What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd.16 v’s Cowboys

Iamback

Coach
Obviously not, but who are they?

Lets see

the current QLD fullback

The fullback we are playing against on Friday night

Ponga was 5/8th earlier in the year. So clearly he can ball play

AJ Brimson see above. Jayden Campbell has now gone to halves. 1 of them will be GC fullback.

of course Latrell

Gutho is another. Perfect example of what @Munky meant.

They have both their halves out so will run everything when they are inside the 20.

There are a few others going around too. That was just off the top of my head

Kilkenny

Coach
Lets see

the current QLD fullback

The fullback we are playing against on Friday night

Ponga was 5/8th earlier in the year. So clearly he can ball play

AJ Brimson see above. Jayden Campbell has now gone to halves. 1 of them will be GC fullback.

of course Latrell

Gutho is another. Perfect example of what @Munky meant.

They have both their halves out so will run everything when they are inside the 20.

There are a few others going around too. That was just off the top of my head
I think Dylan is pretty much on par with most on your list and given he rates fairly highly in the other key stats areas we should consider ourselves very fortunate to have the best fullback in the game.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the true definition of a ball playing fullback is one who creates from taking possession at first or second receiver on a regular basis. Most of the modern day fullbacks operate much wider of the ruck, Latrell is perhaps the best example, he creates when he gets one on one against a back rower or centre. Does his power and athleticism when space has already been created for him by say Cody Walker make him a ball playing fullback. Latrell is certainly the marquee when it comes to collecting the ball from kicks and passing it on to his wingers for them to do the hard yards.

Fangs

Coach
Just out of curiosity who are these mysterious ball playing fullbacks.

There are definitely two types today.

Those who can ball play and those who are trying to.

Dylan has said so himself recently. He isn't going to create points that guys like Tedesco have for years. He has improved and he probably will continue to.

On the other hand he is absolutely the best defensive fullback in the game. And his run metres are crucial to our game. I wouldn't trade him for anyone but it means our 6/7/9 need to be more creative in response.

Kilkenny

Coach
There are definitely two types today.

Those who can ball play and those who are trying to.

Dylan has said so himself recently. He isn't going to create points that guys like Tedesco have for years. He has improved and he probably will continue to.

On the other hand he is absolutely the best defensive fullback in the game. And his run metres are crucial to our game. I wouldn't trade him for anyone but it means our 6/7/9 need to be more creative in response.
All I am pointing out is by definition there are not many current fullbacks who get their hands on the ball early and create from there Unless of course after say a line break. But from general play, they mostly get involved after the ball has gone thru two sets of hands already. By that stage they inject themselves when they have the numbers to create. The try To’o scored on the weekend, great pass from Lindsay Smith to Dylan Edwards who threw the quick ball to Crichton try time. Not really ball playing by Dylan as such just a good team try. Just what good fullbacks do.

Fangs

Coach
All I am pointing out is by definition there are not many current fullbacks who get their hands on the ball early and create from there Unless of course after say a line break.

Probably. They need to be in a rich vein of form or be a very special talent to do so.

Ponga used to do that from a standing start. Similar to Benji Marshall but Ponga just isn't that guy anymore.

Joey Manu or Tom can destroy a defensive line from any situation. If they are at their very best. Both well down on form from previous years.

Kilkenny

Coach
Probably. They need to be in a rich vein of form or be a very special talent to do so.

Ponga used to do that from a standing start. Similar to Benji Marshall but Ponga just isn't that guy anymore.

Joey Manu or Tom can destroy a defensive line from any situation. If they are at their very best. Both well down on form from previous years.
100%. But is it their sublime talents, their power, pace or are they actually ball players. Ball players in the true sense create for others, much as I dislike him personally Cody Walker is a true ball player, takes possession from the dummy half or two off the ruck, has read the numbers, creates the overlap and the others finish off the movement.

Again my personal opinion only I don’t see great ball playing skills in Ponga, he has a great running game, where if given early ball he can create space from his elusiveness, early pace getting into a hole but actually is that ball playing or just having pace and elusive skills.

maple_69

Bench
Some teams use their fullbacks as an inside centre, we don’t. Edwards certainly doesn’t get the juicy ball some fullbacks do. It would be interesting to see how he would fare in that role these days. Start of last year basic shifts broke down when they got to him he was that clunky but now our right edge shifts are typically sharper than our left and he’s a big part of that.

Presuming Cole comes into the side for Crichton next year it will be interesting to see if our structures change to accomodate another natural ball player. Cole in that second five eighth role on the right with Edwards being the last pass guy at centre could really make that edge deadly and would suit their capabilities well.

Munky

Coach
Drinkwater is probably the only true ball playing fullback at the moment.

Hynes was at Melbourne.

Latrell has been tried at five eighth.

Moylan was, but I think he was always a five eighth who hid at fullback since he can't tackle.

Slater at the end of his career was.

Boyd was before he lost form. The entire sweep play was introduced by Bennett at the Dragons for Boyd.

Lockyer was the best I've seen.

Gutho too.

My point was that Kenny, Cogger, Salmon and Dyl are not naturally creative players. The systems will need to grind the Cowboys down to get points through fatigue as I don't see individual brilliance from the spine winning this one.

Iamback

Coach
I think Dylan is pretty much on par with most on your list and given he rates fairly highly in the other key stats areas we should consider ourselves very fortunate to have the best fullback in the game.

Again I never rated any fullback, Just pointing out those that are attacking ones.

As you mentioned. The ones who play like a 2nd 5/8th in the case of Gutho has a hand in 28 or the 62 tries Parra have scored this year.

None would suit our style of play

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Some teams use their fullbacks as an inside centre, we don’t. Edwards certainly doesn’t get the juicy ball some fullbacks do. It would be interesting to see how he would fare in that role these days. Start of last year basic shifts broke down when they got to him he was that clunky but now our right edge shifts are typically sharper than our left and he’s a big part of that.

Presuming Cole comes into the side for Crichton next year it will be interesting to see if our structures change to accomodate another natural ball player. Cole in that second five eighth role on the right with Edwards being the last pass guy at centre could really make that edge deadly and would suit their capabilities well.

I thought Suniva would come in for Critta, or move Tago into centre and give him the wing.

Fangs

Coach
Great highlights package. Doing a good impression of Luai without the passing, short kicking, stepping etc.

In fact...all he is doing is at running at blokes who probably have beer o'clock on their minds. Atrocious defence in that footage. Reminiscent of some of the effort shown by Peta Hiku this year. If he runs at him on Friday night he is every chance to score.