What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 5 vs Manly @ Glen Willow Regional Stadium, Mudgee

Who will win? Round 5: Manly v Newcastle

• Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 13+

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
Good result for us. Thought we'd lose in GP for sure. BS call on Best but Manly got absolutely dudded last week so hopefully it balances out for us later on.

Jono078

Referee
4 players over 200m for us.
Marzhew backed up his great game last week.
Dom bounced back from his shittest game to perhaps his best.
Finished the last 15 minutes without our 5/8th (again)
Hetherington only played 19 minutes, what happened with him?
Brodie Jones quite ineffective.
Phoenix is Phoenix but credit for the game levelling try assist.

Everyone else had some phenomenal efforts.

There were quite a few puzzling calls against us - especially in the first half. To the letter of the law you probably can frame-by-frame Bradman's no-try and find the knock on, but you see that as play on 10 times a weekend.
Agreed. Typical "bad team so bad call" stuff. Defence was shite at times but the attacking structure is there and most important effort, heart and desire!

Jono078

Referee
Some team stats are insane too;

84% completion rate (37/44)
Over 2000 running metres
Over 400 tackles
8 line breaks
49 Tackle breaks

Statistically was a super even game with Manly.

perverse

Referee
So Gamble to miss next week? Big blow if so. I've been very impressed with what he's bringing to the side in multiple ways.
Yup, mandatory 11 days off. Can keep our fingers crossed that Kalyn might be back, but it's probably just wishful thinking. It's likely to be Crossland.

Apey

Staff member
We're still a bit shit but we're not giving up which is so very refreshing. I'm thrilled to get a draw out of that haha. We didn't deserve a loss.

K-Man

Bench
A loss would have hurt given the overall performance. We deserved at least a draw and we got it. Question marks remain in defence at times but having a genuine attacking game plan is so refreshing. We do threaten the line quite consistently, I can’t remember feeling that way in years.

perverse

Referee
We're still a bit shit but we're not giving up which is so very refreshing. I'm thrilled to get a draw out of that haha. We didn't deserve a loss.
There was plenty to have a dig at and nitpick about the performance. Miller was very rocks and diamonds, there were still one or two non-contributers in there... but there was so much more to like about it. They just kept fighting, and they have done all year. I just really hope they can keep it, because we'll go a lot better this year than we thought we could have if we do keep it.

The best thing is we're doing it all without the bloke we thought had to carry us. That presents us with a much nicer problem to deal with - how to fit him in the mix now.

Apey

Staff member
There was plenty to have a dig at and nitpick about the performance. Miller was very rocks and diamonds, there were still one or two non-contributers in there... but there was so much more to like about it. They just kept fighting, and they have done all year. I just really hope they can keep it, because we'll go a lot better this year than we thought we could have if we do keep it.

The best thing is we're doing it all without the bloke we thought had to carry us. That presents us with a much nicer problem to deal with - how to fit him in the mix now.
Miller had his worst game for us, he literally didn't know where he was on the field. Like he smoked something before the game. Can forgive him though because overall he's been good for us.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think in a weird way losing Klem and having J saf suspended as helped us in attack. When we had those 3 big middles I think AOB thought we could just barge over teams and there was a lot of one out football, without Klem and J Saf I think it’s forced us to be abit more focused on mobility and playing abit more laterally

perverse

Referee
I think in a weird way losing Klem and having J saf suspended as helped us in attack. When we had those 3 big middles I think AOB thought we could just barge over teams and there was a lot of one out football, without Klem and J Saf I think it’s forced us to be abit more focused on mobility and playing abit more laterally
I'd say Hastings' organisation and an off season with a bit more offensive focus has helped moreso. We're falling into shape a lot more effortlessly than in years past - and able to do it 3-4 times a set and actually move the ball. I don't think you can turn that around in a couple of weeks.

There's still heaps of improvement to make - but we're actually throwing a lot of footy at teams now. Hastings and Gamble are both incredibly vocal on the field and constantly up their teammates asses about getting into position.

Old dog

Juniors
What a game, have got my breath back, effort on top of effort, score line fluctuations. Miller has yet to win me, Young and Marzhew were very good, Gags and Best tried hard, Best did score that try, Gamble gives it some, Hasting is the glue and the brains, fwds, Thompson, Brailey, Frizell and Johns were best, Dan had moments especially that pass to Johns. What happened with Johns, was going great then kept off for long time. Is Hetherington not right, quiet game. Croker copped a few, hope he is ok.

Apey

Staff member

I'd say Hastings' organisation and an off season with a bit more offensive focus has helped moreso. We're falling into shape a lot more effortlessly than in years past - and able to do it 3-4 times a set and actually move the ball. I don't think you can turn that around in a couple of weeks.

There's still heaps of improvement to make - but we're actually throwing a lot of footy at teams now. Hastings and Gamble are both incredibly vocal on the field and constantly up their teammates asses about getting into position.
Don't worry Mann will slot back in immediately and ruin the ball movement.