What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2024

WA Tiger

Bench
I think you’re underestimating Heighington.Fitness was hardly the problem this year. Far from it. I’m surprised he’s never been a captain. He may even get those silly hop and steps before each run out of Klemmers game. They obviously liked what they saw of him around the team this year.
Him and Morris make a strong combo. They’ll be the calm amongst the storms, but discipline and high standards will also be a strong suit from both. And as important they’ll both handle Robby’s temperament and Benjis at times. The fact they’re all part of 05, that’s a positive not a negative. None of them are chumps..

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
At least they didn’t make Robbie GM. That might have been not clever at this point. I’d have thought why O’Neill was booted from the club was more about optics than anything serious or serial, as has been proven since. And he’d have learnt a fair bit since he left.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I think with Bula staying now to ‘27, if the other young blokes can lift in confidence, I think we have the forwards to compete with any team, just need the halves to move us around and we should certainly be aiming for top 8 in the next season or two.

Forget about all of that. While distressing enough, the fedora f**ktard, Chairman Lee has been re-appointed for another 3 years. That seems like the smart thing to do when a club wide review has just started.

We're cooked for 3 more years, and even if he gets punted after that it'll take at least another 3 to partially recover. BTH I think the club has reached a point where it's not possible to reach continuous mediocrity, let alone success. We're just so far gone it can't be salvaged.

My tip for 2024 is that we will come last again, possibly winning about 4 games. It wouldn't surprise me if we failed to win a single game. In the words of Clubber Lang, my prediction is pain. And lots of it.

simmo1

First Grade
Is the board scared of getting rid of Lee because they are worried Bryden's will pull their sponsorship and will then have to find another company stupid enough to sponsor us?

Tigerm

First Grade
Is the board scared of getting rid of Lee because they are worried Bryden's will pull their sponsorship and will then have to find another company stupid enough to sponsor us?
I think you are right about his money, I note back door whining about his reappointment, maybe he should stump up some cash and get a seat at the table?

But thankfully, that won’t happen.

WA Tiger

Bench
Forget about all of that. While distressing enough, the fedora f**ktard, Chairman Lee has been re-appointed for another 3 years. That seems like the smart thing to do when a club wide review has just started.

We're cooked for 3 more years, and even if he gets punted after that it'll take at least another 3 to partially recover. BTH I think the club has reached a point where it's not possible to reach continuous mediocrity, let alone success. We're just so far gone it can't be salvaged.

My tip for 2024 is that we will come last again, possibly winning about 4 games. It wouldn't surprise me if we failed to win a single game. In the words of Clubber Lang, my prediction is pain. And lots of it.
No no, Lee said about the resigning “My head told me no, but my heart told me yes” You’d have to believe with that comment surely

Tigerm

First Grade
IMO, they should consider a medical retirement for Doueihi, it’s his final year and it’s said he will not be available to late in the season.
Bite the bullet and get someone to cover his spot in the roster, clubs are shedding players in droves atm, there would surely be someone who’s a good fit.

Nutz

Bench
I’m hoping they might be able to sway Benny G in coming back.

I wonder what Bryce Gibbs, Liam Fulton and Bryce Gibbs are up to? May as well have a chat with Daniel Fitzhenry and see what his plans are.
Romance is a dangerous thing.
In 05 all the stars aligned and we won a game of touch footy.
All those players except a few like Payten could be useless. Some of the best coaches were average footballers too.
I'm just saying that any recruiting we do here on in for players, coaches, administrators and support staff have to be the best available to lead us out of this mess.
Remind me of this post in 3 years to evaluate Lee and the rest of them.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don’t see a huge amount of improvement for 2024, certainly not enough to make the finals. From what we’ve signed so far and the strong rumours (Staines/Seyfarth staying, Twal leaving) I’d say this is what we’ll see:

1. Bula
2. Tupou
3. Naden
4. Toa
5. Staines
6. Sullivan
7. Sezer
8. Klemmer
9. Korisau
10. Utoikamanu
11. Papalli
12. Bateman
13. Matamua
14. Blore
15. Pole
16. Sam Fainu/Seyfarth
17. Simpkin

Nsw Cup

1. Mason
2. Nofoaluma
3. Feledy
4. Reilly
5. Kepaoa
6. Galvin
7. Latu Fainu
8. Sione Fainu
9. Da Silva
10. Seyfarth/Sam Fainu
11. Manafield
12. Tumeth
13. Lauilili

