What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 GF | PREMIERS - Penrith 26-24 Brisbane @ Accor

Grand Final: Penrith v Brisbane

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 62 72.9%
  • Brisbane Broncos

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woody90

Juniors
Finding the Walsh criticism extremely harsh. Yeah he missed some assignments and was out of position to the panthers benefit but he is 21, those are the little areas that take time for any young player to get right. The media spent all week building the guy up and then bag him when he doesnt quite deliver on the ridiculous expectations being placed. Yeah he is young and brash and at times a bit cocky, that is good for the game. He backed it up many times this season, including in origin. Give the guy a break.

He’s only copping it because he’s carried on like a bit of a flog this year and playing into his own hype. He’s super talented but needs to expect criticism if he’s arrogant.

He’ll learn from it and use it as motivation to improve. Honestly PVL is doing him no favours.

Wb1234

Referee
Cleary is on his way to immortal status

Injury is his only threat to even more success

joeys my favourite player based on one clutch play in 97

Cleary had five such plays

im still in shock at what he did

on par with Joey in 2005 when he destroyed a qld team full of their so called legends

Woody90

Juniors
Cleary is on his way to immortal status

Injury is his only threat to even more success

joeys my favourite player based on one clutch play in 97

Cleary had five such plays

im still in shock at what he did

on par with Joey in 2005 when he destroyed a qld team full of their so called legends

Thing with Cleary is that I think playing in consistently good teams in a good system that he has at Penrith will play against in him the immortal ranks. It didn’t matter who Johns had around him or who he was coached by, he could still single handedly dominate in poor teams. Could Cleary do that? I don’t know, and tbh we probably won’t ever find out because while ever he’s in the Penrith system he’ll have a good structure around him. I’d love to see him go to a struggling team like the Tigers later in his career to try and turn the club around. If he can do that he’s definitely well and truely deserving of immortal discussion. At the moment I’d have him on par with a Cooper Cronk.

Wb1234

Referee
Thing with Cleary is that I think playing in consistently good teams in a good system that he has at Penrith will play against in him the immortal ranks. It didn’t matter who Johns had around him or who he was coached by, he could still single handedly dominate in poor teams. Could Cleary do that? I don’t know, and tbh we probably won’t ever find out because while ever he’s in the Penrith system he’ll have a good structure around him. I’d love to see him go to a struggling team like the Tigers later in his career to try and turn the club around. If he can do that he’s definitely well and truely deserving of immortal discussion. At the moment I’d have him on par with a Cooper Cronk.
What system did he have with 20 mins to go

luai was gone. Yeo was on the bench. Most of his team has given up

Joey did fit in at origin and tests better then Cleary but he’s still young

I would prefer he doesn’t play origins or tests and focuses on winning comps for Penrith

Exsilium

First Grade
I’ve watched the highlights that many times that I still cannot believe it.

You can call us smug or arrogant or whatever adjective you like. That’s some phenomenal football on show.

The refereeing was exactly what was needed. Let the best two teams play it out.

I don’t see Penrith missing the GF for at least the next one or two seasons.

Broncos would win it if they had their time over but the game can be cruel at times. If 2020 was five minutes longer, it could have been four in a row. 2023 was just champagne rugba leeeg

Iamback

Coach
He’s only copping it because he’s carried on like a bit of a flog this year and playing into his own hype. He’s super talented but needs to expect criticism if he’s arrogant.

He’ll learn from it and use it as motivation to improve. Honestly PVL is doing him no favours.

Correct Luai, Latrell any others that put themselves out there. Take the bad that goes with it

Stinkfinger

Juniors
Reece Walsh is the most exciting player since 2012 Ben Barba..
Absolute weapon with the ball, but without it, well the less said the better really. If the Broncos want to win a comp with him as fullback, there is serious work ahead teaching him to tackle and read the play. Wouldn't hurt to put Cobbo through the same tuition. It says a lot for their attack that they reached the GF with these glaring deficiencies in their side.

