What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 v Dragons

Goonji

Juniors
I’m no rugby league expert. I loved playing the game but was average at it.
I have enjoyed reading other people’s opinions on these pages, most of the time.

As fans, and on a public sports forum, we are allowed to cast a critical eye over our favourite team and provide comment. For going to games and buying the merchandise that’s what we expect for our brand loyalty. However, the relentless and targeted attacks on a certain player or players in one of the best teams ever to run onto the paddock is beyond belief and totally unwarranted in my opinion. And it is as boring as hell.

After 4 grand finals for 3 wins, I’ll trust Ivan’s judgement.

John Hamblin

Juniors
I have enjoyed reading other people’s opinions on these pages, most of the time.

As fans, and on a public sports forum, we are allowed to cast a critical eye over our favourite team and provide comment. For going to games and buying the merchandise that’s what we expect for our brand loyalty. However, the relentless and targeted attacks on a certain player or players in one of the best teams ever to run onto the paddock is beyond belief and totally unwarranted in my opinion. And it is as boring as hell.

Well said I couldn't have put it better!!

Luke Bowden

First Grade

100% agree

WestyLife

First Grade

Ivan called turuva and tago out specifically for their defence. Turuva was dropped for at least one week there we are simply discussing the problem and possible solution. At this point chins suggestion of going to the left might be the best idea because it's far too late now to drop him for a few weeks to beat up on bums for confidence

Stinkfinger

Juniors

This has been going on as long as there have been internet forums. Right back to the PI and newsgroup days and maybe even longer. It will never change.

The Realist

Juniors
This Tago thing may be the dumbest topic I’ve read on here….

We are the best defensive team in the comp. The only team close to us run the same system we do….,.

Let’s focus on that for once.

Yeah, but it is deteriorating and isn't as good as 2020-23.

I have heard it all in regard to that Edge. It will be better with Martin there, it will be better with Cleary there etc etc.

Yet it was still getting carved with Martin and with Cleary (pre-injury). I can accept the argument that it's not solely Tago's fault, but then the same people defending Tago cannot seem to attribute the failures to anyone or two players other than the amorphous 'didn't' number up'.

I don't dispute the fact that issues can and do stem from infield. Before I continue I will make the following observations;

1. That there are many times during a game when teams don't number up starting from the inside.
2. Most of the time they are able to recover.
3. Panthers have been able to recover better than anyone else.
4. Yes, we still are but Panthers are not recovering as well as we used to.
5. Many of the Panthers 'recoveries' on the edge are made by the 3 man (usually the half) making a good decision or scramble OR the Centre making a good decision and having good technique to back it up.

What the Tago 'haters' or Tago 'concernists' Argue is my observation #5. Tago and those on his inside and sometimes his outside are not making those good decisions at the same rate as he (or other centres) did in the past and also the fact that this has been a concern for basically a season now with no measurable improvement in sight.

Injuries, and positional shifts have changed the personnel around Tago, yet he is the constant. It's like that person at work who blames everyone else around him for all the F ups, but despite different personnel around and differing circumstances, the screw ups always happen when he is on shift - maybe he's the problem.

The Realist

Juniors
Except it's not. You have absolutely no data to support your opinion. There are several players worse than him at the Panthers.

Without wanting to take any more time out of my work day on the Panthers Forum - I am pretty sure Tago is up there in terms of missed tackles and penalties conceded.

It would be interesting if there was a category for defensive stats that opposed, offensive stats like Line breaks, line break assist, try involvements etc,

So for example;

Line breaks conceded
Line Break conceded involvement

Likewise for trys themselves.

In the past there have been players who had relatively low missed tackle counts, but they simply let tries in by either not being in position to make, or simply not attempting to tackle (early to mid career Luke 'Dinner suit' Walsh comes to mind).

I have read somewhere that the Bulldogs have a very high missed tackle count - apparently the worst in the NRL but are the 2nd best defensive team. Panthers also don't have impressive numbers when it comes to missed tackles but we are the best defensive team in the comp.

So obviously MT is not a very reliable predictor of a defenses overall success.

What we and the Bulldogs seem to limit are the 'try conceded involvements'. If such a metric existed, it would be very interesting as to the spread amongst our players. It would definately put the Tago and left defensive edge debate to bed.

betcats

Referee
Dropping off tacke is not an issue with Tago. He has a higher tackle efficiency than Critta and that is with having made over 100 more tackles this season. He is well above Nathan and Turuva aslo in efficiency also, but that is probably Tago's fault somehow.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Dropping off tacke is not an issue with Tago. He has a higher tackle efficiency than Critta and that is with having made over 100 more tackles this season. He is well above Nathan and Turuva aslo in efficiency also, but that is probably Tago's fault somehow.
Well he does race out of the line at the wrong times if you are after a serious factual discussion

Latest posts