Tigerm

First Grade
I don’t see a huge amount of improvement for 2024, certainly not enough to make the finals. From what we’ve signed so far and the strong rumours (Staines/Seyfarth staying, Twal leaving) I’d say this is what we’ll see:

1. Bula
2. Tupou
3. Naden
4. Toa
5. Staines
6. Sullivan
7. Sezer
8. Klemmer
9. Korisau
10. Utoikamanu
11. Papalli
12. Bateman
13. Matamua
14. Blore
15. Pole
16. Sam Fainu/Seyfarth
17. Simpkin

Nsw Cup

1. Mason
2. Nofoaluma
3. Feledy
4. Reilly
5. Kepaoa
6. Galvin
7. Latu Fainu
8. Sione Fainu
9. Da Silva
10. Seyfarth/Sam Fainu
11. Manafield
12. Tumeth
13. Lauilili
@Vic Mackey, what’s your thoughts on where our weakness is.
I mean, that team you have nominated, isn’t a bad side on paper?
The backs have a year or two together.
The forwards are pretty damn good.
The halves are brand new, so it will be interesting how they go.
And we have some depth for a change.

While we may not make the 8, the team should be competitive enough to do so?

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
@Vic Mackey, what’s your thoughts on where our weakness is.
I mean, that team you have nominated, isn’t a bad side on paper?
The backs have a year or two together.
The forwards are pretty damn good.
The halves are brand new, so it will be interesting how they go.
And we have some depth for a change.

While we may not make the 8, the team should be competitive enough to do so?

Well the biggest issue is that there’s only 2 new players from the one which has got the spoon 2 years in a row. I realize that they’re potentially the most important positions on the park and are both (likely) an improvement on what we trotted out in 2022/23, however enough to double, let alone triple, our wins from last year? Unlikely.

TroyJax

Juniors
I think that back 5 is a clear weakness and likely the worst in the comp.
The back 3 are pretty useless defending high kicks.
The fullback can’t ball play.
None of them are very good at attacking bombs on opposition trylines.
Individually and as a unit, their defence is awful.
Not a lot of pace.
Not a lot of aggression.

Those halves are also a clear weakness.
One has played bugger all first grade, whilst the other hasn’t played NRL for years. They could be eaten alive as a pairing.

Those middles aren’t great either.
They are returning decent stats, but are rarely winning the ruck.
Matamua has been disappointing and so has Steph so far.

Fordy20

Juniors

You give the board too much credit. Wests Tigers board is made up of appointees from the board of a pokie den. Not only do these appointees elect the chair, they appoint the independent directors as well. For mine, I don't think they give a shit about how the football performs as long as the pokie money keeps flowing. The NRL probably picks up most of the tab with its grants.

Nutz

Bench
You give the board too much credit. Wests Tigers board is made up of appointees from the board of a pokie den. Not only do these appointees elect the chair, they appoint the independent directors as well. For mine, I don't think they give a shit about how the football performs as long as the pokie money keeps flowing. The NRL probably picks up most of the tab with its grants.
I don't think that's the case Gordy but that's just yours and my opinions. One of the reasons the board nembers aren't punted is maybe they love the footy and the club is financial.
I know that might sound weak considering our wooden spoon efforts but they can't tackle for the players.
The thing they have to stop is making stupid decisions. The chairman needs to start thinking about what ramifications are going to be had by any decisions made before going ahead with it. It's just one stupid action after another.

MKCS

Juniors
I think the one major thing that plagues the Tigers is coaching. Sheens wasn't the answer and Benji after a year as an assistant coach isn't either. Farah and now Heighington are also inexperienced and not going to change things.

If I was in charge I'd be entering the market for a coach with experience even if it is only as an assistant. Someone like a Des Hasler or Shane Flanagan would've been absolutely perfect, even John Morris should get the nod over Benji but somehow is an assistant.

I don't see key players wanting to come to sign for a team that has received multiple spoons and is now putting all their eggs in the basket of a club legend who has just one year of assistant coaching under his belt.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I don't see key players wanting to come to sign for a team that has received multiple spoons and is now putting all their eggs in the basket of a club legend who has just one year of assistant coaching under his belt.
A bit like when Wally Lewis was captain and coach of the Gold Coast in the early 90’s and they run stone cold last two years running.

Tigerm

First Grade

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
I wonder how long we keep taking games to Campbelltown unless we see a big upturn in attendance.