Jason Maher

Immortal

St. George Illawarra Dragons v Brisbane Broncos​

We're very much a work in progress. Some horridly soft defence. Some scintillating attack, and some vey poor decisions at crucial moments. Not time for panic stations by any means. On Sam Williams, I'd persist with him. I'm sure he'll come good if we show a bit of faith in him.

- Jason Maher (a Dragons fan)
I was an Illawarra Steelers fan as a kid and I hated St. George. When they merged, I either had to follow the combined team or pick a different one. I considered jumping teams for a few months over the 98/99 off-season, but ultimately the fact that all of the key Steelers (Barrett, Wishart, McGregor, Timmins, Fitgibbon, Patten, Mackay, Smith) signed on to the Dragons won me over. I may have switched to the Gold Coast had they not been killed off, or Penrith had they not taken Murdoch's 30 pieces of silver.

Your obsession with pointing out I used to follow the Dragons every time I post is quite amusing. I'm not sure what you think you're proving by it. New teams have to get a fan base from somewhere. I supported Illawarra until 1998, St. George-Illawarra from 1999-2022, and now I support the Dolphins. If this doesn't meet with your approval, so be it. You're not my real dad.

Reflector

Juniors
I was an Illawarra Steelers fan as a kid and I hated St. George. When they merged, I either had to follow the combined team or pick a different one. I considered jumping teams for a few months over the 98/99 off-season, but ultimately the fact that all of the key Steelers (Barrett, Wishart, McGregor, Timmins, Fitgibbon, Patten, Mackay, Smith) signed on to the Dragons won me over. I may have switched to the Gold Coast had they not been killed off, or Penrith had they not taken Murdoch's 30 pieces of silver.

Your obsession with pointing out I used to follow the Dragons every time I post is quite amusing. I'm not sure what you think you're proving by it. New teams have to get a fan base from somewhere. I supported Illawarra until 1998, St. George-Illawarra from 1999-2022, and now I support the Dolphins. If this doesn't meet with your approval, so be it. You're not my real dad.
What caused you to switch last year?

Genuine question

KennySterling

Juniors
Andrew Johns labeled everything the greatest of all time last night. Everything fron the opening kick off, to Adam Reynolds' apparent groin tear, probably Walsh's pink boots and then Nathan Cleary. The guy turns superlatives into common phrases.

To say that was the greatest GF performance of a halfback is just nuts. He was largely absent for 55 minutes. He missed Mam outright for one try. The backline was incredibly disjointed all first half. Yep, huge finish. But best of all time? That just makes a mockery of Joey as a commentator.
Great player, bloody awful commentator.

You weak gutted dog

some11

Referee

TL;DR

You quit on your team when the going got tough

Stinkfinger

Juniors
Andrew Johns labeled everything the greatest of all time last night. Everything fron the opening kick off, to Adam Reynolds' apparent groin tear, probably Walsh's pink boots and then Nathan Cleary. The guy turns superlatives into common phrases.

To say that was the greatest GF performance of a halfback is just nuts. He was largely absent for 55 minutes. He missed Mam outright for one try. The backline was incredibly disjointed all first half. Yep, huge finish. But best of all time? That just makes a mockery of Joey as a commentator.
To put this into perspective, Munster received similar accolades for drifting wide before straightening and finding a flying Hamiso. Both did what was needed to win a big game after being fairly average before. It's how it usually works.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I would prefer he doesn’t play origins or tests and focuses on winning comps for Penrith
Well that is not going to happen.

He might play a another season to conquer Qld. Then head to England play a season or two there, win everything. Whilst his lady friend plays soccer there.

Then they both go to France, she plays for PSG, Nathan plays Union for stupid money.

They both win World Cups, Nathan saves the Wallabies, and the Matilda's win.

Or he plays for Penrith......

Better hope he does not read this.