plays cup. He definitely needs a few low pressure games to find something

Apey

Staff member
Obviously not a must win but if we’re fair dinkum we should win this with their missing players. Need our middles to do more work though.
I think they're still a better team than us with their halves + NAS out. Though Hughes is a big loss, they don't win vs Warriors without him.

As others have said, very concerned of our chances without Marzhew, dropsies or not.

Rod

Bench
Happy enough for Hastings to get a spell, something had to give even this early in the season. And as already mentioned it doesn't need to be a death sentence, it's more that we have enough depth that we can bring in first grade quality players. Cogger at 7 and Brailey spelling Crossland is already much better than what we did in the first 2 rounds.

Yosh

Coach
Want to see Brailey play more than 2 games in a row... Hope he stays fit and is over his injuries!!!

Hastings has been our biggest problem this year so I'm happy to see him punted. At least we have a reasonable backup unlike most seasons. Also not so upset about Marzhew being out. For all of his positives, he has as many downsides. Dead set gives me a hearty every time a kick goes his way. He loves a crucial knock-on and bone-headed penalty too.

I thought the wingers looked great in the trials.

Woody90

Juniors
Fox is saying Hastings refused to train with reserves today…

Disappointing from a leader if that is the case.

Very disappointing if true.

Also how does that look to young blokes in NSW Cup like Pryce? Gives the impression Hastings thinks playing NSW Cup is below him. Hopefully he was just shocked and will turn up tomorrow.

As much as we’ll miss his hard work and runs I’m actually not too upset Marzhew is out against Storm. Their wingers are huge and I expect with both their halves being out the plan will be to bomb to the corners.

Fox is saying Hastings refused to train with reserves today…

Disappointing from a leader if that is the case.
just to clarify here - the link in the post above is from an article posted this morning when the news broke. I've now just read articles on FOX stating what you're saying here.

I think FOX are up to their standard practice of making news when there is none. Jeez I really to hate Murdoch, and I dont use that word often.

PhilGould

Bench
Hours before any journos had picked up on it a bloke on the other Knights forum who's legitimately reliable said Hastings had cracked the shits, called his manager and left. The media reports have been coming from the Knights POV trying to downplay it by the sound of things.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Cogger getting a start was always on the cards barring some sort of massive form climb by Gamble and Hastings which road blocked it. This is a huge test for Jackson now. AOB may have also done this in part to see if he is going to learn from past mistakes at other clubs, or just fold his deck chair and go home. If so i fully support the move cos it shows an evolution in AOB's coaching discipline. He is not waiting till the horse has bolted to enact change.
I would not expect this to end well based on history.

The Knights just did exactly the same, and to a fella that assisted in taking us into the finals last year.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...o/news-story/42d0c62e22c1047912e4a0af9d118536

"South Sydney’s decision to axe Lachlan Ilias is a staggering one because when you boil it down, Jason Demetriou is essentially throwing out an entire pre-season after just two games.

NRL teams spend all summer working on their combinations and building rapport and trust within the squad that should be clear to see come Round

The most vocal person and biggest communicator in getting everybody on the same page is the halfback.

So while the hooker touches the ball the most, the halfback is the biggest communicator, and to change that voice this early in the season is a massive call."